If you’re looking for a quality and effective CBD / full spectrum hemp pet treat for your dog, we’ve got you covered.
Whether your dog suffers from stress, has joint discomfort or mobility issues, or has been suffering from seizures, there are CBD dog treats perfect for your four-legged friend. But, how do you know which CBD & hemp treats are going to be the ones that will give you a happier and healthier dog?
We’ve researched some of the best suppliers of dog hemp treats to bring you our top 9 picks that will support your dog in whatever they need.
(Consult your veterinarian before giving your dog hemp treats for the first time.)
Best CBD Treats for Dogs: Our Top 9 Picks
- Cannanine – Tastiest CBD Treats for Dogs
- Honest Paws – Best CBD Dog Treat for Cognitive Support
- Penelope’s Bloom – Best CBD Treats for Large Dogs with Stress
- HolistaPet – Best CBD Calming Treats for Dogs with Stress
- Fomo Bones – Best 100% Natural CBD Dog Treats
- Zatural – Best CBD Soft Chews
- Charlotte’s Web – Best CBD Hemp Dogs Treats for Seizures
- Koi – Best CBD for Dogs with Joint Pain
- Extract Labs – Best CBD Dog Treats for Seizures
Best CBD Dog Treats: Who We Picked & Why
Here it is, dog owners—our favorite hemp dog treats for 2023. We have everything including soft chews, peanut butter flavored treats, treats to help with seizures, those to keep your dog relaxed, and more.
1. Cannanine – Best Overall CBD Treat for Dogs
Your dog won’t be able to resist Cannanine’s Bacon Flavored hemp Soft Chews, which are packed with high-quality hemp oil made from hemp and contains zero THC, so your dog won’t feel any psychoactive effects. Your pup is sure to love the delicious bacon flavor, just like other dogs who’ve tried these chews. Most importantly, the 5mg of hemp per soft chew ensures your dog gets all the benefits of hemp in one tasty mouthful.
- Products are completely THC-free
- Made from organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Tested for purity and toxins, with results available publicly
- Risk-free money-back guarantee
- Every purchase donates 7 meals to shelter pets
- The brand has a limited number of hemp treats for dogs.
Why We Like Cannanine Hemp Dog Treats
These delicious bacon treats contain a patented nano-sized microemulsion of hemp oil to enable maximum bioavailability and absorbability, This means your dog gets the maximum benefits of the hemp, which includes:
- Reducing pain
- Helping with stress
- Supporting cognitive function
- Helping with loss of appetite
The treats themselves are thoroughly tested to ensure there are no bacterias, heavy metals, yeast, mold, or other toxins that could potentially harm your pup. And, they’re completely human grade, ensuring only the best for your best friend.
Additionally, the chews, like the entire product line from Cannanine, are 100% THC-free, so pet parents don’t need to worry about their dog getting high. You only need 1 chew for every 30 pounds of body weight, so you’re getting pretty good value for money out of each jar.
2. Honest Paws – Best CBD Dog Treats for Cognitive Support
If your dog is having behavioral issues related to stress, the Calm Soft Chews can help settle your four-legged friend’s news in as little as an hour. They may also help support healthy brain function, while your dog enjoys the poultry flavor.
- Made from organic ingredients with no artificial flavors
- Huge range of hemp treats
- Subscribe and save
- Third-party tested for safety
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No treats specific to dog size, so it could be expensive for large dogs
Why We Like Honest Paws Hemp Dog Treats
These dog chews are packed full of ingredients to help improve your dog’s overall wellbeing, including:
- Organic hemp oil, which is free of GMO, soy, and other contaminants, as confirmed by third-party testing.
- L-Theanine, an amino acid that has been shown in studies to provide a calming effect in cats and dogs.
- Tryptophan, known to promote a better quality of sleep and easing of occasional stress.
- Calm terpenes, such as limonene and linalool, may have a calming effect, lift mood, and provide pain relief in dogs.
The calming soft chews have been third-party tested and are verified as safe and free of toxins, so you can give them to your furry best friend without any worries. The soft texture and natural poultry flavor will ensure that even the pickiest dog will enjoy these hemp treats.
There are hemp treats in the Honest Paws product range addressing a range of concerns, including mobility, calm, and immunity all in delicious flavors such as creamy coconut and turmeric.
3. Penelope’s Bloom – Best CBD Treats for Large Dogs with Stress
If you have a large dog, the Stress Hemp Treats from Penelope’s Bloom are ideal for instilling a sense of calm in your anxious pet. With 20mg of hemp in each tasty treat, they are also suited to dogs who need a little bit extra to soothe them in times of stress.
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- Oven-baked in small batched to guarantee quality
- Suitable for dogs in all stages of life
- Third-party tested for safety and effectiveness
- Wide range of hemp pet treats to address different concerns
- Not easy to give to smaller dogs to get the dose right
Why We Like Penelope’s Bloom Hemp Dog Treats
The treats from Penelope’s bloom are specially formulated for stress and fear, crafted to decompress your dog during stressful situations like fireworks, travel, trips to the vet, or thunderstorms. With additional active ingredients known to help reduce stress—like L-theanine, chamomile, valerian root, and passion flower—these hemp treats may also help:
- Keep your dog calm and balanced
- Maintain the signs and symptoms of daily stress
- Calm hyperactivity
- Soothe digestive issues that are elevated in stressful situations
- Regulate sleep cycle
All Penelope’s Bloom products are third-party lab-tested to ensure product safety, effectiveness, and potency of hemp, so you know that the treats are safe for your beloved pet. Plus, the sweet potato flavor will be hard for your dog to ignore.
Penelope’s Bloom has a wide range of tasty hemp treats, including those for smaller dogs, and hemp treats for heart and immunity, and for joint health and mobility.
Related: Best CBD Gummies for Dogs
4. HolistaPet – Best CBD Calming Treats for Dogs with Stress
If your dog is suffering from nervous or anxious behaviors, such as separation fear or fear of loud noises, the hemp calming treats from HolistaPet, are a great choice to maintain a calm energy in your anxious pet. Don’t worry, there is no THC, so your pet won’t get stoned, just enjoy the relaxing benefits of the holistic formula.
- 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Different options for different size dogs
- Third-party lab tested
- Extensive product line of hemp dog treats
- Subscribe and save
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Some hemp treats are on the expensive side compared to other brands
Why We Like Holistapet Hemp Dog Treats
Nervous dogs will find quick calming relief with the hemp dog treats from Holistapet and there will be some very happy tails with the delightful green apple and peanut butter flavor. You’ll know you’re giving your dog the correct dose, as they have options for different sizes of dog.
The entire product line from Holistapet is completely free from THC and is cruelty-free—so pet parents can have peace of mind. They are also enhanced with chamomile and L-theanine to increase alpha ware generation to help reduce your dog’s fear.
You won’t have to worry about the treats causing stomach issues for your dog as they are made from the best plant-based superfood ingredients, as well as being free of no artificial colors or flavors, gluten-free, dairy-free, and GMO-free.
5. FOMO Bones – Best 100% Natural CBD Dog Treats
FOMO Bones aims to do just what the name suggests, stop pet parents and their pets from feeling like they’re missing out when they’re apart. The Hemp Soft Chews each contains 5mg of naturally-occurring hemp that will help your dog feel relaxed and calm when they are home alone.
- 100% natural ingredients
- NASC certified
- Lab-tested with results available
- Subscribe and save
- Money-back guarantee
- Only one line of hemp treats
Why We Like FOMO Bones Hemp Dog Treats
The hemp dog treats from FOMO Bones were created so you and your furry friend can enjoy your time apart without worry. Aside from hemp, the bone-shaped chews have the added benefits of additional dog-safe ingredients, including tryptophan, chamomile, valerian root, and passion flower, which may boost levels of GABA, a feel-good chemical.
FOMO Bones take the health of your beloved pet very seriously by testing their hemp treats using a third-party lab, to determine their safety and potency. The test results are published online, so you can see for yourself that they are free from harmful microbes.
While FOMO Bones only has one hemp dog treat, they also have a hemp oil pet tincture, which makes it easy to give your dog or cat just the right dose of hemp.
6. Zatural – Best CBD Soft Chews
If you have a dog that prefers soft chews instead of crunchy treats, then Zatural have the perfect hemp option for you. These hemp chews are great for older dogs who prefer the soft texture and the meaty-flavor will get any pup’s tail wagging!
- No THC
- Organically-grown hemp
- No chemicals, toxins, or other harmful ingredients
- Only one flavor option
Why We Like Zatural CBD Dog Chews
The hemp soft chews by Zatural are great because the formula was invented by a veterinarian, so you know it’s good. It’s made with all natural ingredients, which can help reduce your pup’s pain, fear, stress, and more.
The hemp comes from organically-sourced hemp and the manufacturing process is conducted entirely in the U.S. in a GMP-compliant facility.
If you are trying Zatural soft chews for the first time but your pup isn’t happy with the flavor (or you aren’t happy with the results), you have a full 60 days to request a refund.
7. Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews – Best CBD Dog Treats for Seizures
If you’re worried about your dog’s health and well-being, the Calming Chews from Charlotte’s web will help keep your pup calm and relaxed through a number of stressful situations, including traveling, hospitalization, or loud noises.
- Organic hemp
- Non-GMO and toxin-free
- Large hemp product line
- Quality tested over 20 times
- NASC certified
- Subscribe and save
- 60-day guarantee
- Small hemp dosage per treat is not ideal for large dogs
Why We Like Charlotte’s Web Hemp Dog Treats
With 2.5mg of hemp in each of the soft chews, these calming dog treats have a delicious chicken flavor that will have your pet giving you a paw for more. The relaxing effects of the hemp extract are boosted with the all-natural valerian root, chamomile, and passionflower extract, which also have a calming effect.
Charlotte’s Web produces some of the safest treats on the market, quality testing their tasty soft chews over 20 times to ensure they are completely free from harsh chemicals or pesticides.
The hemp product line from Charlotte’s Web is extensive, with a range of dog treats and hemp extract drops designed for skin health and allergy support, hip and joint support, and even for senior dogs.
8. Koi – Best CBD for Dogs with Joint Pain
If peanut butter is your dog’s treat of choice, they will love the tasty green apple and peanut butter flavor hemp treats from Koi Pets. They are made from all organic ingredients with 5mg of hemp per treat to keep your dog calm and help ease joint pain.
- Support joint health
- Non-GMO organic ingredients
- Third-party tested
- Additional healthy ingredients including coconut oil and organic applesauce
- Subscribe and save
- Not as an extensive product range as some other brands
Why We Like Koi Dog Treats
The hemp extract of these delicious dog treats ensures your pet is getting the full benefits of the hemp to support their overall wellness. The addition of L-theanine and chamomile boosts the calming effect, making for a happier and more relaxed pet.
The quality of their products is important to Koi Pets, with each batch of CD treats being tested multiple times to ensure they are the best they can be. The results of potency and purity tests by accredited third-party labs are publicly available, so you can see for yourself that the quality is there.
The pet range from Koi has several options to support your dog’s health, including irresistible blueberry and sweet potato treats for immune support, and yummy pumpkin spice and cinnamon bones to ease aching joints.
9. Extract Labs – Best CBD Dog Treats for Seizures
The 100% natural dog treats from Extract Labs are made from healthy, certified organic ingredients. WIth 10mg of hemp oil per delicious biscuit, these treats can help your furry friend with stressful situations, joint problems, and issues with seizures.
- Certified organic ingredients
- No THC
- Lab results for each batch
- 10mg hemp concentration per treat makes hemp dosage difficult for small dogs
Why We Like Extract Labs Hemp Dog Treats
The treats from Extract Labs don’t just do good for your dog. You’ll feel great knowing that every purchase of Fetch hemp dog treats helps fund research at CSU Veterinary School and Extract Labs donates 10% of proceeds to the study of hemp’s effects on canine cancer cells.
You’ll have no concerns giving these hemp treats to your dog, as you can see the certified lab results for each batch. The extensive results will show you the potency of active ingredients and the purity, showing that the treats are completely free of solvents and toxins, as well as absent of mold and bacteria.
How We Chose the Best CBD Treats for Dogs
There are two primary ways of extracting hemp oil from a plant, CO2 extraction and solvent extraction. We ensured that the hemp treats on our list used the CO2 extraction method. Solvent extraction, although cheaper, can result in the residue of solvents such as butane or propane, in the product, both of which are toxic to dogs.
In CO2 extraction, hemp oil is extracted from the hemp plant in a high-pressure CO2 chamber. This method of extraction creates oils with a higher concentration of hemp, without any of the toxins.
It was very important that all the hemp treats we chose had a certificate of analysis, which shows the type and amount of cannabinoids in the product. This protects your dog from potentially ingesting poor quality products, so when looking at the certificate of analysis, there are some things to look out for:
- The Hemp content is the same as advertised.
- The treats contain no more than 0.03% THC, the psychoactive compound in hemp.
- That there are no contaminants in the treats, and those with organic ingredients were favored.
We chose brands that make their test results public, so you can dig in and see for yourself just how great these products are. Results are usually linked to from the product page online—easy to find and (fairly) easy to read.
Benefits of Hemp Dog Treats
Hemp-derived products, like hemp, work with a dog’s endocannabinoid system, which helps to regulate several body systems. This may help your dog in a number of ways. The main reasons why pet owners choose to give their dog hemp oil or treats include to:
- Help calm anxious pets
- Relieve pain (especially joint pain in dogs)
- Help with seizures
- Calm allergy symptoms
- Avoid having to use prescription medications
Many also opt for hemp products because they are organic, non-GMO, don’t contain gluten, and are free from toxins.
Promoting a sense of calm
Hemp can work quickly in relieving your dog’s stress when given by mouth, typically taking between 5 to 20 minutes to work. The effects of hemp on stress are most effective when given over a period of time, so if your dog is often stressed, a daily hemp treat may be best.
Many dog owners find hemp to be effective to relieve stress due to separation, loud noises (e.g., fireworks), crowds, and strangers.
Whether your dog has joint stiffness, nerve pain, or another form of pain, hemp can ease your pet’s discomfort without the harmful side effects of pain medications. The naturally-occurring hemp binds to receptors in the brain and nervous system, altering the way your dog perceives pain.
Joint and Mobility Issues
The pain medications usually prescribed by a vet for joint problems can have a number of side effects, including kidney and liver damage. Mobility soft chews and treats with hemp can have a similar soothing effect on the joints but without the same risk of side effects.
A study by Colorado State University showed that in 89% of dogs with epilepsy that received hemp their seizures were significantly reduced. This demonstrates that hemp may be a viable option in treating seizures in dogs, but without the side effects of certain antiepileptic medications.
Allergies in dogs are difficult to treat, and skin conditions can be really distressing for our furry friends. Hemp treats can help relieve itchy, dry, and irritated skin, as well as stimulate the growth of new healthy skin cells.
Side Effects of Giving Your Dog CBD Treats
While the research on the side effects of hemp on dogs is still in its infancy, there are some potential side effects based on how hemp has been shown to affect humans, These include:
- Dry mouth, which may lead to poor dental health.
- Lethargy and drowsiness, which could indicate a too large dose.
- Low blood pressure, which may cause a temporary feeling of light-headedness in your dog.
- Upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting, especially if your dog is new to hemp.
- Overactive appetite.
- In rarer cases, increased seizures and impaired mental functioning.
Giving Your Dog Hemp Treats for the First Time
Here are some handy hints if you’re starting your pets on hemp treats for the first time:
- Read the package carefully, and stick to recommended daily doses.
- Speak to your veterinarian to see if hemp dog treats are a good option for your dog’s health.
- Wait for 30 days before adjusting the dose as you see necessary.
- Look for a flavor your dog loves, such as peanut butter.
- If you have a picky dog who doesn’t take treats, consider adding a hemp oil or tincture to your dog’s food.
- Give hemp treats daily for your dog to receive the full benefits.
- Try different types of hemp products to see what works for your pet (e.g., if your dog doesn’t like hemp oil, try calming soft chews).
- Make sure you follow directions and give the right hemp dosage for your dog’s weight.
What is CBD?
Hemp is an active ingredient derived from the hemp plant — or Cannabis sativa — and contains less than 0.3% of THC, meaning it doesn’t have the psychoactive effects as THC does.
Hemp products have many health benefits for both pets and pet owners, making them a popular choice for those looking for a natural remedy.
Do Hemp dog treats work?
While there is limited scientific evidence on the effects of hemp on dogs, there is the suggestion from owners and human studies, that hemp oil hemp dog treats provide many health benefits and can:
- Help ease pain
- Control seizures
- Improve mobility
- Help keep an anxious pet calm
- Support the immune system
How many CBD treats can I give my dog?
That all depends on the size of your dog. Typically the dosage rule is between 1 and 5mg of hemp for every 10 pounds of body weight. So, if your dog weighs 20 pounds and each treat has 5mg, the correct dose would be 2 treats per day, or every 8 hours if needed.
|Low Dose||Medium Dose||Strong Dose|
|For each 10lb of bodyweight||1mg||3mg||5m|
How long does it take for CBD dog treats to work?
It takes around 30 to 45 minutes for hemp treats to start working, which is slightly slower than hemp oil, as there are more ingredients for fluffy tummies to break down in treats.
This may vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- If your dog ate the treat on a full stomach or not
- How large your dog is
- How much hemp you gave them
- How often you give them hemp treats
- How severe their health issues are
How long do CBD treats for dogs last?
The effects of hemp treats typically last between 4-8 hours. We know that’s quite a window, but the length of effects tends to vary depending on your dog’s size, breed, activity level, and the severity of their symptoms.
Note that you shouldn’t just keep giving your dog hemp if you think the treats have worn out. Giving too high of a dose (and too regularly) can lead to adverse side effects.
Can dogs overdose on CBD treats?
As hemp does not react with brainstem receptors and doesn’t cause respiratory depression, dogs won’t overdose from hemp treats in the traditional way. However, if you give your dog too many hemp treats, they may experience adverse effects, such as an upset stomach or lethargy. The good news is, your dog is likely to sleep off these effects.
What other CBD pet treats are there?
Hemp dog treats and cat treats are the most common hemp pet treats you can find on the market today, although there are hemp oils that can be used on other pets too, such as rabbits, hamsters, and even snakes.
Additionally, if treats aren’t working out, there are other hemp pet products you can try, including hemp oils and creams. For dogs, soft chews are usually the most popular choice, although they won’t work for everyone.
It’s important to consult with your veterinarian if you’re giving your pet hemp products for the first time to ensure it’s safe for your pet.