What does one look for in a guard dog? Do they want a dog to attack on command? Or merely bark excessively to scare off would be robbers? There are certain breeds that would lick someone into submission. Of course enthusiastic tail wagging has been known to cause serious injury. It is possible to train almost any dog to be an effective protector, but certain breeds were genetically designed to be protective and downright scary.
Here is a list of dog breeds that would be the most and least likely to scare away an intruder.
The Best Guard Dogs:
1) Akita: The Akita has been described as powerful, dignified and alert. Bred in Japan for hunting and protection, this distinguished breed will not hesitate to take down anyone who poses a threat to his territory.
2) Chow Chow: An ancient breed originating in China, the Chow is lion like in appearance and in protecting its family. Inherently territorial, this lovable breed would defend its home by going after a gatecrasher without a second thought.
3) Rottweiler: With its strength and protective nature, the Rottweiler was originally bred to herd cows. Its intimidating stance is usually enough to ward off any trespasser, but if they feel their area or their family is in danger, the Rottie will take an offensive stance towards an invader.
4) Shar-pei: The dog with a thousand smiles might fool the average prowler. Another centuries old breed from China, the Shar-pei was originally bred for fighting but today, it is a loyal family dog that will protect its family at all costs.
5) German Shepherd: Described as approachable, direct and fearless, the German Shepherd has grown in popularity for its intelligence and family loyalty. Law enforcement officers prefer this breed for its easy trainability. Intruders don’t like them for their defensive tendencies.
Click page 2 to view the Worst Guard Dog Breeds
Do you want a healthier & happier dog? Join our email list & we'll donate 1 meal to a shelter dog in need!