Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

Home Forums Behavior & Training Questions 10 month old adopted terrier won't leave 7yr old Miniature Schnauzer alone

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Back in December we adopted a 7yr old Miniature Schnauzer from the city shelter. We thought he seemed kind of lonely as he seemed to mope around a lot so we adopted what we thought was a 1yr old terrier mix a few weeks ago. Turns out he’s only 10 months old. He’s a real terror and constantly wants to pick on the Schnauzer. He also seems to want to bite a lot, I guess he’s teething? Any suggestions on how to get him to settle down? Charlie, the Schnauzer and Ozzy, the terrier are the same size and close in weight it’s just that Charlie is older and laid back and just doesn’t want to play and be rough all the time like Ozzy. We’re not even sure what Ozzy is mixed with but he is getting a nice looking brown and black beard on him.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Chris1948,

Well, I can really relate with your experience.
      As for me, we had a Labrador pup last year and he is always roughing around my dalmatian dogs.
      My dalmatian dogs tried staying away from him but never worked.
      We just need to keep them apart because my new pup is causing them to feel irritated at him. And he also bites a lot. In fact, our housed helper became afraid of my little lab pup because of this hyperactive behavior. LOL

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi AnnieLovesDogs, I apologize for not replying sooner. Ozzy, the Terrier, is still hyperactive at times. At other times he’s just as laid back as can be and leaves Charlie, the Miniature Schnauzer in peace. It’s like he’ll have good parts of the day and bad parts of the day. He’s right at a year now so I guess it’s still the puppy in him that wants to play. As I’m able I take him out in the back and play ball with him to try and wear him out, sometimes it works other times he comes in all excited and ready to play with Charlie only he plays too rough.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello chris1948,

I have a few suggestions for you regarding your puppy, Ozzy. You need to advocate for the older dog, or eventually he will get tired of the puppy and correct him. I would correct Ozzy anytime he goes to annoy your older dog. Let him know it’s not ok to play so rough. I would also teach him the place command. This would allow you to have an “off switch” for his behavior indoors. Place is where you teach them to lay on a bed, while inside, and they have to stay there unless you release them. This also makes them practice impulse control, which will tire your pup out ten times faster than playing with him does. Don’t get me wrong, the playing is important too, but it’s important to start showing him what kind of behavior you want from him while he is indoors so that it’s a calm space for him. I am a dog trainer at Kennel Comfort Pet Motel and Dog Training. Our website is kennelcomfort.com I have up free videos on how to train the place command if you wanted to check it out. We also have a Facebook Page that has a lot of free training videos as well. Good luck with Ozzy!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.