iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
It’s heart-wrenching to see our beloved canine companions suffer from incessant itching, which can be caused by a variety of factors including allergies, skin infections, or external parasites. Providing immediate relief and addressing the root cause is vital to your pet’s comfort and overall health. Enter the realm of dog-specific balms for itch relief: specially formulated products designed to alleviate the discomfort of itchy skin. This article will guide you through some of the best balms available on the market to help soothe your furry friend’s itchy woes.
#1 – Natural Dog Company Skin Soother Bundle, Includes 2oz Tin + 0.15oz Stick, All Natural Healing Balm for Dogs, Relieves Dry, Itchy Skin, Treats Skin Irritations, Wounds, Hot Spots, Dermatitis
The Natural Dog Company Skin Soother Bundle is a healing balm designed to treat and relieve various skin issues in dogs. It is made with organic, vegan, and natural ingredients such as cocoa butter, vitamin E, almond oil, lavender, and chamomile oil. This balm can be used to treat dry, itchy skin, wounds, hot spots, dermatitis, and other skin irritations. It is easy to apply and safe for all dogs, making it a valuable addition to a pup’s first-aid kit.
#2 – Soothe & Heal Balm for Dogs & Cats – Organic & Vegan Ingredients to Relieve Skin Irritations Fast. Natural Hot Spot Treatment for Dry Itchy Skin. All Skin, Snout and Paws. (USA Made – 2.1oz – 62ml)
The Soothe & Heal Balm for Dogs & Cats is a natural and organic solution to relieve skin irritations in pets. It is designed to effectively treat dry, itchy skin and hot spots. The balm is made with safe and easy-to-apply ingredients, providing fast relief from various skin conditions such as rashes, redness, and inflammation. Customers have reported saving money on expensive vet bills by using this product.
#3 – Rhino Wax – Dog Skin Soother Balm – Dog Lotion for Dry Itchy Skin – Coconut Oil + Shea Butter Ointment for Healing Eczema, Itching, Rashes, Irritation and Hot Spots – Heal your Pet – 2oz – Made in USA
Rhino Wax is a dog skin soother balm designed to relieve dry, itchy skin in dogs. Made with all-natural ingredients such as coconut oil and shea butter, the balm moisturizes and protects the skin, promoting healthy fur coat. It is easy to apply and is safe for dogs, as it contains no chemicals or artificial ingredients. Additionally, Rhino Wax pledges to support the World Wildlife Fund in conservation efforts with each purchase.
#4 – Natural Dog Company Complete Itch Kit for Dogs, Skin & Coat Supplement, Itchy Dog Shampoo, Skin Soother Healing Balm, All Natural Ingredients
The Natural Dog Company Complete Itch Kit for Dogs is a bundle of products designed to provide relief for dogs with itchy skin and coat issues. The bundle includes an itchy dog shampoo, skin and coat chews, and a skin-soother healing balm. The products are made with all-natural ingredients and are free of harsh chemicals, making them safe for dogs.
#5 – JAYU PET Red Honey Balm – Dog Paw Balm | Cat Paw Balm | Pet Skin Moisturizer | Cat Dog Skin Paw Nose Lotion | Hotspot Relief | Allergy Itchy Soothing Treatment | Dry Crack Wound Healing Cream 14g
The JAYU PET Red Honey Balm is a moisturizing balm for pets that effectively coats damaged skin barriers such as cracked and irritated paws, nose, and skin. Developed by a team of experts and approved by veterinarians, this balm is formulated with natural ingredients and has no side effects or allergens. It also helps prevent joint issues and is easy to apply with its stick balm design.
#6 – Palmer’s for Pets Cocoa Butter Fragrance-Free All Over Relief Balm for Dogs | Dog Skin Soother Balm, Dog Paw Balm for Dry Skin & Pads Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E for Pets (FF15589)
Palmer’s for Pets Cocoa Butter Fragrance-Free All Over Relief Balm for Dogs is a dog skin-soother and paw balm made with cocoa butter and Vitamin E. It is designed to provide the ultimate protection for dogs’ paws, keeping their skin and pads smooth and soft. Trusted for over 175 years, Palmer’s brand has extended its high-quality products to pets, offering a natural and safe option for paw care without parabens, phthalates, or gluten.
#7 – Pawtitas Itch Soother Dog Balm Relief itching Skin, Flaky, Dry Coat, Hotspot, Rash and Damaged Skin | Trial Size (0.15 oz) | Made with Organic Almond and Goldenseal Provide Instant Calm for Pets
The Pawtitas Itch Soother Dog Balm is a natural and organic ointment designed to provide relief from itching, flaky, and dry skin in dogs. It helps soothe hotspots, rashes, and damaged skin, providing instant calmness for pets. Made with organic almond and goldenseal, this balm protects against various skin issues and can be used daily as needed.
How Should I Choose a Quality Itch Balm for My Dog’s Skin?
Choosing a quality itch balm for your dog’s skin requires careful consideration of several factors:
- Ingredients: Always check the list of ingredients. Look for balms that contain natural ingredients like aloe vera, oatmeal, chamomile, or tea tree oil that are known for their soothing and healing properties. Avoid products with artificial colors, fragrances, or harsh chemicals that can potentially exacerbate your dog’s skin condition.
- Skin Condition: The severity and cause of your dog’s itchiness will also dictate the type of balm you should choose. If your dog has a simple itch due to dry skin, a moisturizing balm may be enough. However, if your dog is suffering from a skin condition like dermatitis, you might need a medicated balm.
- Vet-Approved: Always consider products that are vet-approved or recommended. These balms have usually been tested for efficacy and safety.
- Reviews and Ratings: Check out reviews and ratings from other pet owners. This can provide a good indication of how well the product works.
Remember, while itch balm can provide temporary relief, it’s important to identify and address the underlying cause of your dog’s itchiness. Always consult with your vet if your dog’s skin condition worsens or does not improve.
Frequently Asked Questions About Balms for a Dog’s Itchy Skin
- What is an itch balm for dogs? An itch balm for dogs is a topical product applied to your dog’s skin to alleviate itching. It is often formulated with natural soothing ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, oatmeal, or tea tree oil, and can provide relief from dry, irritated, or inflamed skin.
- How does an itch balm work? Itch balms work by providing soothing and moisturizing relief to your dog’s skin. They create a protective barrier on the skin, helping to lock in moisture and heal dryness. Some balms also have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce redness and swelling.
- Can itch balm help with my dog’s dermatitis? Yes, some itch balms can help with canine dermatitis, but it’s always advisable to consult with your vet. While they can provide temporary relief, they are not a cure, and the underlying cause of the dermatitis should be addressed.
- Can itch balm be used on any part of my dog’s body? Generally, itch balms can be used on any external part of your dog’s body. However, avoid sensitive areas like eyes and ears, and do not use it on open wounds or severe skin conditions without vet approval.
- Are there side effects to using itch balms? Most itch balms are safe and do not cause side effects, particularly if they are natural and vet-approved. However, some dogs may have allergic reactions to certain ingredients. Discontinue use and consult your vet if you notice any adverse reactions.
- How often should I apply itch balm to my dog’s skin? The frequency of application can vary depending on the severity of your dog’s itchiness and the product instructions. Generally, it can be applied 2-3 times per day, but always follow your vet’s advice.
- Will itch balm stain my furniture or carpet? Most itch balms are non-greasy and absorb quickly into the skin, so they should not stain your furniture or carpet. However, it’s best to let the balm absorb fully before your dog has contact with these items.
- Can I use human itch balm on my dog? It’s not recommended to use human products on your dog, as dogs have a different pH level on their skin and may react negatively to certain ingredients. Always choose products specifically formulated for dogs.
- Is itch balm a substitute for flea treatment? While itch balm can help alleviate itchiness caused by flea bites, it should not be used as a substitute for a proper flea treatment plan. If fleas are the cause of your dog’s itchiness, consult your vet for an appropriate flea control method.
- Does itch balm expire? Yes, like all products, itch balms have an expiration date. Always check the product’s expiry date before use, and do not use it past this date to ensure its effectiveness and safety.
Conclusion: Best Balm for Itchy Dogs
Itching in dogs can be more than just a minor annoyance; it can severely impact their quality of life and may indicate underlying health issues. Balms can provide much-needed relief and contribute to the healing process, but it’s essential to remember they are part of the solution, not the entire answer. Consult with your vet to determine the root cause of your dog’s itchiness to provide the most effective, comprehensive care. This guide’s purpose was to introduce you to the top-rated balms for itchy dogs, and we hope it serves as a helpful tool as you navigate your options. After all, nothing is more rewarding than seeing your dog comfortable, happy, and itch-free.