Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

Home Forums Behavior & Training Questions

2 Year Old Shiba Inu, Aggressive Towards Other Dogs, Need Advice/Help

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello there,
      My fiance and I currently own a Shiba Inu named Cloud, he’s a two year old male, and he’s still intact. My fiance has had him since he was 8 weeks old, but I haven’t been apart of his everyday life until about 8 months ago. My fiance has explained to me that he did not get him from a reputable breeder and he also put Cloud through Obedience Training, before he was a year old, and he did graduate. From my understanding they trained him with hand-feeding techniques and I know my Fiance has tried to show himself as Alpha, as suggested by the trainer. Cloud has always had a “stand-offish” attitude towards everyone, if you lean in to pet him he will almost always jolt back and run away. When I first moved into the apartment, Cloud showed heavy signs of discomfort; he was chewing wires, destroying shoes, and wanted nothing to do with me. I understood I had made an imbalance to his daily life, so I never took that personally or was angry with him. Eventually he stopped chewing altogether, but then he began not only disobeying and ignoring me, but also my fiance. He gets very hyper-active when you play with him and he likes to run across the couch, but it’s almost as if he has no care about anything around him, because when I lay on the couch, he actively runs over my face, yes my face (claws and all). If we are laying in bed, he also just stands on-top of us and refuses to move after commanding him to do so, or even physically trying to move him. A couple months ago, I finally expressed my concern with his behavior, but my fiance insisted it was puppy-like mentality. Quickly my fiance realized I was making valid points, after we went on a beach vacation last summer and Cloud had bit another dog (English Mastiff very docile and submissive female) to the point there was blood. Luckily we knew the owner of the other dog, so they were kind to let bygones be bygones. Unfortunately, over-time, nothing has improved when we go on walks he growls at some of the other dogs that get close, and sometimes even snaps at them. Not only has he shown aggressive behavior towards other dogs, but when I try to discipline him he’s snaps at me as well (he’s never drawn blood though). If aggression wasn’t enough of an issue already, he also has a love for being an escape artist. He’s bolted out the front door of our apartment at-least, 15 times, and of course since he’s a Shiba he’s incredibly fast and difficult to catch. He also escaped from a family member’s house during a Christmas celebration, and we were incredibly concerned something could have happened to him. For awhile he had stopped this behavior and we also put up a gate in-front of our door, but a couple days ago he ran away again and this time came into contact with another dog that he was beginning to be aggressive with. Aside from the negatives, I can say he’s never expressed any aggression towards children or humans that don’t discipline him. I want to be clear that we truly aren’t careless either, we take a lot of precautions and think ahead with him; but he is incredibly fast and clever and it’s starting to concern us that he will never fully listen. Not just because we want to be in control, but it could really end up hurting him in the long-run if he bites the wrong dog, or gets hit by a car. I really want to find something that will work for Cloud and make all of this bad behavior stop, so I’ve scheduled appointments for a dis-temperament shot, and for him to get neutered; but I imagine it will take a lot more training and attention. If you have any advice or suggestions please feel free to comment below.
      Thank you,
      Concerned Pet-Parent

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.