Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

Vets Perform Life-Saving Surgery On Dog Who Ate Christmas Chocolate

Written by: Molly Weinfurter
Molly Weinfurter is a writer for iHeartDogs, and she’s passionate about helping animals in need. She volunteers for Bailing Out Benji and a local dog rescue.Read more
| Published on December 30, 2021

Certain human foods are always hazardous to our furry friends, and the holidays are an especially dangerous time for accidental ingestions. Family meals are often made with harmful ingredients, and there’s usually some Christmas candy lying around. So, it’s important to keep those treats out of reach to protect pets.

Unfortunately, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier named Hugo got a little too curious this Christmas. He found a way to access his family’s chocolate coins that they got for Christmas. He ate so much chocolate and foil that he was on the brink of death. Luckily, a veterinary charity saved his life!

Pit Bull Eats Chocolate Coins

Christmas Candy Nightmare

For humans, Christmas candy is exciting and tasty. But for dogs, it could be a death sentence. Amie, who owns 6-year-old Hugo, said she briefly left the house to go to the store. When she returned, torn-up foil from her chocolate coins was scattered throughout the house. All of the chocolate inside was gone.

“At first, Hugo seemed fine, but I felt sick with worry when he began vomiting blood. He then had a seizure, which was terrifying,” said Amie.

Amie contacted People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals, a veterinary charity known as PDSA, as soon as Hugo showed unusual symptoms. The vets did an x-ray on the pup, which showed that he had lots of foil trapped in his stomach.

Pile of chocolate coins

So, Hugo stayed at the hospital overnight for major procedures. Vets gave him an intravenous fluid drip, medications, and extensive care to ensure he recovered.

Vets Save Hugo’s Life

Thanks to the determined vets, Hugo’s life was saved. PDSA nurse Donna Southwould said the pup could’ve died if he hadn’t gotten to the vet in time. He has returned home since his procedures, but he needs to continue resting until his recovery is complete. Amie can’t thank the vets enough for saving her companion.

“There were a number of times I thought we were going to lose him, so to have him home for Christmas is a miracle,” Amie said.

Sad Pit Bull close up

Amie is forever grateful that Hugo is making a promising recovery. But sadly, not all pets in this situation have a happy ending. So, it’s best to be careful with what human foods your dog eats, especially around the holidays.

PDSA reminds dog parents to keep dangerous items out of reach from their furry friends. Foods like chocolate, grapes, raisins, and onions can all be toxic to canines. So, be extra careful where you keep your holiday leftovers.

Featured Image: Facebook

Recent Articles

Interested in learning even more about all things dogs? Get your paws on more great content from iHeartDogs!

Read the Blog