As dog lovers, we know to trust our dog’s judgment when it comes to people. I don’t know how many times my dog has not liked someone and it turned out to be with good reason. So, it only makes sense to bring your furry wingman with you on your date to make sure he or she meets with their approval.
“If you really want to get to know someone you’re dating, then have them meet your cherished live-in companion, your dog – or, in my case, dogs,” says Kris Rotonda, CEO, You Must Love Dogs Dating, an online dating site for single dog lovers.
“Better yet, if your date has a dog, too, why not double date with your dogs?” says Rotonda’s girlfriend, Denise Fernandez. “It’s an effective, natural and unpretentious way of getting to know each other and the significant four-legged others in your life.”
There are plenty of fun, exciting, and romantic dates for dog lovers out there, including some where your dogs can go too.
Rontonda suggests these 3 dog-friendly dates:
- Look up the nearest dog beach or park. Dog parks and beaches are full of interesting sights and smells, particularly if you’re a dog, and room for running and playing games. You and your date can toss Frisbees, take a leisurely stroll with your dogs, or just kick back for some entertaining dog-watching.
- Dog-friendly bars and restaurants. More and more establishments are realizing the value of setting a place at the table for dogs
- Go shopping together. Pet stores are always dog-friendly zones; check out fun new products together, scope out the fish and birds available for sale, you may even get a little paw mani-pedi together!
Other great dates include:
- Go to a dog show or performance competition. Whether it’s a low-key obedience match or an exciting agility, dock diving, or herding trials, it’s a great place to bond over your passion.
- Sign up for a pet charity walk/run. A fun, athletic date that gives back. Sometimes your dogs can even go along.
- Go on a Picnic. There is nothing more traditionally romantic that going on a picnic date, and it’s super easy to take the dog along.
Need a Date?
Meeting someone with shared interests can be challenging, especially if you meet somewhere generic like the grocery store or a bar. Rontonda’s site, can help you find a significant other who will adore your first love as much as you do.
When Rotonda and Fernandez first got to know each other, Rotonda was shocked that his would-be girlfriend, having no previous experience with dogs, wasn’t a dog lover. Over time, however, Fernandez came to love Rotonda’s four dogs, which helped strengthen the couple’s bond. It was this experience that drove Rotonda to create his online dating site.
So if your first criteria is “must love dogs,” this is the place for you to find your own happily after ever. Then, grab your pup and plan a date the whole family can enjoy.