Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

Home Forums Breeds Cocker Spaniels Behavior & Training Questions

11 month old cocker not grasping outdoor recall

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

My lovely cocker is 11 months old, he is trained in most things. Sit, down, paw, high five, roll over, indoor voice (as he’s rather noisy), can ask him to stop shouting and he will become quiet and talk. If indoors recall to the word ‘come’ is perfect. He knows the difference between down and get down. Is fine on the lead, occasional pull but you give him the command and he happily trots next to you. He evens knows the difference between stay and wait. The one problem I have is outdoor recall, as soon as you get outside of his normal surrounding (house/garden) nose to the ground and he just won’t listen. I’ve tried alsort, treats, whistle, clicker and now we are on a recall lead with a whistle but nothing and because he is on a lead he doesn’t venture far, take him off and he’s gone! He won’t leave other dogs alone and we don’t have anywhere close that is properly fenced in so I worry I won’t catch him in time! He also won’t fetch when we are out but will play fetch in the garden. Confused.com and need some help/advice!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The 6 Most Unique Qualities of Cocker Spaniels
The 7 Most Unusual Habits of Cocker Spaniels
Ultimate Cocker Spaniel Puppy Shopping List: Checklist of 23 Must-Have Items
How Much Do You Feed a Cocker Spaniel
The 5 Love Languages of Cocker Spaniels
The History and Origin of the Cocker Spaniel: A Comprehensive Look