You’re just two minutes away from a refreshing summer drink for both you and your pooch. Seriously, these watermelon mimosa cocktails and mocktails are simple to make and they’re perfect on a hot day!
When I walked into the supermarket earlier this week, I saw a big pile of watermelons just calling my name. Don’t you just love watermelon season?! Well, since a lot of dogs also love the popular summer fruit, I figured, why not make a drink and split it with the pups? Enter these adorable drinks.
I recommend filling your pups’ drink bowl with plain H20 most of the time, but a little diluted watermelon juice is a fun and healthy treat every now and then. While you don’t want to overdo it because watermelon does contain natural sugars, the sweet fruit offers up a nice dose of vitamins C and A.
Let’s Get Blending!
Start by blending cubed seedless watermelon, crushed ice, and a few mint leaves. Stop there for the mocktail. If you’re in the mood for a little bubbly (because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right?) then add a little dry champagne or sparkling wine to your serving! Here are some fun options for your glass:
- If you like it really sweet then add a little bit of honey.
- If you’re in the mood for a fun drink, but not the booze, you can always add a splash of seltzer water or ginger ale to your serving instead.
Warning: Never give your dog alcohol (even if they are over 21 in dog years)!
Let’s Talk Mint
According to the Continental Kennel Club, wild mint, spearmint, and peppermint are all non-toxic to dogs. The only species that you must watch out for is English pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium), warns The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- – 5 cups tightly-packed cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- – 1 cup crushed ice
- – 5 mint leaves
- – 1 bottle dry champagne or sparkling wine
- Blend all ingredients together (except the champagne).
- Pour blended mixture through a strainer to ensure there aren’t any chunks or seeds leftover.
- Pour watermelon mimosa mocktail into a bowl for your pooch and into a glass for you.
- Add desired amount of champagne or sparkling wine to your serving (Warning: absolutely no alcohol for your dog).
To make sure that your cocktail cups are safe despite exuberant tail-wagging, check out these shatterproof wine cups, available at the iHeartDogs store. The purchase of each set provides meals for 5 hungry shelter dogs who are waiting for their forever homes.
Cheers to that!
Get more recipes and furry fun by visiting Proud Dog Mom!
Do you want a healthier & happier dog? Join our email list & we'll donate 1 meal to a shelter dog in need!