iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
For many dog owners, inappropriate marking behavior can be a significant challenge, often leading to frustration and potential damage within the home. While marking is a natural canine behavior, it’s essential to understand its causes and find effective solutions to prevent it. This article delves into the best dog pee deterrents for marking, offering insights and recommendations to help you keep your home clean and scent-free.
#1 – Bodhi Dog Not Here! Spray | Trains Your Pet Where Not to Urinate | Training Corrector for Puppies & Dogs | for Indoor & Outdoor Use | No More Marking | Made in The USA (8 Ounce)
The Bodhi Dog Not Here! Spray is a training corrector designed to deter pets from urinating in unwanted areas. Simply spray the product on the areas your pet frequently visits, and the special formula will discourage them from re-marking or re-soiling those spots. The spray can be used indoors and outdoors, and it is safe for most fabrics and plants. The product is made in the USA and is part of a housebreaking training plan to help shorten the time it takes to train your pet.
#2 – Nature’s Miracle Advanced Platinum No More Marking, 24 Ounces, Helps Discourage Repetitive Pet Marking New – 24oz
Nature’s Miracle Advanced Platinum No More Marking is a 24-ounce spray that is designed to discourage repetitive marking behavior in dogs. It is formulated with a repellent scent that deters dogs from revisiting and marking the same spot twice. This product is safe to use around pets and in the home when used as directed, making it an ideal solution for indoor training and breaking dogs’ marking behaviors.
#3 – Nature’s Miracle No More Marking Stain And Odor Remover With Repellent, Helps Discourage Repetitive Pet Marking, 1 Gallon
The Nature’s Miracle No More Marking Stain and Odor Remover with Repellent is designed to discourage pets from marking the same spot repeatedly by removing tough urine stains and odors. The repellent formula contains scents of lemongrass and cinnamon to discourage pets from returning to the area. This product is made by Nature’s Miracle, a trusted brand known for its effective pet stain and odor removing products, and is backed by a money-back guarantee.
#4 – Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator for Strong Odor – Enzyme Pet Odor Eliminator for Home – Carpet Stain Remover for Cats and Dog Pee – Enzymatic Cat Urine Destroyer – Carpet Cleaner Spray
The Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator is a chlorine-free and color-safe spray that is designed to eliminate pet stains and odors from various surfaces. It has been certified safe for use around pets and children, with no hazardous propellants or residue left behind. The enzymatic formula is activated on contact, feeding on odors and stains until they are completely eliminated. The product has a high customer satisfaction rate and offers a full refund if the stains and odors are not completely gone.
#5 – Sunny & Honey Pet Stain & Odor Miracle – Enzyme Cleaner for Dog Urine Cat Pee Feces Vomit, Enzymatic Solution Cleans Carpet Rug Car Upholstery Couch Mattress Furniture, Stain Eliminator (32FL OZ)
The Sunny & Honey Pet Stain & Odor Miracle is a powerful enzyme cleaner that effectively removes tough stains and odors caused by dog and cat urine, feces, vomit, and more. It not only eliminates stains but also neutralizes strong pet odors, leaving your home smelling fresh. This pet-friendly cleaner is safe for both pets and kids, with a biodegradable and non-toxic formula scented with essential oils. It’s easy to use – simply spray on the affected area, let it sit, and wipe it off.
#6 – Petsly Anti Cat & Dog Urine Spray – 17 Fl Oz – No More Marking Spray for Dogs & Cats – Non-Staining Potty Training Spray for Dogs & Cats – Effective Don’t Pee Here Spray for Dogs – Made in Germany
Petsly Anti Cat & Dog Urine Spray is a German-made product designed to deter pets from marking unwanted areas in the house. It serves as an educational spray to train cats and dogs to stay away from furniture and other designated areas. The spray has a non-staining formula, making it safe to use on various surfaces, and is effective at keeping the home clean and odor-free.
#7 – Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator for Strong Odor – Citrus Deodorizer for Strong Dog or Cat Pee Smells on Carpet, Furniture & Indoor Outdoor Floors – 24 Fluid Ounces – Puppy Supplies
The Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator is a powerful citrus deodorizer designed to eliminate strong pet odors such as urine smells on carpets, furniture, and indoor/outdoor floors. Derived from fresh orange peels, the citrus scent gives a pleasant aroma while effectively destroying stubborn odors. The product is ready to use and can be applied directly to the affected area without the need for mixing, making it convenient for pet owners. Additionally, it can also be used to eliminate odors from various surfaces such as tile, couch upholstery, and car interiors.
What Should I Consider When Purchasing a Dog Pee Deterrent?
When purchasing a dog pee deterrent, there are several essential factors to consider to ensure its effectiveness and safety:
- Safety First: It’s crucial to choose a deterrent that is safe for both pets and humans. Check the ingredients and ensure there are no toxic or harmful chemicals. Natural ingredients are often preferred as they are less likely to cause adverse reactions.
- Purpose: Some deterrents are designed to prevent dogs from urinating in specific areas, while others aim to stop the marking behavior entirely. Identify your primary need and choose a product accordingly.
- Effectiveness: Look for products with proven effectiveness. Customer reviews, testimonials, and professional recommendations can offer insights into how well a deterrent works in real-world scenarios.
- Ease of Use: Some deterrents might require regular application, while others might be one-time installations. Depending on your needs and lifestyle, choose a product that is convenient for you.
- Odor: While the goal is to deter dogs from marking, it shouldn’t be unbearable for humans. Opt for a product with a pleasant or neutral scent.
- Surface Compatibility: Ensure the deterrent won’t stain or damage the surfaces you plan to apply it to, especially if you’re using it indoors.
- Duration of Effect: Check how long the deterrent lasts after application. Some might require frequent reapplication, which can be less convenient for busy pet owners.
- Cost-Effectiveness: While you might be inclined to go for the cheapest option, it’s essential to weigh the cost against the product’s effectiveness and duration. Sometimes, investing in a slightly more expensive product can be more economical in the long run if it’s more effective and lasts longer.
Remember, every dog is unique, so what works for one might not work for another. It might take some trial and error to find the perfect deterrent for your pup.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Pee Deterrents
- What are dog pee deterrents used for? Dog pee deterrents are products designed to discourage dogs from marking or urinating in specific areas, either indoors or outdoors. They can be particularly useful for training purposes or to protect certain areas of a home or garden.
- Are dog pee deterrents safe for my pet? Most dog pee deterrents are formulated to be safe for pets when used as directed. However, it’s essential to read the product label and ensure it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals. Opting for a deterrent with natural ingredients can be a safer choice.
- How do dog pee deterrents work? Deterrents often work by emitting scents that dogs find unpleasant. These scents discourage them from marking or urinating in the treated areas. Some products may also produce a sensation that dogs dislike, further discouraging the behavior.
- Can I use a pee deterrent for both indoor and outdoor applications? While some pee deterrents are versatile and can be used both indoors and outdoors, others are specifically formulated for one environment. Always check the product label to determine where it’s safe and effective to use.
- Will a pee deterrent stain my furniture or carpet? Most pee deterrents are designed not to stain surfaces, but it’s always a good idea to do a patch test on an inconspicuous area first. This ensures that the product won’t discolor or damage your belongings.
- How often should I reapply a dog pee deterrent? The frequency of reapplication varies by product. Some might require daily use, while others might last for days or even weeks. Check the product instructions and monitor its effectiveness to determine the best reapplication schedule.
- Do dog pee deterrents have a strong odor? Many deterrents have a scent, which is what keeps dogs away, but most are formulated to be pleasant or neutral to the human nose. If you’re sensitive to smells, look for reviews that mention the product’s odor.
- Can I use a pee deterrent on a puppy? Yes, pee deterrents can be used on puppies, especially when house training. However, always ensure that the product is safe for younger dogs and use it as directed.
- What if the deterrent doesn’t work on my dog? Every dog is unique, and what works for one might not work for another. If one deterrent doesn’t seem effective, you might need to try a different brand or formulation.
- Are there natural alternatives to store-bought pee deterrents? Yes, some pet owners use natural remedies like essential oils (e.g., eucalyptus or citronella) as deterrents. However, it’s crucial to ensure any natural solution is safe for dogs and won’t harm plants or surfaces.
Conclusion: Best Dog Pee Deterrents for Marking
Marking might be instinctual for our four-legged companions, but it doesn’t mean our homes have to fall victim to the tell-tale signs and smells of dog urine. With the right deterrents and understanding of the underlying causes, it’s entirely possible to manage and minimize this behavior. As you consider the options presented in this article, remember that patience, consistency, and a touch of prevention can go a long way in keeping both you and your canine companion happy and harmonious.