Holiday Gift Guide - Shop Here
close
12M Shelter Meals Donated 131K Toys Donated $257K Funded for Service Dogs $30K Disaster Relief Funds Raised 128K Rescue Miles Funded

10 Veggies & Fruits That Are Harmful to Dogs

Advertisement

We love to share food with our dogs, and since fruits and vegetables are healthy for us, we often assume that they’re healthy for our pets, too. This is often the case, but that certainly doesn’t mean it’s always the case. In fact, there are some fruits and vegetables that are toxic to our dogs. So if you plan on sharing some snacks with your pup, make sure you don’t feed him or her anything you find on this list!

#1 – Grapes & Raisins

shutterstock_161314076

The fact that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs is becoming common knowledge among pet owners, and for good reason! They are toxic. While some dogs can consume grapes and/or raisins with no symptoms, it’s simply just not worth the risk. This is because consuming grapes or raisins can actually lead to irreversible kidney damage. So it’s best to make sure these are far out of reach of your pup.

#2 – Onions & Garlic

shutterstock_168179000

While some argue there are benefits to feeding our dogs garlic, the Pet Poison Helpline warns that garlic is actually considered to be even more toxic than onions. Either way, both vegetables can cause serious problems in our dogs. Symptoms of onion or garlic toxicity include lethargy, elevated heart and respiratory rates, pale gums, and even collapse.

#3 – Cherries

shutterstock_58861157

There are many types of cherries, all of which are pretty popular snack foods. It’s no wonder why – they’re delicious! While the pulp of the fruit is safe for dogs to eat, the plant and pit are moderately toxic to our dogs, and can result in respiratory failure and death. In fact, the plants and pits contain cyanide, so it’s no surprise that they are toxic. Be sure to keep your dog away from cherry plants, and feed only the pulp if you’re going to share with your pooch.

#4 – Mushrooms

shutterstock_155431814

While only a small amount of mushroom species are toxic to our dogs, it’s important to make sure you aren’t feeding the wrong ones if you ever share them with your dog. If you’re unable to identify a mushroom species quickly, it’s imperative that you take your dog to the veterinarian immediately after consumption. Mushroom toxicity is known to be fatal in dogs, resulting from seizures, tremors, and organ failure.

Story Page
×

Would you do anything to ensure your dog was happier and healthier?



[X] CLOSE

Then We Created Something You'll LOVE...

Our FREE email newsletter is packed with tips for keeping your dog happier and healthier.

Just One More Step!

What breed is your dog?
[X] CLOSE