Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

Home Forums Breeds Boxers Behavior & Training Questions

6 year old boxer constantly grinding his teeth

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I wanted to try and reach out to see if any other boxer owners had this issue. My 6 year old boxer started grinding his teeth about 6 months ago. At first it was only at night as he was settling down but now he seems to be doing it all the time! I’ve had him at two different vets and even had an oral surgeon consult with X-rays. No one has really been able to give me any reason or treatment for this issue. All I do know is he is not in any pain, his blood tests are normal and no growths within his TMJ. I did have his teeth professionally cleaned even though his teeth weren’t bad at all. We tried a pain reliever/anti inflammatory medication for 15 days and still no luck! Any information would be very appreciated and helpful! Thank you!

Anonymous
      Inactive

if your Vet has cleared him and he has no health issues, could he just be bored. Has something changed in the family, someone gone off to school, left the home and he no longer has their interaction? Boxers are aggressive chewers when bored and need things like natural bones, gorilla toys, kongs, etc to play with. Mine like the large black kongs that you can put treats inside. I put them in a baggie and freeze them and then give them to them to soothe their gums. The baggie is just because I wash them, freeze them in the bag and take it out and give it to them. The next favorite toy is the kong jumbler ball. It is a ball with a handle on both sides. Its orange and it looks like they are carrying their pumpkin around. Both are indestructible. We buy them the huge rope toys that have the big knots in them. The natural bones from the WhiteBoneCo. can be stuffed with peanutbutter or just given to them and last a long time. The like the big tires too. They need something to play with you you don’t have the time to play. You might want to consider a buddy too, if you have the time to deal with a puppy or you could adopt an older pup, if boredom is the problem.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Funny, I just googled this same thing, as my boxer, Bella, turns 6 in a few days has just started doing this! It’s so frustrating but I just want to make sure she is ok!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oddly enough my 6 year old female recently started doing this too. Mostly at night or overnight and I asked the vet and she said sometimes its normal and didn’t seem to concerned with it. But I will try to give her some more toys to play with and see if that helps.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 5 year old boxer that just started doing this. Initially is was just when she was settling down into her dog bed but it has increased and she is grinding her teeth all of the time. I took her to the vet and they didn’t see anything wrong and didn’t think we needed xrays. Everything I read indicates it could be related to pain. She has had two TPLO surgeries and has had surgery to remove one of the implants due to an infection. All of her blood work comes back normal and we have no idea why this started. I am looking for recommendations on where to go from here.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The 7 Most Unusual Habits of Boxers
How Much Do You Feed a Boxer
The 6 Most Unique Qualities of Boxers
The 5 Love Languages of Boxers
The History and Origin of the Boxer: A Comprehensive Look
Two Shelter Dogs Clung To One Another As Their Names Moved Up ‘The List’