Learn More

Home Forums Breeds Staffordshire Bull Terrier Health Questions

2 yr old allergic to everything

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sheila76
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I have have a staffy who is allergic to trees, grass, etc. Currently I’m giving her 16 mg of Apoquel daily and it’s to be taken the rest of her life. However, she still bites at her paws and I’ve already changed her food to grain free. The very wants me to up her dosage of meds, but it’s too much for a 2yr old, so I wanted to know if anyone knows what I can give her naturally or what I can apply to her paws directly?

I appreciate any advice on this, thanks!

Anonymous
      Inactive

My staffy takes the same dosage of Apoquel for her allergies and I also give her generic brand of benadryl to supplement it. She is also horribly prone to yeast infections of the skin and ears. Our vet told us grain free wasn’t as big a problem as food with high carbs (carbs turn to sugar and sugar feeds yeast) and more than one source of protein. I feed her Acana Lamb & Apple and now she very rarely has a yeast outbreak. Hope this helps, good luck with your pretty girl!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 4.5 year old allergic to everything. Had her allergy tested to learn that she’s allergic to flaxseed and alfalfa (both found in most dog foods) as well as lamb (which we were feeding her). Switched her onto Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient Turkey and saw a reduction in the constant paw chewing and licking. Then used medicated prescription shampoo prescribed from the vet to get the yeast infections in her paws under control.
      To battle her many, many environmental allergies we tried doing the allergy injections, but she reacted to those with abnormal swelling and sensitivity and the vet told us to give up on the shots. We try to wipe her paws with sensitive skin baby wipes when she comes in from playing (as she has grass allergies) and wash her paws a couple times a week without doing a full bath when she starts licking them a lot. We’ve tried benadryl but we usually don’t see any difference. We apply bag balm to her paw pads at night, and pet her until she falls asleep to prevent her from licking it off, to help the pads from getting cracked and dried out from the licking. This helps a little bit, but takes days before the cracks aren’t as bad.

So maybe do food allergy testing (if you have not already), use the medicated shampoo, and see if bag balm helps keeping the paws from getting as dry. Good luck!! Allergies are THE worst!

Winoism
      Participant

I have a 9 year old Staffy that is the same way. Hes allergic to everything. We have curbed his chewing and licking of his feet by doing these things: 1) Allergies are stronger at different times of the year so we bath him 1 a week in a hypoallergenic natural shampoo that has hydrocortisone in it. Bath him in cool water. let the soap sit on the skin for 10 min then rinse thoroughly. Then we rinse his paws in a diluted solution of apple cider vinegar and water. Paws get yeast infections (dark between the toes and pads). This neutralizes the yeast.
      2) yes diet. Dogs can be allergic to beef, lamb etc due to those animals eating grass…a grain free ( no rice, wheat, corn, barley, alfalfa, etc) definitely helps. We make our own food, mostly cause ALL dog food is junk. We cook chicken, duck, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots and sometimes make a stew for him or just chop it up into his bowl. We also have a friend who sells dehydrated treats for dogs, beef heart, tounge, chicken and duck feet etc. No store bought treats3) We try to keep the grass cut short and we have dog shoes we put on him from time to time when hes outside, but he hates it. We also put baby socks on him when hes in the house, because rough surfaces, or carpet irritate tender feet which creates a vicious circle. This adds padding and a barrier to stop licking/ chewing. You can put camomile lotion on the paws to ease irritation before the socks go on. We use elastic sports tape to help keep them on. Not tight but snug. It flex’s so it moves with the walking motion.
      It seems like a lot of work and it is. Also your dog is only 2. Your dog can naturally build an immune to a lot of allergies. Just remember, ALL dogs are allergic to grains, pollen etc, some just more so than others, especially the bullie breeds.
      Hope this info helps somewhat and good luck. Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The 7 Most Unusual Habits of Staffordshire Bull Terriers
How Much Do You Feed a Staffordshire Bull Terrier
The 6 Most Unique Qualities of Staffordshire Bull Terriers
The 5 Love Languages of Staffordshire Bull Terriers
The History and Origin of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier: A Comprehensive Look
10 Life Lessons You Can Learn from a Staffordshire Bull Terrier