Dog Dies Tragic Unexpected Death After Splashing Around In Kiddie Pool

One of Winter the Border Collie’s favorite things on a hot summer day was to splash around and play in a water-filled baby pool in his backyard. But, on the very day his parents shot footage of Winter enjoying the water, the dog passed away.

He didn’t die in a way you may expect. It wasn’t from heat stroke or drowning. The young, energetic, 18-month-old pup died from a condition called water intoxication.

Wet Winter
Instagram

What Happened To Winter?

It was officially “pool season,” and Winter was ecstatic and in his element. Winter was well-known for loving water. He enjoyed frequent dips in the baby pool his mom would set up for him in his backyard and would excitedly jump into just about any place he could get his four paws wet. 

But what happened after he spent the day splashing around in the baby pool in his backyard was both unexpected and extremely tragic.

RELATED: Mourning Family Warns Other Dog Owners After A Day At The Lake Turns Deadly

Winter digging in pool
TikTok

In the midst of an afternoon he spent cooling off from the scorching sun in his beloved baby pool, Winter suddenly became sleepy and adamant about getting back inside the house. After he asked multiple times, his mom, Jesse, decided to open the door. But after only a few steps, Winter began to vomit up a tremendous amount of water onto the floor. 

“I opened the door, he took a few steps, and he threw-up about the size of a round dinner table,  like that much water just in one go,” explained Jesse, his mom.

Immediately after he got sick, she rushed her beloved best friend to the vet. But his condition rapidly declined, and he died.  

Water Intoxication Is Rare But Real

Also known as hyponatremia, water intoxication occurs when your dog drinks too much water too quickly. This causes their body to lose sodium. The cells begin to fill with water and swell. If it gets to the point where the cells in their brain swell too much, it can affect their central nervous system and potentially become fatal. 

Winter in pool
TikTok

While water intoxication may be rare, it’s important to know the warning signs. (Especially if your dog loves water like Winter did.)

If you’re spending the day where your dog could gulp too much water, you’ll want to look out for: 

  • your dog acting overly tired or more lethargic than usual
  • loss of coordination
  • excessive drooling 
  • difficulty breathing 
  • vomiting 
  • diarrhea

Experts agree that it doesn’t make sense to keep your dog from enjoying some summer fun, but if you suddenly see your dog acting strangely, do not hesitate to take them to the vet. Sudden symptoms could be a sign of something more serious. Winter was only playing in his pool for an hour, and it was only filled with four inches of water.

Featured Image: TikTok

Man’s About To Return Shelter Dog When He Reads Previous Owner’s Note
Officer Adopts Distressed Dog Stranded In Hot Car For Hours
Black Ink Crew‘s Ceaser Emanuel Charged With Animal Cruelty After Hitting Dog With Chair
80 Neglected, Traumatized Dogs Discovered In Condemned House
Stick Lodged Inside Dog’s Neck Goes Unnoticed By Vets For 6 Weeks
Pet Lovers Rejoice As New York Gets Closer To Banning Puppy Stores
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]