They may be a different species, but dogs can experience many of the same ailments as humans. Allergies, for one thing, can plague many dogs too. They also don’t possess the restraint to stop scratching or nibbling (hey, some humans don’t either), which can have consequences of its own.
As the one responsible for your dog’s food and medical needs, it’s up to you to ensure they get the ingredients they need to maintain a healthy immune system. These immune-boosting ingredients can be found in supplements, and adding them to your dog’s food is not only simple, but it’s also effective in helping reduce painful itchiness!
What Causes Itchy Allergies In Dogs?
When a dog has an allergic reaction, their body releases histamine, which leads to itchiness, irritation, and inflammation. Medically known as canine atopic dermatitis (CAD), dry, itchy skin can cause other problems for dogs. If left untreated, it can lead to lesions, hair loss, or bacterial infections.
This painful itchiness can be caused by a variety of factors, including hypersensitivity to allergens. The 3 most common types of allergies in dogs are:
Learn more about each of these allergens here.
Common Signs of Allergies In Dogs
If you notice any of these signs and symptoms, your dog may be suffering from allergies:
- Scratching and biting of the skin
- Excessive licking
- Watery eyes
- Paw chewing or licking
- Nasal discharge
- Difficulty breathing
Consulting your veterinarian as soon as you notice symptoms can prevent complications down the road. Plus, you’ll help eliminate that discomfort for them more quickly.
Why Your Dog Might Need An Allergy Supplement
It’s sad to see your dog itchy and uncomfortable! Fortunately, there are many ways to help boost their immune system and combat itchy, dry skin. Some studies have shown promise with Omega-3 supplementation in the diet of dogs suffering from allergies.
Simply giving your dog a supplement likely won’t completely erase the symptoms, and you should always consult your veterinarian for a complete treatment plan. Still, the evidence pretty clearly indicates that Omega-3 fatty acids provide benefits to the immune system, and many dogs are in fact deficient in Omega fatty acids that they can’t produce on their own and need in their diets.
Their Dog Food May Not Contain Essential Fatty Acids
There are many sources of immune-boosting Omega fatty acids. However, they may not be present in your dog’s food due to their susceptibility to heat, which is plentiful in the cooking/treatment processes for dog food.
Salmon oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that support a healthy immune system, heart health, anti-inflammatory properties, healthy skin and coat, and cognitive function. So, adding this ingredient to your dog’s food will help their itchiness and reduce skin irritation. Dropping in a supplement can provide them with their daily essential fatty acid needs.
A Simple, Natural Solution That Won’t Require Switching Dog Food
Providing fresh or raw food for your dog can be expensive and time-consuming. When you give your dog a supplement, you don’t need to replace their dog food. You can just put all the important, healthy ingredients right on top.
The Answer To Uncontrollable Itching: New iHeartDogs® Happy, Healthy™ Allergy & Itch Relief for Dogs
With the expertise of our team of researchers and veterinarians at iHeartDogs, we highly recommend the Happy Healthy Allergy & Itch Relief for your pup’s omega and allergy relief supplement! Formulated with high-quality USA-sourced ingredients, these chews will really help with your dog’s uncomfortable allergies.
High-Quality Ingredients Deliver Allergy Relief
Each 3-gram chew contains 7o mg of salmon oil. In addition to the salmon oil, these chews contain several ingredients that will help your dog’s painful, itchy skin:
- Probiotic Blend: The immune system and the GI tract are inextricably linked, and problems with the gut can lead to inflammation and allergy symptoms. This probiotic blend promotes healthy digestion and intestinal balance, as well as strengthening the immune system.
- Reishi Mushrooms: These mushrooms boost immunity, block histamines that cause allergies, and help renew liver cells to improve detox. They’re great for your pup’s health!
- Colostrum (aka “Mother’s First Milk”): Commonly known as “Mother’s First Milk,” colostrum comes from mammary glands and provides high levels of antibodies for natural immune system support. Colostrum is a rich source of amino acids, growth and immune factors, enzymes, and proteins that promote growth by aiding in cell renewal.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This ingredient is trendy among people too! That’s because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It can relieve itching.
- Quercetin: Studies have shown that Quercetin can help minimize histamine production. That’s the reason many refer to it as “Nature’s Benadryl.”
Using the highest quality ingredients, our chewables deliver allergy and itch relief while promoting a healthy immune system and aiding in digestion for all-around dog health.
They’re also available in two sizes: one for small dogs and one for large dogs. And of course, like all of our products sold on iHeartDogs.com, each purchase of the Happy, Healthy™ Allergy & Itch Relief for Dogs provides meals for 14 shelter dogs!