Pup Parent Warns Others Of The Toxic Seeds That Nearly Killed Her Dog

This post was first shared April 2018.

Easter almost turned tragic for dog mom Sharon Newton when her Chihuahua started nibbling on a toxic seed.

During an Easter egg hunt, the pooch, named Max, ate a seed from a sago palm that was in the family’s yard. Three hours after ingesting it, the pup started throwing up and was rushed to the emergency vet.

Image Source: Screen Shot via KTRK

 

In a story by KTRK, Dr. Diane Wilkie explains that the walnut-sized seeds (or beans) are the most toxic part of the plant, and eating just one could cause death to a dog.

“I was very scared that he wasn’t going to make it. For two days, we really didn’t think he was going to make it. And they had been testing his blood every 24 hours,” Newton explained in the story.

Thankfully, what could’ve been a disaster became an Easter miracle, and little Max pulled through. Soon after, Newton removed the palms from her yard so an accident like this could never happen again.

“We got rid of them immediately, as soon as we found out what a danger they were,” the pup parent said of the plants.

Image Source: Screen Shot via KTRK

 

Newton said that she’d warn other pet parents of the plant’s toxicity, which can harm animals, and even humans if ingested. If you have sago palms in your yard and you frequently have pets or children outside playing, make sure to keep a close eye on them so that everyone stays safe!

For more information on toxic plants for dogs and cats, check out this list of common toxic plants.

(h/t: KTRK)

Vets Perform Life-Saving Surgery On Dog Who Ate Christmas Chocolate
9 Tips To Keep Your Dog Calm And Safe As You Ring In The New Year
Woman Devastated After Her Senior Dog Leaves Grooming Salon Paralyzed
Family Warns: ‘This Common Winter Product Nearly Cost Our Puppy His Life’
10 Thanksgiving Foods You Should Never Give Your Dog
FDA Issues Warning To Pet Food Company After 130 Dogs Die