close

Project Play Update: Nearly 30,000 Toy Donations Funded for Shelters! Shop ...read more

If Your Dog Swallows Any Of These Common Items, Head To The Vet

Advertisement

Dogs “see” the world through their noses, and taste is closely tied into their sense of smell. Some veterinarians and animal behaviorists feel that this may be why pups snag items that are most certainly not food. Whether they swallow a dangerous substance out of curiosity, excitement or just by accident, seeking veterinary help quickly can make all the difference.

Here are some common materials that pups have been known to gobble that definitely warrant a visit to the vet.

trashdog
Image Source: Instagram/Im_HappyTheDoodle

 

Poop

As disgusting as this little habit may be, consuming feces is very rarely life-threatening. Dogs tend to eat their own stool, that of other dogs, cats, or local wildlife. If the animal whose poop is being snacked on lives in your home, you’re in luck! Veterinarians carry a powdered substance you can add to food to help break the habit.

pooptoy
Image Source: Instagram/SnowBabySaysWoof

 

If your pooch snaps up poop morsels from the park or around the neighborhood, watch for signs of GI distress like vomiting and diarrhea. Visit your veterinarian for an exam and fecal analysis to check for intestinal parasites and infectious bacteria. All dogs with Coprophagia (the habit of eating feces) should be dewormed regularly by a veterinarian.

Paper

Some dogs just can’t get enough of paper shredding. My parents’ Shih-Tzu sneaks into the bathroom at every opportunity and TP’s the whole house. If your pup swallows a scrap of paper, there’s no need for panic – it will pass through the digestive tract.

paperpoodle
Image Source: Instagram/JadeFranchina

 

However, large amounts of paper or super-absorbent products like tampons, pads and some paper towels are another story. This material expands in the gut and is a common cause of foreign bodies in dogs. X-rays should be taken to see if the item can pass on its own or if surgical intervention is needed.

bandw
Image Source: Instagram/NevadaClutter

 

Metal

Depending on the size, shape, positioning, and type of metal ingested, this could be very serious. Pennies pose the risk of zinc poisoning, depending on the year they were minted. Sharp or pointy objects like pins, nails, or razor blades can potentially perforate the intestines, and large pieces could cause blockages. Even if your pup only swallowed small bits of metal, immediate veterinary care should be sought. Better safe than sorry.

coindog
Image Source: Instagram/Anny_Turic

 

 

Cloth or Soft Toys

Pieces of plush toys, socks, underwear and panty hose are among the most common items surgically removed from dogs each year. Again, small bits of material may pass without issue, but often dogs are bigger thieves than we realize. Some dogs have gone in for the surgical removal of a single sock, only to have the veterinarian locate 4 or 5 more!

toydog
Image Source: Instagram/Marielle2678

 

Bone

There’s nothing pups love more than a real bone to gnaw on. If you decide to allow your pup to chew real bones (but never cooked ones!), be sure to monitor him closely. A swallowed bone could lead to big trouble, as large chunks may be too solid and dense to pass through the GI tract. Swallowed bones often require surgical removal, so be vigilant and contact your vet if your dog accidentally ingests a large piece of bone.

bonereal
Image Source: Instagram/PixelTheSamoyed

 

Nature

Dogs adore the great outdoors – so much that they sometimes like to take pieces home with them by swallowing leaves, rocks or sticks. Large amounts of leaves can block the intestines, and sticks may cause injuries to the GI tract or become wedged. Leaf eaters also run the risk of ingesting toxic plants or a poisonous mushroom.

rockyorkie
Image Source: Instagram/BiewerYorkie_Ryan_Munich

 

Even heavier and denser than bone, rocks are very difficult to pass and frequently end up requiring surgical removal. Basically, if your pup takes a bite out of nature, it’s time for a visit to your favorite doggy doc!

Miscellaneous

Batteries, rubber, some table foods, household chemicals and several medications also pose threats to dogs. When in doubt, contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661 for advice, and seek immediate veterinary attention in an emergency.

coffeedog
Image Source: Instagram/CountertopCocker

Featured Image via Instagram/AmyRack84

Written by Dina Fantegrossi

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Story Page
×

Would you donate 10 seconds of your time to help shelter dogs?



[X] CLOSE

Signup for Our Newsletter, and We'll Donate 1 Meal to a Shelter Dog In Need!

We created a FREE email newsletter that’s packed with health & training tips, safety info, and products that support animal shelters. Can we send it to you?

Thank you for signing up!
[X] CLOSE