iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
When it comes to our four-legged family members, mobility issues can often be a limiting factor, especially for older dogs or those with joint or muscle problems. Climbing onto beds, sofas, or even into cars can become a struggle, potentially causing pain or exacerbating existing health conditions. That’s where dog ramps come into play. These practical accessories provide a convenient, safer way for dogs to access elevated spaces. In this article, we’ll review the best dog ramps for beds available in the market, evaluating them on ease of use, durability, and how well they cater to the needs of dogs with different mobility challenges.
#1 – EHEYCIGA Dog Stairs for High Beds, 4-Step Dog Steps for Couch, Pet Stairs for Small Dogs and Cats, High Bed Climbing, Non-Slip Balanced Dog Indoor Step, Grey, 2/3/4/5 Steps
The EHEYCIGA Dog Stairs for High Beds is a set of foam pet stairs designed to help small dogs and cats comfortably climb onto high furniture such as beds and sofas. The stairs are made of 33D density foam, providing stability and support for pets while protecting their joints with a low angle slope design. The stairs come in multiple step sizes and have a removable washable cover for easy cleaning. It is important to note that the inner foam is not washable and requires 24-48 hours to fully expand after unpacking.
#2 – CiWiVOKi Dog Stairs for Small Dogs, 5-Step Dog Steps for Couch and High Bed, Non-Slip Pet Stairs, 24″ High Sofa Foam Dog Ramp – Best for Small Pets, Older Dogs, Cats with Joint Pain
The CiWiVOKi Dog Stairs for Small Dogs is a 5-step staircase designed to help small pets, older dogs, and cats with joint pain reach couches and high beds easily. The stairs feature a non-slip design and are made with a soft and comfortable high-density sponge. The product is easy to disassemble and clean, with a machine-washable soft cover that can be removed and a foam insert that can be spot-cleaned or lightly vacuumed. The dimensions of the pet ramps are (L) 34-inch x (W) 16-inch x (H) 24-inch, making them suitable for portable use.
#3 – High Density Foam Dog Stairs Ramp for Beds and Couches, Romrol Extra Wide Pet Steps with Durable Non-Slip Waterproof Fabric Cover, Dog Slope Stairs Friendly to Small Dogs and Cats or Pets Joints, 3-Tiers
The High-Density Foam Dog Stairs Ramp is a pet product designed to provide a gentle and comfortable slope for small dogs and cats to climb onto beds, couches, or other elevated surfaces. The stairs are made of high-density foam that can support up to 55 pounds of weight, providing maximum support and protection for pets’ knee joints. The stairs also feature a non-slip surface and a waterproof fabric cover for added safety and convenience. Additionally, the product includes a pet hair remover roller and is easy to assemble and transport.
#4 – Sakgos Adjustable Dog Ramp for Bed, Wooden Folding Portable Pet Ramp, Dog Ramp for High Bed Small Dog, Adjustable from 11.8″ to 17.7″ with Non-Slip Traction Mat, Dog Ramps for Couch and Bed
The Sakgos Adjustable Dog Ramp is a portable and collapsible ramp designed to assist small dogs in accessing high beds and couches. Its adjustable height feature allows it to accommodate different furniture heights, ranging from 11.8″ to 17.7″. The ramp is made of durable pine wood and features a non-slip traction mat to ensure the safety of pets while they climb.
#5 – TOFUUMI Dog Ramp for Bed, Car Ramp, Folding Pet Ramp, Dog Stairs, Cat Ramp, Portable Dog Steps Suitable for Elevated Surface Between 15″-27″ for Small to Extra Large Dogs (51 inches)
The TOFUUMI Dog Ramp is a versatile and convenient tool for pet owners. With multiple ramp sizes to choose from, it can be used for various elevated surfaces such as beds, sofas, and cars. The ramp is designed with high traction and anti-slip features for your pet’s safety and comfort. It is also adjustable in height and foldable for easy storage and portability. Additionally, the ramp is made of durable materials to ensure stability and can support pets weighing up to 100 lbs.
#6 – Chasing Tails Dog Ramps for Large Dogs – Supports up to 200 lbs. – 25 Inch Height Wooden Dog Ramp, Wide, Sturdy Ramp for Dogs to Get on Bed – Rampa para Perros Subir a Cama
The Chasing Tails Dog Ramps for Large Dogs is a sturdy and stable wooden ramp designed to help large dogs easily get on and off the bed. With a weight limit of 200 lbs and a middle leg for extra stability, this ramp can safely support all dog breeds. The non-slip surface and silicone paddings ensure that dogs can climb the ramp without slipping or sliding, making it ideal for tiny, senior, arthritic, or recovering pups. Additionally, the ramp comes with railings for added safety and easy assembly instructions.
#7 – 41.2″ Dog Climbing Ladder by YOUMI, Wooden Foldable Portable Dog & Cat Ramp Perfect for Bed and Car, Suitable for L/XL Dogs Up to 200 LBS, 6 Levels Height Adjustable Dog Car Ramps (Walnut)
The 41.2″ Dog Climbing Ladder by YOUMI is a wooden, foldable, and portable ramp designed for dogs and cats. It can be adjusted to six different heights, allowing pets to easily reach beds, couches, or cars. The ramp is made of durable wood and can hold pets up to 200 pounds. It features a non-slip carpet surface to prevent pets from slipping and is easy to clean. Additionally, it is lightweight and collapsible for convenient storage and transportation.
#8 – Topmart High-Density Extended Foam Dog Ramp&Steps 2 Tiers,11.8″ High, Non-Slip Dog Stairs, Soft Foam Dog Ladder with Waterproof Cover, Best for Dogs Injured, Older Cats, Pets with Joint Pain
The Topmart High-Density Extended Foam Dog Ramp & Steps is designed to provide a safe and secure climbing environment for older or leg-injured pets. It features longer and larger steps, which reduce strain on the joints of pets when climbing onto beds or sofas. The waterproof cover protects the foam from getting dirty, and the stair cover is removable and machine-washable for easy cleaning. Additionally, the product comes with a pet hair removal tool as an extra bonus.
Related: 10 Best Elevated Dog Beds
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Dog Ramp for Beds?
When choosing a dog ramp for beds, several factors come into play to ensure you’re making the best decision for your pet’s specific needs. Here are some important aspects to consider:
- Stability and Durability: The ramp should be sturdy enough to safely support your dog’s weight. Look for materials like heavy-duty plastic or wood for durability. Some ramps also come with rubberized feet to provide extra stability.
- Length and Incline: The length of the ramp and its incline should be appropriate for your dog’s size and mobility level. A steeper ramp may be difficult for older dogs or those with joint issues, while a longer, more gradual incline is generally easier to navigate.
- Traction: Traction is crucial for safety, particularly for dogs with mobility issues. Look for ramps with textured surfaces, rubber matting, or carpeting to help your dog maintain a good grip.
- Adjustability: Some ramps are adjustable, meaning you can change the incline to better suit your dog’s abilities. This feature can be particularly useful if your dog’s mobility changes over time due to age or health conditions.
- Portability: If you intend to move the ramp between rooms or take it on the go, you might prefer a lightweight, foldable design. However, make sure you’re not sacrificing stability for portability.
- Ease of Cleaning: Dogs can be messy, so opt for a ramp with materials that are easy to clean. Removable, washable covers are a handy feature.
- Aesthetics: While the function is the most important factor, you may also want to consider how the ramp looks in your home. Some ramps come in various colors or premium materials like wood to better match your home decor.
- Safety Features: Additional safety features like side rails can provide extra security for your dog, preventing them from falling off the sides.
- Budget: Prices for dog ramps can vary widely based on their features and materials. While it’s tempting to go for a cheaper option, remember that a durable, well-designed ramp is a long-term investment in your dog’s health and comfort.
By considering these factors, you’ll be better equipped to choose a dog ramp that suits both your needs and those of your canine companion.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Ramps for Beds
- Why would my dog need a ramp for the bed? Dog ramps can be particularly useful for older dogs, dogs with mobility issues, or small breeds that struggle to jump onto higher surfaces. A ramp provides a gradual incline, reducing the stress on their joints and making it easier for them to get onto the bed.
- How do I choose the right size ramp for my dog? Measure the height of the bed and the space available for the ramp. Ideally, choose a ramp length that provides a gentle incline for your dog, making it easier for them to climb. Check the weight capacity to ensure it can safely support your dog.
- Are dog ramps safe for puppies? Dog ramps can be safe for puppies, but it’s essential to ensure that the ramp has adequate traction and stability. Also, supervise your puppy while using the ramp to ensure they navigate it safely, and consider a ramp with guardrails for extra security.
- Do dog ramps come with different surface materials? Yes, dog ramps come with various surface materials, such as carpeting, rubber, or textured plastic. The choice of material should provide good traction to prevent slipping and should be comfortable for your dog’s paws.
- Can I use an outdoor ramp for the bed? While outdoor ramps are primarily designed for different conditions, they can be used indoors. However, make sure they have the features you’d want for indoor use, such as adequate traction and a size that fits well with your furniture.
- Are dog ramps adjustable? Some dog ramps are adjustable, allowing you to change the incline or length. This feature can be especially useful for multi-pet households or if your dog’s mobility changes over time.
- How do I train my dog to use a ramp? Use treats and positive reinforcement to encourage your dog to use the ramp. Start by placing the ramp on a flat surface before moving it to the bed, allowing your dog to get accustomed to walking on it.
- Is it difficult to assemble a dog ramp? Assembly depends on the specific model you choose. Many ramps come pre-assembled, while others may require some basic tools and a few minutes to put together. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- How do I clean and maintain a dog ramp? Maintenance can vary based on the material. Generally, ramps with removable covers are easier to clean. For other types, a simple wipe-down with a damp cloth and mild soap should suffice for regular cleaning.
- What are some safety features I should look for? Safety features may include rubberized feet for stability, guardrails to prevent falls, and textured surfaces for better traction. These features add an extra layer of security, making it safer for your dog to use the ramp.
Conclusion: Best Dog Ramps for Beds
In conclusion, choosing the right dog ramp for your pet is a significant decision that can vastly improve their quality of life, particularly for those with mobility issues or older age. A good dog ramp should be durable, easy to use, and well-suited to your dog’s size and health condition. Whether you are looking for a ramp with adjustable heights, a foldable design for easy storage, or one that offers extra grip for better traction, the perfect dog ramp can be a simple yet impactful addition to your home. Invest wisely to give your canine companion the comfort and accessibility they deserve.