Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

10 Thanksgiving Foods You Should Never Give Your Dog

Written by: Scott H
Scott Haiduc is the Director of Publishing for iHeartDogs, iHeartCats and The Hero Company. When not working, Scott spends his time on the farm, taking care of his animals and crops.Read more
| Published on November 1, 2021

Thanksgiving in the United States is just around the corner, and with the delicious food ahead, many dog owners will want to share the feast with their pups.

But there are a number of foods traditionally eaten during the Thanksgiving holiday that can be very dangerous for our pets. If you’re not sure, check out this list below!

#1 – Cooked Bones

Never, ever give your dog cooked bones. While all cooked bones are dangerous, cooked poultry bones are especially concerning as they will crack and splinter. Not only do they pose a choking hazard, but they can also puncture your dog’s digestive tract and have you running straight to the veterinary emergency hospital.

#2 – Onions

These vegetables can cause serious problems in our dogs. Symptoms of onion toxicity include lethargy, elevated heart and respiratory rates, pale gums, and even collapse.

#3 – Grapes & Raisins

The fact that grapes and raisins are bad for dogs is becoming common knowledge among pet owners, and for good reason! They are toxic. While some dogs can consume grapes and/or raisins with no symptoms, it’s simply just not worth the risk. This is because consuming grapes or raisins can actually lead to irreversible kidney damage. So it’s best to make sure these are far out of reach of your pup.

#4 – Milk & Dairy Products

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, and consuming large amounts of dairy products can make them very gassy and cause diarrhea. While you may not be thinking about giving your pooch a glass of milk, remember that butter-filled mashed potatoes or a yummy baked mac and cheese are full of dairy. For dogs who can handle it, plain yogurt or cheese can be given sparingly.

#5 – Sugar

While sweet potatoes, yams, and pumpkin can benefit our dogs, it’s important to remember that sugar is most definitely harmful. Candied yams and pumpkin pie should never be shared with your pup, as sugar will likely cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Long-term sugar consumption brings the same results like that in humans – tooth decay, obesity, and diabetes.

#6 – Caffeine

Often while socializing, we’d like a nice warm cup of coffee or hot tea. Although dogs don’t typically want to enjoy these beverages, it’s important to you ensure they don’t get into them. Caffeine can be fatal if consumed in excess amounts, and once the poisoning has happened, there’s no way to recover your pup. So it’s better to be safe than sorry and keep these things out of reach!

#7 – Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are very toxic to our canine companions. Even five or six of these little guys can cause seizures, tremors, and death. It’s imperative to make sure that all macadamia nuts and any food containing macadamia nuts are kept away from your pup at all times.

#8 – Fat Trimmings

Although many people consider the fat the most flavorful part of the meat, it’s not a good idea to share it with your dog. Even though it’s probably one of the most common table scraps, excess cooked fat can lead to health problems such as pancreatitis and obesity.

#9 – Chocolate

This seems like the most obvious of all the foods on this list, but it’s still worth listing. During the holidays, many people spend a lot of time baking delicious desserts that contain chocolate, and baking chocolate is the most dangerous for our dogs. Remember, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. While consumption of milk chocolate or white chocolate will likely lead to excessive vomiting and diarrhea, consuming even small amounts of dark baking chocolate can be fatal.

#10 – Alcohol

Since wine is a popular treat for most occasions, it’s essential to ensure that it and all other alcoholic beverages are kept away from our dogs. Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s brain and liver as it does a human’s; they just need to consume less than we do. The more a dog consumes, the greater the effects, and the more likely they are to have permanent damage. So if you place your spiked beverage on the coffee table, make sure it stays out of Fido’s reach!

Featured Image: @wesleybanksauthor via Instagram

Recent Articles

Interested in learning even more about all things dogs? Get your paws on more great content from iHeartDogs!

Read the Blog