iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
When it comes to sharing your home with a dog, accidents are bound to happen at some point. Whether it’s a hasty potty mishap or a spill of some doggy delicacy, your carpets and upholstery can suffer. And let’s face it, not all stain removers are created equal. This article aims to guide you through the labyrinth of products on the market, helping you find the best dog stain removers for your carpet and upholstery, and ensuring that your living space remains as pristine as possible.
#1 – Rocco & Roxie Oxy Stain Remover – Oxygen Powered Carpet Cleaner Spray – Spot Cleaner for Upholstery, Couch, Laundry, Rug, Clothes, Car Seat, Mattress, Sofa, and More. – Pet & Baby Stains
The Rocco & Roxie Oxy Stain Remover is a powerful stain remover that uses Activated Oxygen technology to break up stains quickly and effectively. It is tough on a wide range of stains, including those caused by pet accidents, food, beverages, and more. The formula is gentle and safe to use on all types of carpets, and it does not leave any residue behind. It can be used on various surfaces and is safe for use around pets and children.
#2 – SHOUT for Pets Pro Strength Stain and Odor Remover Spray | Carpet and Upholstery Product for Pets and Pet Households in Fresh Scent | Stain Remover Product for Pets, 32 Ounces
The SHOUT for Pets Pro Strength Stain and Odor Remover Spray is a product designed to effectively tackle stains and odors caused by pets. With its professional strength formula, it can penetrate deep into the fabric to remove any residual organics that may cause future stains or odors. Additionally, it helps prevent re-marking by targeting odors that may attract pets to soil the same area. Suitable for various types of fabrics, including carpet, upholstery, and nylon, this stain and odor remover is powerful yet gentle on furniture and carpeting.
#3 – Sunny & Honey Pet Stain & Odor Miracle – Enzyme Cleaner for Dog Urine Cat Pee Feces Vomit, Enzymatic Solution Cleans Carpet Rug Car Upholstery Couch Mattress Furniture, Stain Eliminator (32FL OZ)
The Sunny & Honey Pet Stain & Odor Miracle is an enzyme cleaner that effectively removes tough stains and odors caused by dog and cat urine, feces, vomit, and more. Not only does it eliminate stains, but it also acts as a potent odor eliminator, leaving your home smelling fresh. The product is pet-friendly, safe for children, and made with a biodegradable, non-toxic formula scented with essential oils. It’s easy to use, making cleaning up after your pet quick and hassle-free.
#4 – Muse Apothecary Complete Pet Stain and Odor Remover Enzyme Carpet Cleaner – Dog Stain Remover and Odor Neutralizer, Essential Oils Infused, Pet Stain Remover for Carpet – Pet Stain Carpet Cleaner 16oz
The Muse Apothecary Complete Pet Stain and Odor Remover is a natural and powerful enzymatic cleaner designed to remove pet stains and odors from carpets, upholstery, clothing, and more. Its proprietary enzyme blend breaks down odors and stains at the source, eliminating both old and new messes. Infused with essential oils, this cleaner also freshens the air and discourages pets from repeating their actions. It is safe to use around children and is made with plant-derived ingredients.
#5 – Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator for Strong Odor – Citrus Deodorizer for Strong Dog or Cat Pee Smells on Carpet, Furniture & Indoor Outdoor Floors – 24 Fluid Ounces – Puppy Supplies
The Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator is a powerful and effective carpet deodorizer that targets and eliminates strong pet odors at the source. Derived from fresh orange peels, it has a pleasant citrus scent that combats stubborn odors. This ready-to-use product can be directly applied to areas affected by pet urine or waste, and can also be used on various surfaces such as tile, upholstery, garbage cans, and car interiors.
#6 – Arm & Hammer Stain Cleaner, PET Fresh Soft Surface for Carpet and Upholstery, Eliminates Stains and Odors, 32oz Bottle
The Arm & Hammer Stain Cleaner is a powerful soft surface cleaner that effectively eliminates stains and odors from carpets, upholstery, and other soft surfaces. This easy-to-use spray can be applied to the desired area and wiped with a cloth, leaving your soft surfaces free of pet stains and odors. It is also safe for use around pets and children, making it a reliable option for households with pets and little ones.
#7 – Only Natural Pet Enzyme Powered Stain & Odor Eliminator – Professional Pet Urine Pee Cleaner Deodorizer For Dogs – Hardwood Floors Carpets Upholstery – Fresh Mandarin Orange & Green Tea Scent – 32Floz
The Only Natural Pet Enzyme Powered Stain & Odor Eliminator is a natural and powerful solution for removing dog stains and odors caused by urine, feces, vomit, and more. It is made with all-natural ingredients, making it safe for both pets and the environment. The enzyme-powered formula breaks down stains and odors at the source, ensuring they are fully eliminated. It comes in a convenient spray bottle for easy application on various surfaces like carpets, hardwood floors, and upholstery. Made in the USA with a natural organic bio-enzyme blend, it is a safe and effective option for pet owners.
#8 – Advanced Pet Supplies Odor & Stain Eliminator – Cat Urine & Dog Pee Cleaner Solution – Carpet & Fabric Pet Cleaning Essentials – Pet Pee Enzyme Deodorizer & Stain Remover with Cucumber Melon Scent, 32oz Spray
The Advanced Pet Supplies Odor & Stain Eliminator is a bio-enzyme cleaner designed to tackle pet urine and stains on carpets and fabrics. It uses a powerful formula to neutralize odors and remove stains, without leaving any residue behind. This multi-surface cleaner has a cucumber-melon scent and is suitable for use in homes with pets and children. The product is backed by a lifetime warranty and is veterinary-approved.
#9 – The Spruce Pet Stain & Odor Remover – Plant-Derived Enzyme-Based Cleaner for Dog and cat urine, Feces, Vomit, etc. Safe and effective on Tile, Hardwood, Carpets, and Upholstery – 17 oz
The Spruce Pet Stain & Odor Remover is a plant-derived and enzyme-based cleaner that effectively eliminates stains and odors caused by pet accidents such as urine, feces, and vomit. It is safe to use on various surfaces including tile, hardwood, carpets, and upholstery. The product is made in the USA, cruelty-free, and free from harmful chemicals, making it a reliable choice for pet owners looking for a safe and effective cleaning solution.
#10 – Bio Active Stain & Odor Remover for Pet & Carpet- Pet & People Safe – 32oz Spray
The Bio-Active Stain & Odor Remover for Pet & Carpet is a non-toxic and pet-friendly formula that effectively eliminates various types of stains and odors. It can be used on both fresh and old stains, providing a thorough and permanent cleaning solution. Additionally, the product is suitable for use on carpets, fabrics, and upholstery, ensuring a versatile cleaning option. It is also worth mentioning that the formula has not been tested on animals.
What Should I Look for When Choosing Dog Stain Remover for Carpet and Upholstery
When choosing a dog stain remover for carpet and upholstery, several factors should be considered to ensure effectiveness, safety, and suitability for your specific needs.
- Type of Stain: Different types of stains, like urine, feces, vomit, or mud, may require different formulations for effective removal. Make sure to read the label to see what types of stains the product is formulated to tackle.
- Ingredients: Opt for non-toxic, pet-safe ingredients, especially if your dog tends to lick surfaces. Some cleaners use harsh chemicals that can be harmful to both pets and humans. Look for products that use natural enzymes or plant-based cleaners when possible.
- Odor Elimination: Removing the stain is one thing, but if the product doesn’t also eliminate odors, you may find that your pet is attracted back to the same spot. Enzyme-based cleaners often do a good job of breaking down the organic matter to remove odors.
- Suitability for Material: Make sure the stain remover is safe for use on your specific type of carpet or upholstery. Some cleaners may discolor or damage certain materials. Always do a patch test first to ensure it’s safe for your specific fabric.
- Ease of Use: Convenience can be a significant factor. Some stain removers come in a spray bottle for easy application, while others may require a more complicated process of dilution and scrubbing. Choose a format that you find easy and practical to use.
- Reviews and Recommendations: Reading reviews and asking for recommendations can offer insights into how effective the product is in real-world scenarios. Vetted reviews can give you a better sense of the product’s efficacy and limitations.
By considering these factors, you can better select a stain remover that will effectively tackle the challenges your canine companion presents, while also being safe for your household.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Stain Removers for Upholstery & Carpets
- What is the best type of stain remover for dog urine? Enzyme-based stain removers are generally the most effective at tackling urine stains and odors. The enzymes break down the uric acid crystals and organic matter in the urine, making it easier to clean and eliminating the smell.
- Are chemical-based stain removers safe for pets? It depends on the specific chemicals used in the product. Always read the label for safety information and opt for non-toxic, pet-safe options whenever possible. Keep your pet away from the treated area until it is dry and safe.
- Can I use a homemade stain remover? Yes, many people use homemade solutions like vinegar and baking soda to clean stains. However, these may not be as effective as commercial cleaners at removing stubborn stains or eliminating odors.
- Do stain removers also work on odors? Many stain removers are formulated to tackle odors as well as stains. Enzyme-based cleaners are particularly effective at breaking down organic matter, which is the source of the smell.
- How can I test if a stain remover will discolor my carpet or upholstery? Always perform a patch test on an inconspicuous area of the fabric before applying the cleaner widely. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for this test to ensure you don’t damage the material.
- How long should I let the stain remover sit before cleaning it up? Follow the instructions on the specific product you’re using. Some products may require only a few minutes, while others might need to sit longer to break down the stain effectively.
- Can stain removers expire? Yes, some stain removers have a shelf life, particularly those that are enzyme-based or use natural ingredients. Always check the expiration date on the packaging.
- Is it safe to use a carpet cleaner machine with dog stain remover? It depends on the product. Some stain removers are formulated to be safe for use in carpet cleaning machines, but always read the instructions and warnings on the product label to be sure.
- Can I use a stain remover on hardwood floors? Some stain removers are safe for hardwood floors, but be sure to read the label carefully. Some products are not suitable for use on wood and could cause damage.
- What should I do if my pet ingests some of the stain remover? If your pet ingests any stain remover, consult your veterinarian immediately. Even products labeled as “pet-safe” can be harmful in large quantities. Always keep cleaning products out of reach of pets.
By considering these frequently asked questions, you’ll be well-equipped to choose and use a stain remover that effectively tackles the challenges of pet ownership while maintaining a clean and safe environment.
Conclusion: Best Dog Stain Removers for Carpet and Upholstery
Taking care of your beloved canine companion comes with its fair share of messes. From muddy paw prints to unfortunate accidents, your home is a canvas for your dog’s unintended artistry. By choosing the right stain remover for your carpet and upholstery, you’re not just preserving the aesthetics of your living space; you’re also ensuring a cleaner, healthier environment for everyone in the family. Now that you’re equipped with the knowledge of the best products out there, tackling those stubborn stains will be a walk in the park—or, more appropriately, a short stroll to the cleaning cupboard.