The plants are blooming and that means the bees are out again. While we are often careful about our children and ourselves getting stung, we do not always think about our dogs. However, dogs can be stung by bees just as easily as us, if not easier, with the same results. Do you know what to do if your dog gets stung?
What to do
Immediately try to remove the stinger with a pair of tweezers. Look for an area with swelling.
Give the dog an diphenhydramine (Benadryl) appropriate for his size (call your vet if you are unsure) to reduce inflammation. An anti-inflammatory can also be given.
Put ice on the area to reduce swelling
When to Go To the Vet
Go to the vet if:
You are not sure if your dog is allergic
If the swelling does not go down within a couple hours or increases
If you notice any signs of distress: increased panting, rapid heartbeat, lethargy, extreme irritation at sting site
If your dog is having trouble breathing due to swelling that is restricting the air passage
If you suspect your dog may have swallowed a bee. You may have seen your dog swallow it, or if your dog is exhibiting signs that his throat is obstructed due to swelling: same as #3 as well as trouble swallowing.
About the Author
Based in Tustin, Calif., animal lover Kristina N. Lotz is a Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) and works as a full time trainer. She also owns her own custom pet products company, A Fairytail House, where she makes personalized collars, leashes, beds, keepsake pillows and blankets, and anything else your imagine can think up. In her spare time, she trains and competes in herding, agility, obedience, rally, and conformation with her Shetland Sheepdogs.