When Hannah Puzas brought her two French Bulldogs to a local dog park in Seattle, she had no idea that hours later, one of them would be fighting for his life.
A little while later, Puzas’ 1-year-old pup, named Jaques, began acting lethargic, shaky, and even started dribbling urine. Realizing something was terribly wrong, she rushed him to the nearest emergency clinic.
Watch a clip on the new story below (warning: it briefly shows Jaques while he was suffering from symptoms):
A Seattle woman says she had to rush her dog to the emergency vet clinic after he became incredibly sick from eating marijuana he found while they were playing at a dog park near Greenlake. #KOMONews pic.twitter.com/LANs2ODShd
— Mike Perry (@MikePerryKOMO) April 11, 2018
The vet recognized the symptoms because, sadly, they see the scenario shockingly often: Jaques likely ingested some marijuana that he’d found at the park, and it was toxic to his small body.
Although dogs can benefit from CBD oil in appropriate doses, consuming too much of the stuff can be deadly. In a story by KOMO news, Dr. Clare Foley, whose vet clinic sees multiple cases like this a month, explained:
“It can be really serious, it is all dose dependent, and it also has a lot to do with the size of the pet. It can actually slow the heart rate and the respiratory rate so much that the pet could pass away.”
Owner believes her French bulldog ate marijuana at an off-leash park near Green Lake. He got very sick but is doing well now! She wants people to be more careful in Seattle parks, where dogs can find & eat things easily. #komonewspic.twitter.com/w3HoP4yoCL
— Gabe Cohen (@GabeCohenKOMO) April 11, 2018
The pooch was treated with fluids and charcoal, and amazingly, he pulled through. Puzas is thankful that her beloved dog is alright, but it’s hard to know that he suffered because of the actions of a careless human. She told KOMO news:
“It’s just frustrating because this is something that could have been totally prevented.”
The dog mom wants to warn others about this scary scenario, one that many pet parents may have never even considered.
“Clean up after yourselves,” Puzas said in the story. “Marijuana is legal, but it’s not legal to throw your trash anywhere. Nor is it considerate.”
(h/t: KOMO news)
Do you want a healthier & happier dog? Join our email list & we'll donate 1 meal to a shelter dog in need!