Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

7 Foods You Should Never Feed To Your Dog

Written by: Dee Michaels
Dee Michaels is a passionate and accomplished writer, renowned for his heartwarming and engaging stories on more
| Published on October 1, 2023

Though most dog owners are aware that chocolate is bad for their pets, there are other common foods that can lead to devastating consequences.

The canine digestive system is entirely different than ours. It’s less developed and cannot process certain foods humans can. Many dog owners offer table scraps. But those scraps can actually be harmful! Also, certain foods we eat need to be put (WAY) out of reach because they can even act like poison to your pet.

Here’s a list of foods you should NEVER give to your dog:

#1 Alliums:

According to Wikipedia, “Allium is a genus of monocotyledonous flowering plants that includes hundreds of species, including the cultivated onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, leek, and chives.”

This means that onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, and chives (and any food seasoned with them) are potentially TOXIC! Alliums can cause hemolytic anemia, which can damage a dog’s red blood cells.


Image Source: Public Domain Pic

According to the Pet Poison Helpline:

“Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks are of the Allium family and are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about 5X as potent as onions. Onion and garlic poisoning results in oxidative damage to the red blood cells (making the red blood cells more likely to rupture) and gastroenteritis (e.g., nausea, oral irritation, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea). Other clinical signs of anemia may be seen, and include lethargy, pale gums, an elevated heart rate, an increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse. Onion and garlic poisoning may have a delayed onset, and clinical signs may not be apparent for several days.”

Signs of Allium Toxicity:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea
  • Oral irritation
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Elevated heart rate and respiratory rate
  • Weakness
  • Exercise intolerance
  • Collapse
  • Pale gums


#2 Rotten Or Spoiled Food:

If you are too grossed out to eat it or you know it’s spoiled, DO NOT FEED IT TO YOUR DOG! Foods with mold, expired foods, or food that hasn’t been properly refrigerated is no good for you, therefore it’s NO GOOD for Fido!

Throw it out and forget about it!


Image Source: Wikimedia Commons


#3 Fried, Fatty Foods:

Foods like fried chicken and french fries can be toxic to dogs. Eating fried foods can cause pancreatic inflammation leading to pancreatitis, which can turn into a life-threatening event.


Image Source: Wikimedia Commons


If you’re worried that your dog consumed fried foods take her to the vet immediately— pancreatitis can cause extreme vomiting and requires immediate emergency care.


#4 Grapes:

Vets have no idea why grapes make dogs so sick but there is a direct correlation between dogs eating grapes and kidney failure.

Image Source: Max Pixel


This includes raisins, dried currants, and fresh grapes! Dried currants and raisins can be even more lethal because they are more concentrated. This, of course, includes foods that contain raisins, dried currants, and grapes as well.

If you think your dog ingested these foods, watch for these signs of kidney failure: diarrhea and vomiting, dehydration, lethargy, low urine output, and weakness. If your dog has any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately!


#5 Macadamia Nuts:

Like grapes, vets and scientists don’t understand why dogs cannot tolerate macadamia nuts BUT when ingested in large quantities, this nut can be extremely harmful. Nuts, in general, are not a good treat for dogs but this particular nut can be toxic. Symptoms include fever, muscle weakness, and vomiting.

Image Source: Wikimedia Commons


#6 Salty Snacks:

Salty snacks are a staple in many households. But just like they aren’t really good for humans, they aren’t good for dogs either. Eating too much sodium can actually result in sodium ion poisoning. One chip or pretzel won’t put your dog at risk but leaving a large bowl out or your dog consuming an entire bag can!


Image Source:


Sodium ion poisoning symptoms include high fever, diarrhea, excessive thirst, seizures, kidney damage, and vomiting. If you think your dog may be showing signs, give him a full bowl of water and call your vet immediately!


#7 Xylitol:

This sugar substitute is often seen in sugar-free gum, low-calorie snacks, breath mints, and toothpaste. Even a small amount can be deadly to your dog. It makes their insulin levels spike causing (often irreversible) fatal consequences.

Image Source: Wikipedia


Make sure all items containing xylitol are locked away from your pet. Or better yet, do not use these products at all. Check the ingredients on the label to keep your pet safe. Your home is also your dog’s home. Keep her safe, always!


Please click ‘SHARE’ below to spread the word – thank you!

Recent Articles

Interested in learning even more about all things dogs? Get your paws on more great content from iHeartDogs!

Read the Blog