Shelter Dog Meal Donation Count:

Learn More

Home Forums Breeds Dobermans Behavior & Training Questions

9 month Puppy not Sleeping all night

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So, our 9 month puppy isn’t sleeping all night. She wakes up in the middle of the night, around 3 am, and starts to cry and whine. She was crate trained when she was younger but when she grew out of her crate, we decided to just keep her in her dog bed, right next to ours. We do have a doggy gate to keep her closed in. I know she gets plenty of exercise through the day and we go on walks with a 10 lbs backpack. We take her out for potty before we go to bed so I know it can’t be that. I don’t know why she wakes up and starts crying and whining. What could it be? What tips can you help with?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Our Pandora is now 18 months old and she started doing the EXACT same thing about 2 months ago. She sleeps in our bedroom and has a choice of her crate, which is covered for privacy, or she has a cushion in my closet where she spends about half the time. We tell her to “go night night” and she goes straight to bed. At first we thought she had to go to the potty so we started getting up with her to take her out. When several weeks went by and we were getting up 2 times a night we realized we had a problem. She would pee most of the time when we took her out but we could not understand why she has been able to sleep all night since she was 5 months old so why not now. We think she just decided she was lonely but we didn’t want to have to sleep on the floor with her. We got her another cushion which we put beside the bed. We also shut the bedroom door so she could not see the rest of the house. We made sure she went potty before bedtime so that was not the issue. When she would wake us up with whines, we very gently told her ” no-no baby, go night night.” She would usually get in the cushion next to the bed so she was right beside us. That went on 3-4 times a night, for a week or so but miraculously, she started sleeping through the night and has for the last month. Judging from your beautiful picture, your baby is like Pandora. She can only handle a short time away from her family and then gets lonely. You know how smart (and manipulative) they are. Maybe just being firm with a command to go back to sleep could work for you. Good luck to you, sleep deprivation certainly complicates a busy life.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Your baby is adorable! I hope this is just a phase that’ll pass. I did sleep with my arm hanging over the edge of the bed and that helped. She licked my hand and went right back to sleeping – no crying! I think she is just lonely. Fingers crossed she’s pass this stage pretty quick. 🙂 Thanks for the support!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.