A giant social space where dogs are required to be off leash and adult drinks and small bites are on the menu? Yes, please! Residents in North Bethesda, Maryland are about to get a boost to their dog-friendly restaurant and bar scene with the opening of Bark Social in September.
Not Your Typical Dog Park
Dog parks are great fun! They offer humans and their furry companions a space to get together and romp around without the drag of a leash law. Some savvy entrepreneurs saw an opportunity to take dog-and-human socializing to the next level with Bark Social.
The space will provide indoor and outdoor areas that total more than 25,000 square feet. Canine guests are required to be off-leash to reduce leash-aggression-related tussles. A staff of Bark Rangers will patrol the area to maintain safety and keep it clean. Human guests will be able to order small bites, craft beers, coffee, and more. If pups get hungry, there will be locally-made sweets and treats available for them as well. There will also be a shopping area for dog products like toys and attire.
Membership Options for Dogs
Bark Social will offer memberships to dogs but humans can come in for free. An annual membership to Bark Social will run $265, which works out to $39 a month. The Bark Social website also reports that single-day passes will be on offer.
Rules to Keep Dogs and Humans Safe
Bark Social has laid out a set of rules that must be adhered to at all times in the park. Those rules are reported in full on their website, including information about breaking up fights and what kind of play is tolerable or not. Some of the basic rules include:
- Dogs must be current on Rabies, Bordetella and Distemper vaccinations; records may be uploaded to the Membership Portal on the Bark Social website
- Dogs with contagious health conditions will not be allowed.
- Dogs must be flea and tick free.
- Dogs must be at least 4 months of age to enter.
- Dogs over 8 months of age must be spayed or neutered and no dogs in heat are allowed.
- Dogs must be off-leash at all times in the park.
- Only two dogs per person.
- Only flat-buckle collars or harnesses are to be worn
- Humans consent to allow Bark Rangers to handle dogs including breaking up fights.
On-Site Bathing Stalls
No need to worry if your fur baby gets covered in slobber head-to-toe while playing with friends! Bark Social plans to offer on-site bathing stalls so that humans can clean up their dogs before heading home. Bathing stalls can be used for $15 or at a reduced rate of $10 for members.
Bark Social plans to open in September of this year and expand quickly into Baltimore. What do you think of this business idea? If you live nearby, will you join Bark Social?