iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
If your dog doesn’t take their pills without a fuss, our list of the best pill pockets for dogs will save you and your pup a heap of trouble. After all, dogs are far more apt to eat a yummy snack than a pill, so a tasty pill pocket or paste can be the tricky trick you need to get your dog dosed!
Pill pockets are soft and flexible with a hollow center, so you won’t have to get crafty with smeary peanut butter, crumbly cheese, or even mushy bread. Just stick it in the pocket, pinch, and feed it to your dog. And if you opt for pill paste, simply wad some around the pill and toss it to your waiting pup.
Whether your pet has a taste for peanut butter, prefers crunchy treats, or has a top-notch nose that picks up even the slightest pill smell, we’ve found a pill pouch to suit your needs. But before we get into reviews of the best pill pockets, let’s answer your pill pocket questions and talk about what factors should be considered before you choose an option.
Frequently Asked Questions about Best Pill Pockets for Dogs
Do Pill Pockets Have Nutritional Value?
Yes, some pill pockets and pastes have nutritional value, depending on the brand. Some may contain added minerals and nutrients, making them rich in beneficial nutrients and low in calories and fat. If your dog is on a restrictive diet, study the label of your pill pockets and check that their nutritional content aligns with your pup’s needs.
Do Pill Pockets Work for Dogs?
The short answer is yes. Dogs are smart and know when you’re trying to give them medicine. Pill pockets make the dosing much easier by enticing your pup with tasty flavors and smells they recognize as food.
Which Pill Pocket Flavor is Best?
Pill pockets are designed with unique flavors, so dogs are willing to chomp them down. Bacon, chicken, and peanut butter are among the more popular choices, as these aromatic flavors are big hits with most dogs.
How Long Does It Take for a Dog to Digest Pill Pockets?
Typically, most pill pockets are digested within 20-30 minutes of oral administration, meaning the medicine inside the pocket is being absorbed too.
Related: OTC Human Medications For Your Dog – Here’s What You Need To Know
Buying Guides: What To Look For In The Best Pill Pockets for Dogs
Most dogs hate taking pills, even those that aren’t usually fussy. That’s why pill pockets for dogs are a lifesaver when administering your pooch’s medication at home. However, while most tend to do the job well, there are a few factors to consider before randomly purchasing a bag.
Pill Pocket or Pill Paste
First, you’ll need to decide whether you’d like to use a pocket or paste for disguising medicines. With either option being a winner for masking medicines, if your dog uses powdered or liquid medicine, you may want to consider pastes for easier hiding. But pockets mean less handling for you. So if you’re looking for less of a mess, maybe go with a pocket.
Pill Pocket Size
Consider the size of your dog and the size of the pill you are trying to hide—a small pill pocket will not completely hide a large pill, and if you have a picky dog, he’ll notice the meds. If you have a large dog or are hiding a bigger pill, consider using two pill pockets pressed together or opt for a paste.
Pill Pocket Flavor
Want to make sure your pet swallows the pill? Choose a flavor they will like to increase your chances of success. Whether it’s cheese, smoky bacon, classic chicken, or creamy peanut butter, you’ll have no trouble finding something to suit your pup’s palate.
Pill Pocket Calorie Content
Pill pockets should be relatively low in calories. This is important for dogs who take pills daily, especially older dogs who may need to watch their weight and calorie intake. And you’ll notice we’ve included calorie content in our reviews of the best pill pockets for dogs. You’ll see pockets listed with kcal or calories per pocket, but the terms are interchangeable, and both mean the same thing. Kcals are just another way makers list calorie content.
Trusted Pill Pocket Brands
Only buy pill pockets and treats from trusted brands and companies. This guarantees quality materials and safe production. Many leading dog food makers also sell pill pockets for dogs, allowing you to stay brand consistent.
Now, let’s review the best pill pockets for dogs!
The 10 Best Pill Pockets for Dogs
#1 Best Tasting Pill Pockets – iHeartDogs Probiotic Pill Paste Wrap for Dogs
These best pill pouches contain probiotics! Probiotics are especially beneficial for your dog’s digestive system when they’re on medication. With iHeartDogs Happy, Hide-A-Pill with Healthy™ Probiotic, you can easily dose your dog and help their gut. And because it’s a paste, not a preformed pocket, you can easily shape it around medication, vitamins, or supplements.
It works with any medicine form, whether pill, tablet, powder, or liquid. The delicious bacon and chicken flavor leads your dog to believe it’s a tasty treat, which means you won’t have to fight when it comes to meds.
- Helps promote healthy bacteria, improving digestion, intestinal balance, and a strong immune defense
- Coconut oil and sunflower oil promote healthy energy levels and overall physical health
- Also includes natural rosemary extract, oat flour, and probiotics
- Made in the USA
- Money back guarantee
- Save 5% on autoship
- Every jar of pill paste sold feeds 12 shelter dogs
- Calorie content: 10.743 kcal per serving size
- Easy to use
- Rich chicken and bacon flavor
- Low calorie
- Probiotics to support your dog’s digestive system
- Crumbles easily when allowed to dry out, but still gets the job done
Related: 13 Best Skin & Coat Supplements For Dogs
#2 Best Low-Calorie Pill Pockets – VETRISCIENCE Laboratories Pinchers Pill Hiding Pocket Treats
Medication can be hard on tummies, so like our previous listing, VETRISCIENCE Pinchers Pill Hiding Pocket Treats also include probiotics to counter sensitive stomach issues. Hollow in the middle, these dog pill pockets can hold tablets, pills, or capsules of almost any size. And the choice of flavors, Chicken Liver or Organic Peanut Butter, will appeal to the most discerning dogs. Plus, the chicken liver flavor’s strong aroma and taste work well to hide the smell and taste of the medicine inside.
- Made with probiotics to support your dog’s digestive and immune health
- Fit most pills, tablets, and capsules
- Two flavors: Organic Peanut Butter and Chicken Liver
- Won’t leave your fingers greasy and sticky
- Calorie content: 10 calories per pocket
- Immune and digestive health
- Just ten calories per treat
- Chicken liver flavor disguises meds well
- Less greasy than most
- Might need to use two for bigger pills
#3 Best-Known Brand Pill Pockets – GREENIES Pill Pockets Natural Dog Treats
This choice of best pill pockets for dogs is perfect for dogs who need to take the medication in a larger pocket as they’re slightly larger than other pill hiders. Greenies Pill Pockets are also great because they mask the smell of medication, so even the most observant pup won’t know there’s a pill in their yummy treat! And available in four flavors, you’ll find an option that appeases even the pickiest pups.
- #1 ingredient is real chicken
- Pill pockets that turn pill time into treat time
- Just fill, pinch, and give
- Four flavors: Chicken, Hickory Smoke, Peanut Butter, Cheese
- Made with natural ingredients plus trace nutrients
- Proudly crafted in US facilities with quality ingredients from around the world
- Calorie content: 10 kcals per treat
- Popular and trusted brand
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Available in 4 flavors for all tastes
- Made in the USA
- Veterinarian recommended
- Easy to use
- Slightly more expensive than other brands
Related: 7 Best Muscle Building Supplements for Dogs
#4 Best Easy-to-Disguise Pill Pocket – Milk-Bone Pill Dog Treats
A name you know that’s been crafting dog treats for decades, Milkbone brings you an easy solution to medicine administration with their Pill Pouches. They’re soft, delicious, and taste like a regular treat. And you’ll find chicken is always the first ingredient, while recipes never contain by-products, meals, or artificial flavors. Choose from Chicken or Hickory Smoked Bacon flavors. Shaped like a cube, just stuff the pill in the hole in the center and give it a squish! That easily, your dog will wolf down their medicine inside one of these best pill pockets for dogs.
- Milkbone is a brand you know and trust
- Helps conceal the taste and smell of medication inside
- Fits most capsules and tablets
- Great-tasting and mess-free
- No by-products, meals, or artificial flavors
- Lower calorie alternative to cheese and peanut butter
- Calorie content: 19 calories per pocket
- Savory, rich flavor most dogs enjoy
- Easy to disguise thanks to larger size
- Real meat is the first ingredient
- 125 treats included per bag; perfect for multi-pet households
- Some reviewers complain of dryness that causes the cube to lose shape
- Not the lowest calorie content
#5 Best All-Natural Pill Pocket – Zoë Pill Pops for Dog Treats
Can your dog sniff out a pill no matter how hard you try to hide it? Try these fragrant and flavorful pill pockets for dogs with unique recipes designed to mask the smell and taste of medicine. Choose from Roasted Chicken with Rosemary, Grilled Beef with Ginger, or Peanut Butter with Honey, and any of these choices will make your dog’s mouth water. Zoë Pill Pops are individually wrapped to preserve freshness.
- Individually wrapped in double packaging to maintain their moist, soft texture
- Savory fragrances & flavors hide the smell of meds brilliantly
- No corn, no wheat, no soy, no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Made in Canada using ingredients sourced from North America
- Ideal for all life stages, from puppy to senior
- Calorie content: 14 calories per pill pouch
- Individually wrapped to preserve freshness
- Rich, unique flavors disguise the smell of meds
- All natural ingredients
- No corn, wheat, soy, no artificial flavors, or preservatives
- Can be a little dry
Related: L-Theanine for Dogs: A Safe, Effective Way To Treat Your Dog’s Anxiety
#6 Best Value Pill Pockets – Wag Pill Pouches Dog Treats
Amazon brand Wag Pill Pouches make it easy to give your dog their medicines for an affordable price. Made with a tube-shaped center, these best pill pockets for dogs are great for tablets or capsules. The delicious chicken flavor will have your pup chomping down their meds before they realize it’s in their mouth! And a new and improved formula keeps pill pouches soft without clumping. Because dogs mistake them for regular treats, they also double as a reward for good behavior, an incentive during training, or a snack between meals.
- Includes one resealable bag of 30 pill pouch dog treats, chicken flavor
- For use with tablets or capsules
- No added wheat or artificial flavors
- Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world
- Vet recommended formula
- Calorie content: 15.7 kcal per pill pouch
- Easy to digest
- Rich chicken liver flavor
- Soft and malleable – texture similar to cookie dough
- Perfect for elderly dogs or dogs with dental issues
- Money back guarantee good up to a year from purchase date
- Tend to dry out quickly
#7 Best Pill Pockets for Picky Eaters – Pill Buddy Naturals Dog Treats
Who doesn’t love a sweet treat now and again? Your pup sure does, and that you can slip them their pills while giving the taste of something good makes Pill Buddy Naturals an easy choice as one of the best pill pockets for dogs. Although available in various flavors, there are two choices for PB fanatics: the Peanut Butter and Honey Recipe or the Peanut Butter and Apple Recipe. Whichever you choose, you can rest assured these dog pill pockets are delicious, soft, and made with all-natural ingredients, but no corn, wheat, soy, or anything artificial.
- Wrapped in pairs to preserve freshness
- Great for dogs who dig peanut butter
- Six flavor choices
- Accommodates almost any size pill or capsule intended for dogs
- Makes your dog’s medicine irresistible
- Veterinarian formulated recipes
- Calorie Content: 14kcal per pocket
- Fits virtually any tablet, capsule, or pill
- Six flavors to entice even the fussiest pups
- Wrapped in sealed pouches for freshness
- Sweet flavor may not be a hit for all dogs
Related: Devil’s Claw For Dogs: A Unique Remedy For Joint Pain
#8 Pill Pocket with the Best Customer Reviews – Pet MD Wrap A Pill Paste for Dogs
Pet MD Wrap-A-Pill takes the stress out of pill time because dogs think this tasty paste eats like a treat! This yummy flavored pill paste is ideal when you have extra-large pills or capsules to hide because you can easily mold it around whatever you’re working with. Pinch off as much or as little as you need! It also makes a great way to serve liquid or powder meds too. Pill pastes can be an excellent option for dogs without teeth or dental problems as it’s soft and not sticky. In other words, perfect for older dogs!
- Adapts to any size pill, tablet, or capsule
- Soft and malleable – texture similar to cookie dough
- Perfect for elderly dogs or dogs with teeth issues
- Three flavor choices: Bacon, Peanut Butter, and Cheese & Bacon
- One container contains 59 servings
- Calorie content: 9kcalories per serving amount
- Easy to use
- Great taste in either bacon or peanut butter
- A small amount goes a long way
- Covers meds of any make and size
- Can be sticky
#9 Best Pill Pockets for Dogs of All Sizes – TOMLYN Pill-Masker
As a brand and product recommended by Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy, you can trust Tomlyn Pill-Masker to get the job done! This putty pill paste is moist, flavorful, and easily malleable to cover any pill shape or size. Plus, the delicious bacon flavor will draw in your dog for dosing. For pups that aren’t too picky, a thin layer is usually enough for masking. More finicky dogs may need a thicker layer to mask the taste and smell of medication. It can also be used as a reward when training dogs.
- Fits all pill shapes and sizes, powders, and liquids
- Highly-palatable bacon flavor
- Easy to administer
- Contains 50 servings in one container
- Can be used with dogs and cats
- Backed by Jackson Galaxy, a trusted animal-behavior expert
- Calorie content: 6.2 kcal per pinch
- Enticing bacon flavor
- Made with natural ingredients
- Low price for high quantity
- Suitable for small dogs
- Works for any size pill or other medicine forms
- Can be used as treats
- Only comes in one flavor
- High in fat
Related: Melatonin For Dogs: Discover The Potentially Life-Changing Benefits
#10 Easiest to Shape Pill Pockets –Vetoquinol Pill Wrap
Vetoquinol Pill Wrap is a moist, juicy, delicious, and malleable paste that makes giving your furry friend medicine a breeze. They’re full of flavor and can be molded to fit any medication, whether tablet, capsule, powder, or liquid. And Vetoquinol USA is a proud member of the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC), so you can trust they formulate their pastes with only food-grade ingredients. Available in a 4-ounce container that provides about fifty-six servings.
- A versatile wrap that fits over any shape, type, and size of medicine
- Made of food-grade ingredients
- One four oz. container can cover approximately 56 pills
- Used by veterinarians and behaviorists
- A great option that works for both dogs and cats
- Even picky eaters love the highly palatable taste
- Calorie content: unlisted
- Can fit pills of any size
- Natural and healthy ingredients
- Mess-free and tasty wraps
- Around 56 pockets per container
- High price tag
- Unspecified flavor
Not all pill pockets for dogs are created equal, so be sure to choose options that are low-calorie, low-fat, and offer other nutritional values, like probiotics or vitamins. And any of the options on our list of the best pill pockets for dogs provide an excellent choice to help you give your pup their important medicines.
Dog Product Reviews