NEW: Shop the holiday gift guide here 🎄
close
15M Shelter Meals Donated 154K Toys Donated $315K Funded for Service Dogs 16K Blankets Donated 195K Rescue Miles Funded
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

10 Veggies & Fruits That Are Harmful to Dogs


We love to share food with our dogs, and since fruits and vegetables are healthy for us, we often assume that they’re healthy for our pets, too. This is often the case, but that certainly doesn’t mean it’s always the case. In fact, there are some fruits and vegetables that are toxic to our dogs. So if you plan on sharing some snacks with your pup, make sure you don’t feed him or her anything you find on this list!

#1 – Grapes & Raisins

shutterstock_161314076

The fact that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs is becoming common knowledge among pet owners, and for good reason! They are toxic. While some dogs can consume grapes and/or raisins with no symptoms, it’s simply just not worth the risk. This is because consuming grapes or raisins can actually lead to irreversible kidney damage. So it’s best to make sure these are far out of reach of your pup.

#2 – Onions

shutterstock_168179000

Symptoms of onion toxicity include lethargy, elevated heart and respiratory rates, pale gums, and even collapse. Garlic can also cause problems, but only in large amounts and a small amount of garlic is actually a great flea preventative.

#3 – Cherries

shutterstock_58861157

There are many types of cherries, all of which are pretty popular snack foods. It’s no wonder why – they’re delicious! While the pulp of the fruit is safe for dogs to eat, the plant and pit are moderately toxic to our dogs, and can result in respiratory failure and death. In fact, the plants and pits contain cyanide, so it’s no surprise that they are toxic. Be sure to keep your dog away from cherry plants, and feed only the pulp if you’re going to share with your pooch.

#4 – Mushrooms

shutterstock_155431814

While only a small amount of mushroom species are toxic to our dogs, it’s important to make sure you aren’t feeding the wrong ones if you ever share them with your dog. If you’re unable to identify a mushroom species quickly, it’s imperative that you take your dog to the veterinarian immediately after consumption. Mushroom toxicity is known to be fatal in dogs, resulting from seizures, tremors, and organ failure.

Do you want a healthier & happier dog? Join our email list & we'll donate 1 meal to a shelter dog in need!

Story Page