iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds – Here’s What Most Important
We all know the pains of sleeping on a less than ideal mattress. Especially as we age, the importance of your dog’s bed increases, as their older joints may be suffering from stiffness and arthritis.
Choosing a bed for your aging dog can be a challenge. In this in-depth guide, we’ll walk you to evaluating what’s most important when shopping for your dog’s orthopedic bed.
- Orthopedic Memory Foam: Memory foam is the ideal bedding material for dogs with achy joints who need extra support. It helps ease the pain and the stiffness, making it easier for old dogs to get up again. Typically, quality orthopedic dog beds consist of a memory foam layer on top of a supportive foam layer.
- Durability: Some dogs can be more destructive than others. The best beds are multi-layered and built with sturdy material so your dog can’t rip out the essential foam inside.
- Size: A larger dog should sleep in a bed designed for larger dogs and vice versa. This will ensure all their pressure points are properly soothed.
- Ease of Cleaning: If your aging dog becomes incontinent, it can make your house stinky. Many of the best beds come with removable waterproof liners you can easily wash if they get peed on or worse.
- Warming Or Cooling Features: While not essential in a bed, cooling gel or electric warming might help soothe some of your aging dog’s pains.
With all those things in mind, here are iHeartDogs.com’s picks for the 8 best orthopedic beds for senior dogs.
Best Orthopedic Bed For Arthritic Dogs
The Kopeks Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed is made of 100% orthopedic-grade, hypoallergenic memory foam, just like in high-end mattresses. This bed also comes with a waterproof liner for those drooly dogs or seniors with incontinence.
Best Orthopedic Bed For Small Dogs
The older your dog gets, the less they’re willing to climb to go to sleep. Smaller beds by The Dog’s Bed contain just 2 inches of orthopedic memory foam on top of a 2″ base of high stability support foam. Removable covers are easy to wash and make The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed look more fashionable.
Best Orthopedic Bed For Large Dogs
The Big Barker is made especially for larger dogs. With 7″ of foam support, the Big Barker Pillow Top Bed even proved its ability to reduce joint pain and improve mobility in a clinical study. This bed does skew on the pricier side, but it’s a worthwhile investment for your dog.
Most Stylish Orthopedic Dog Bed
Let’s face it – dog beds don’t make for the most attractive pieces of furniture. The Puprug Faux Fur Memory Foam Bed looks classy and offers memory foam comfort for your dog.
Best Orthopedic Cooling Dog Bed
In addition to the SEALY Lux Pet Dog Bed’s cooling energy gel that helps soothe achy joints, this bed is built with a pro-charcoal base to absorb odors. The cooling gel cradles all your dog’s key pressure points, which is one thing that makes this bed stand out.
Best Warming Orthopedic Dog Bed
The sidewalls of the K&H Heated Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper are designed for cuddlers, offering support and soothing warmth all around. The low-wattage heater is energy-efficient and certified safe for your pup.
Best Overall Reviewed Orthopedic Dog Bed
Furhaven makes several orthopedic beds, but this one with cooling gel and memory foam has the most positive user reviews. As of March 2022, there were over 75,000 reviews on this bed – the majority of which are outstanding. On Chewy, the Furhaven Orthopedic, Cooling Gel, and Memory Foam Two-Tone L Chaise has 60% 5-star reviews. So, if you don’t trust me, maybe you’ll take the words of thousands of real customers.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed To Go Inside a Crate
If you’d prefer to keep your dog’s bedding inside of their crate, the Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed is the right size and shape for most standard crates. It comes in three sizes: 35 x 22″, 42 x 27″, and 47″ x 29″. The cover unzips so you can take it off and throw it right in the washing machine.
Best Bed Variety
Bully Beds offers a variety of high-quality beds that provide maximum comfort for your furry friend. All the beds come with a removable and washable microfiber cover, and some include waterproof liners. They’re packed with orthopedic foam that’s perfectly designed for large dogs. They come in four sizes, from medium to XXL, so they’re perfect for dogs who like to stretch out or share a bed with their canine sibling. The only downside is that there aren’t any small beds available.
If you’re still not sure what kind of bed is right for your senior dog, consider asking your veterinarian for their expert and personalized advice on whether a cooling bed, warming bed, cuddler, or flat bed is best.
Dog Beds to Avoid
Keep in mind there is no strict definition of orthopedic. Check to make sure the bed you’re purchasing isn’t just being marketed an orthopedic bed with just regular foam. No matter how thick, basic foam will wear wear and flatten down quickly, leaving your dog feeling the hard floor with their hip and elbows.
5 Tips for Finding the Best Orthopedic Bed for Your Dog
- Consider the Dog’s Size and Breed: It’s essential to choose a bed that fits your dog’s size and breed. Larger breeds, such as Great Danes or Saint Bernards, will need larger beds that can accommodate their size, while smaller breeds will be more comfortable in a smaller bed. If you have a breed prone to certain orthopedic issues like hip dysplasia or arthritis, consider that while choosing the bed.
- Look for High-Quality, Durable Materials: The bed should be made of high-quality, durable materials. Memory foam is a great option for orthopedic beds because it can conform to your dog’s body, providing maximum support and comfort. A bed made from low-quality materials will not provide the necessary support and may quickly deteriorate, necessitating frequent replacements.
- Check the Thickness and Density of the Bed: Orthopedic dog beds should be thick and dense enough to provide appropriate support for your pet’s weight. If the bed is too thin, your dog’s body may sink through to the hard floor, which can cause discomfort or exacerbate existing conditions.
- Choose a Bed with a Removable, Washable Cover: Keeping the dog bed clean is essential for your pet’s health and hygiene. Beds with removable, washable covers are easier to maintain, as you can regularly wash them to eliminate any dirt, hair, or allergens.
- Read Reviews and Ratings: Online reviews and ratings from other customers can give you valuable insights into a product’s quality and performance. Look for products with positive reviews, specifically from owners of dogs similar to yours. Pay special attention to reviews mentioning longevity, comfort, and how well the bed has helped with orthopedic issues.
Common Questions about Dog Orthopedic Beds
Here’s some common questions we often here about canine orthopedic beds:
What Exactly Makes a Dog Bed ‘Orthopedic’?
There is no strict definition of an orthopedic dog bed. However, most orthopedic dog beds cater to older dogs with joint pain. An orthopedic bed will typically use thick memory foam to shield your dog’s elbows and hips from the hard floor below.
At What Age Does My Dog Need an Orthopedic Bed?
Typically, most dog owners consider an orthopedic dog bed when their dog becomes a senior, often considered to be around age seven. However, many large breed dogs suffer from joint pain much earlier than 7. An orthopedic dog bed can be given to any dog at any age.
How Long Does an Orthopedic Dog Bed Last?
There is no hard and fast rule about how long an orthopedic dog bed will last. However, typically well made beds feature memory foam that last substantially longer than typical inexpensive foam beds.
Dog Product Reviews
- Best Dog Foods
- Best Fresh Dog Foods
- Best Freeze Dried Dog Foods
- Best Raw Dog Foods
- Best Online Dog Training Classes
- Best Fish Oil for Dogs
- Best Multivitamins for Dogs
- Best Invisible E-Fences for Dogs
- Best Grooming Tools for Dogs
- Best Beds for Senior Dogs
- Best Dog Toys
- Best GPS & Tracking Collars
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best No-Pull Dog Harnesses
- Best Pet Safe Weed Killers