iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
For dog owners, house-training a new pup or helping an older dog maintain their bathroom routine can be a challenge. While most of us are familiar with deterrents to keep our furry friends from marking unwanted areas, there’s another product on the market that might surprise you: dog pee attractants. Designed to encourage your dog to relieve themselves in a designated outdoor area, these attractants can be a game-changer in the training process. This article delves into the best dog pee attractants for outdoor use, ensuring you pick the right product to make potty training a breeze.
#1 – OUT! PetCare Go Here Attractant Indoor and Outdoor Dog Training Spray – House-Training Aid for Puppies and Dogs – 32 oz
The OUT! PetCare Go Here Attractant Indoor and Outdoor Dog Training Spray is designed to aid in house-training dogs and puppies. The formula is specially formulated to encourage pets to eliminate in specific areas, reducing accidents and speeding up the training process. The spray is made with natural ingredients and is safe to use around children. It is convenient to use with its easy-to-use spray nozzle and is proudly made in the USA, adhering to high quality and safety standards.
#2 – NaturVet – Potty Here Training Aid Spray | Attractive Scent Helps Train Puppies & Dogs Where To Potty | Formulated For Indoor & Outdoor Use | 32 oz
The NaturVet Potty Here Training Aid Spray is a liquid spray designed to help train puppies and dogs of all ages on where to potty. It contains a unique attractant scent that encourages dogs to urinate in the areas where it is sprayed. The spray can be used both indoors and outdoors, making it suitable for outdoor areas, artificial grass, and puppy pads. It is important to shake the spray well before use and not spray directly on the pet.
#3 – Four Paws Wee-Wee Ultimate Attractant Dog Pee Pads with Grass Scent – Scented Dog & Puppy Pads for Potty Training – Dog Housebreaking & Puppy Supplies – 22″ x 23″ (10 Count)
Four Paws Wee-Wee Ultimate Attractant Dog Pee Pads are scented pads designed to aid in the potty training of dogs. The pads are enhanced with a grass scent, which is meant to help dogs associate the scent with potty time and encourage them to go outside. The pads are leak-proof and feature a targeted attractant to make training easier, and come in compact packaging to reduce pollution. They are suitable for dogs of all sizes and come in a pack of 10.
#4 – Bodhi Dog Potty Training Spray | Indoor Outdoor Potty Training Aid for Dogs & Puppies | Puppy Potty Training for Potty Pads | Made in USA
The Bodhi Dog Potty Training Spray is a product designed to help pet owners train their dogs and puppies where to urinate. The spray can be used both indoors and outdoors, on various surfaces such as potty pads, artificial grass, or pee posts. It is a safe and humane alternative to harsh training methods, and its award-winning formula is made with sustainable ingredients. The spray is part of a housebreaking training plan and helps to reduce accidents and messes.
#5 – PetSafe Skip To My Loo Attractant, Potty Train Dogs to Use Pee Pads and Alternative Dog Potty Solutions
PetSafe Skip To My Loo Attractant is a liquid applicator that assists in potty training dogs to use pee pads, the yard, or the Pet Loo. The attractant formula is designed to make it easier for pets to understand where they should relieve themselves. This product is eco-friendly, safe for both humans and pets, and is made in the USA.
#6 – BrilliantPad – Go Here! Puppy Potty Training Spray, Attractant, Dog & Puppy Home-Training Aid, (4 oz) Bottle
BrilliantPad’s “Go Here!” Puppy Potty Training Spray is a natural and safe solution to encourage pets to urinate in designated areas. The spray’s enticing extract stimulates a dog’s natural potty response without causing harm to animals, furniture, or plants. This training aid, when used in combination with BrilliantPad’s “TidyShot” cleaning spray, is a useful tool for successful puppy potty training. Additionally, BrilliantPad aims to improve the overall health and happiness of dogs by providing easier waste management solutions for pet parents.
#7 – Davis Go Here Potty Training Aid, 22 oz
The Davis Go Here Potty Training Aid is a 22 oz spray designed to help pet owners teach their pets where to potty. It is meant to be sprayed on and around a designated potty area to entice the pet to go in that specific spot and not on carpets, rugs, or floors. This product can be used both indoors and outdoors and its effectiveness will vary depending on the individual pet being trained. Additionally, it is made in the USA and is suitable for use with dogs and puppies.
What Should I Consider When Purchasing a Dog Pee Attractant?
When considering a dog pee attractant, there are several factors to take into account to ensure its effectiveness and safety for your furry friend:
- Ingredients: Always check the ingredients to ensure they are non-toxic and safe for your dog. Some attractants use pheromones or natural scents to draw dogs to a particular spot.
- Efficiency: Look for products that have positive reviews or testimonials regarding their effectiveness. An attractant should reliably guide your dog to the designated spot.
- Application Method: There are different forms of attractants, from sprays to pellets to drops. Consider which method would be most convenient and effective for your particular situation.
- Duration of Effect: Depending on the product, the allure of the attractant might last for varying durations. Depending on your needs, you might want an attractant that lasts longer between applications.
- Odor for Humans: While the attractant might be appealing to dogs, ensure it doesn’t have an overpowering or unpleasant scent for humans.
- Environmentally Friendly: Check if the product is biodegradable or environmentally safe, especially if you’ll be using it in your yard or garden.
- Weather Resistance: If you’re using the attractant outdoors, it’s essential to choose a product that can withstand varying weather conditions, especially rain.
- Price and Quantity: Depending on your training needs, you may require more or less of the product. Compare prices and quantities to ensure you’re getting good value for your money.
- Compatibility with Training Goals: Ensure the attractant aligns with your training goals, whether you’re house-training a puppy, transitioning a dog from indoor to outdoor potty, or trying to get your dog to use a specific outdoor spot.
- Manufacturer Reputation: As with any pet product, it’s beneficial to go with trusted, well-reviewed brands known for their quality and commitment to animal safety.
By keeping these considerations in mind, you can select a dog pee attractant that meets your needs and aids in creating a smooth potty-training experience for both you and your pet.
Do Dog Pee Attractans Work?
Yes, dog pee attractants can work, but their effectiveness often varies based on several factors. Dog pee attractants are designed to mimic the natural smells that encourage a dog to urinate in a specific spot. Here’s a breakdown of their functionality:
- Natural Instincts: Dogs have a natural instinct to mark their territory and often choose to pee in spots where they, or other dogs, have urinated before. Attractants aim to replicate these scents, encouraging dogs to pee in the designated area.
- Ingredients: The effectiveness of a pee attractant largely depends on its ingredients. Those that contain natural pheromones or scents that dogs find enticing are generally more effective.
- Consistent Application: For best results, attractants should be applied consistently, especially during the initial training phase. Regular application reinforces the designated potty spot.
- Training Reinforcement: While attractants can guide a dog to a preferred spot, reinforcing good behavior with positive reinforcement (like treats or praise) when the dog uses the designated spot can boost the overall success rate.
- Individual Preferences: Just as humans have individual preferences for scents, so do dogs. What works for one dog might not be as enticing for another. It may require some trial and error to find the most effective attractant for a particular dog.
- External Factors: Environmental factors like rain can dilute or wash away the attractant, which may require re-application. Additionally, other strong odors in the environment might compete with or overpower the attractant.
In summary, while dog pee attractants can be an effective tool, especially during potty training or when introducing a dog to a new environment, their success often hinges on consistent application, complementary training techniques, and the individual preferences of the dog. It’s also essential to choose a high-quality product and be patient during the training process.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Pee Attractants
- What are dog pee attractants? Dog pee attractants are products designed to encourage dogs to urinate in specific areas by mimicking scents that dogs find enticing. They can be used for training puppies or guiding adult dogs to designated potty areas.
- How do pee attractants work? These attractants often contain natural pheromones or synthetic scents that simulate the smell of dog urine. This smell encourages dogs to mark the same spot, leveraging their natural instincts.
- Are dog pee attractants safe for my pet? Most pee attractants are formulated to be safe for dogs. However, it’s always crucial to check the product’s ingredients and ensure it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals or allergens specific to your pet.
- Can I use pee attractants for indoor potty training? Yes, pee attractants can be used both indoors and outdoors. For indoor training, they can guide a dog to pee pads or indoor potties.
- How often should I reapply the attractant? The frequency depends on the product and environmental conditions. Some might require daily application, while others can last longer. Rain or other environmental factors might necessitate more frequent reapplication.
- Will an attractant guarantee my dog will pee in the designated spot? While attractants can significantly increase the chances of a dog peeing in a specific area, they’re not foolproof. Consistent training and positive reinforcement complement the use of attractants.
- Can I use pee attractants for older dogs? Absolutely! While often used for puppies during the potty training phase, attractants can also be beneficial for adult or senior dogs, especially if transitioning them to a new potty routine.
- Do these attractants have a strong odor for humans? Most pee attractants have a mild scent or are nearly odorless to humans. Their formulation targets the keen noses of dogs without being overpowering for pet owners.
- Can pee attractants deter other pets, like cats? Pee attractants are specifically designed for dogs. While they might not necessarily deter other animals, they also aren’t formulated to attract them. If you have multiple types of pets, it’s essential to monitor their reactions.
- Are there natural alternatives to store-bought attractants? Some pet owners use natural alternatives like ammonia or homemade concoctions; however, their effectiveness varies. Store-bought attractants are specifically designed for the purpose and are generally more reliable.
Conclusion: Best Dog Pee Attractants for Outdoors
In conclusion, a successful potty training regimen can make the difference between a stressful or harmonious coexistence with your four-legged companion. With the aid of dog pee attractants, guiding your pup to the right spot outdoors becomes significantly easier. By selecting a high-quality product tailored to your needs, you not only foster good habits in your dog but also maintain a cleaner, more organized outdoor space. Embrace these tools and watch as they transform your dog’s bathroom routine for the better.