More and more australian shepherd owners are watching their pups suffer from itchiness caused by allergies. If your australian shepherd is constantly scratching, adding these natural ingredients to their diet may help. Always check first with your vet to rule out other skin or flea and tick issues.
1. Give Your Australian Shepherd a High Quality Fish Oil Daily
First and foremost, make sure you’re giving your australian shepherd a high quality fish oil. Fish oil contains omega-3, which is lacking in most commercial pet foods since it cannot survive the manufacturing process. Omega-3 helps soothe inflammation, and in some studies it significantly reduced itchiness in dogs with moderate to mild atopic dermatitis. We like Norwegian Salmon oil (also some great options on Amazon) for it’s ultra-high purity.
2. Try Adding Quercetin To Your Australian Shepherd’s Diet
Quercetin is also known as “Nature’s Benadryl.” This ingredient has become very popular in recent years for dogs as it helps suppress inflammation in the body. It’s a bit hard to find in supplement form, but is included in some soft chew formulas. (here’s one on Amazon as well)
3. Try a Colostrum Supplement for Your Australian Shepherd
Found in mother’s milk, bovine colostrum helps support a normal histamine response to help improve allergies. Colostrum contains immunoglobulins (often referred to as antibodies) which help boost the performance of your australian shepherd’s immune system. Canine colostrum supplements are a bit hard to find, but are included in some soft chew formulas. (here’s our favorite on Amazon Prime)
4. Add Reishi Mushrooms To Your Australian Shepherd’s Diet
Reishi mushroom contain ganoderic acid, which is a compound that inhibits the release of histamines. Histamines cause allergic reactions in your australian shepherd’s body. In addition, this powerhouse ingredient has anti-inflammatory properties which can help relieve itchiness. Reishi supplements for dogs are available on Amazon as well.
5. Try Giving Apple Cider Vinegar to Your Australian Shepherd Topically or As a Dietary Supplement
ACV provides digestive support and relief for allergic reactions. A small amount can be put into your dog’s water bowl, or you can apply it topically. You can also apply a 50% mixture of ACV, and 50% water directly to your dog’s skin in areas that are experience rash or itchiness. If given orally, you can also find apple cider vinegar soft chew supplements for dogs.
6. Try Giving Your Australian Shepherd a Colloidal Oatmeal Bath
A popular remedy for people too, this age-old source of relief can also work for your australian shepherd. See our review of our favorite oatmeal shampoos for dogs here.
7. Try Massaging Coconut Oil on Your Australian Shepherd’s Skin (or adding to their diet)
Coconut oil can be applied directly to your dog’s skin. It helps relieve itchiness and also can improve your dog’s skin and coat in general. Many dogs love the taste, which can actually become a bit of a problem if your pup licks it off their skin too quickly! We like the CocoTherapy brand of coconut oil made specifically for dogs.
8. Test if a Probiotic Makes a Difference for Your Australian Shepherd
Scientists are finding many links between our digestive system and many forms of disease. Many pet owners notice a difference in their dog’s allergy symptoms after giving a canine probiotic supplement (make sure to use one made for dogs). Your results may vary, but it’s worth a try.
Many of the above ingredients can be found in this 6-in-1 allergy and itch supplement for dogs, including salmon oil, reishi mushrooms, colostrum, apple cider vinegar, quercetin, and probiotics.
- CBD for Australian Shepherds: What You Need to Know
- Best Supplements for a Senior Australian Shepherd
- Best Flea & Tick Products for Australian Shepherds
- Best Dog Foods for Australian Shepherds
- Best Online Dog Training Courses for Australian Shepherd
- Best Hip & Joint Supplement for a Australian Shepherd
- What Supplements Should I Give a Australian Shepherd Puppy?
- The 9 Best Australian Shepherd Puppy Foods
- Best Dog Beds for Australian Shepherds
- Improve Your Australian Shepherd's Skin & Coat with This One Hack
- Giving This to Your Australian Shepherd Daily Can Alleviate Itchy Allergies
- 6 Natural Ingredients to Fight Your Australian Shepherd's Allergies
- 8 Ways to Stop Your Australian Shepherd's Scratching
- 7 Ways to Calm Your Australian Shepherd's Anxiety
- 6 Remedies for Your Australian Shepherd's Diarrhea, Gas, or Vomiting
- 7 Best Dental Chews for a Australian Shepherd