iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Dogs love to explore the world with their paws, making them prone to the effects of harsh environments, extreme temperatures, and rough surfaces. Just as we need lotion to soothe and hydrate our skin, dogs also need a bit of pampering for their paws. This is where dog paw waxes, balms, and lotions come in handy. These products are specifically designed to protect, moisturize, and heal your canine friend’s sensitive paw pads. This article will guide you through some of the best dog paw balms and lotions available, helping you keep your pet’s paws in tip-top condition.
#1 – Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter 2oz
The Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter is a 2oz product designed to provide protection and comfort to dry and cracked paws. It has a wholesome and eco-friendly formula that is pH balanced for cats and safe if licked or swallowed. The butter promotes paw health and contains high-quality ingredients such as shea butter, oatmeal, mango, vitamins E and F, coconut oil, olive oil, and aloe vera to heal and smooth paws. Additionally, it can also be used on dry, cracked noses. Its usage is simple and easy; just gently massage it into your dog’s paws before and after walks.
#2 – Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Wax 60 g (2.1 oz) – Moisturizing Dog Paw Balm that Creates an Invisible Barrier That Protects and Heals Dry Cracked Paws – All-Natural with Vitamin E and Food-Grade Ingredients
Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Wax is a natural and safe paw balm for dogs that moisturizes and protects their paws from dryness and cracking. The all-natural ingredients, including food-grade oils and waxes, make it safe for dogs to lick. It can be used in all seasons and is also safe for other animals, making it a versatile product for any pet owner’s first aid kit. Additionally, the moisturizing properties of this paw wax can soothe and heal dry and cracked paws, making it beneficial for dogs with hot spots and cuts.
#3 – Natural Dog Company Paw Soother Balm, Travel Stick, 0.15 oz, Dog Paw Cream and Lotion, Moisturizes & Soothes Irritated Paws & Elbows, Protects from Cracks & Wounds
The Natural Dog Company Paw Soother Balm is a paw cream designed to moisturize and soothe irritated paws and elbows in dogs. Made with plant-based ingredients, such as calendula extract, vitamin E, and coconut oil, this paw balm keeps paws hydrated, flexible, and spongy while relieving redness and inflammation. It is safe to use as it is lick-safe, and it also protects against cracks, wounds, and scars, making it a versatile solution for various paw-related issues. Made in the USA, this paw cream is gentle on sensitive skin and provides a natural and effective solution for paw care.
#4 – Burt’s Bees for Pets for Dogs All-Natural Paw & Nose Lotion with Rosemary & Olive Oil | For All Dogs and Puppies, 4oz | Best Treatment for All Dogs and Puppies With Dry Nose and Paws
Burt’s Bees for Pets Paw & Nose Lotion is a gentle and natural remedy for dogs with dry or cracked noses and paw pads. Made with high-quality ingredients like olive oil and rosemary, this lotion soothes and nourishes your dog’s skin. It is suitable for all dogs and puppies and is made in the USA. The lotion is safe to use, as it is free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals.
#5 – 2-Pack Paw Nectar Dog Paw Balm, 4 Oz | Heals, Repairs & Restores Dry, Cracked & Damaged Paws | 100% Organic & Natural Cream Butter Wax Moisturizer for Dog Feet & Foot Pads
The 2-Pack Paw Nectar Dog Paw Balm is a natural and organic cream butter wax moisturizer designed to heal, repair, and restore dry, cracked, and damaged paws in dogs. It aims to relieve a dog’s paw pain by addressing the underlying issues. The product is also touted as a way to show love to your dog and save time and money by avoiding vet visits. The immediate results and quality customer service with a money-back guarantee are additional features of this product.
#6 – FUYOAL Dog Paw Cleaner,Dog Paw Balm,Dog Paw Protector for Dogs Large Medium Small XL Breed w/Moisturizer for Cat Hot Pavement Treatment,No-Rinse Foaming Cleanser for Pet Foot Washer Care
The FUYOAL Dog Paw Cleaner is a no-rinse foaming cleanser for dogs’ paws. It is designed to provide quick and efficient cleaning without the need for water or rinsing. The cleaner is made with all natural ingredients, including aloe vera, rosemary, and coconut oil, to gently cleanse and moisturize your pet’s paws. It also comes with a bonus dog paw balm for heat protection, a microfiber towel for drying, and a travel storage bag for convenience.
#7 – Davie’s Dog Paw Balm – Anti Lick, Non-Greasy, Non-Staining, All Natural Ingredients to Protect, Heal, and Sooth – Easy to Apply Stick Paw Pad Protector for All Breeds and Ages – Made in The USA
Davie’s Dog Paw Balm is an all-natural paw balm for dogs that is made in the USA using non-toxic, hypoallergenic ingredients. The balm is quick and easy to apply with a no-mess tube, making it convenient for traveling and outdoor activities. It aims to protect, heal, and moisturize dogs’ paws in various climates and conditions, while also deterring licking with its safe formula.
What’s Important When Purchasing A Balm, Wax, or Lotion for My Dog’s Paws?
When purchasing a balm or lotion for your dog’s paws, there are several important factors to consider:
- Ingredients: Look for natural, non-toxic ingredients that soothe, heal, and moisturize. These might include aloe vera, vitamin E, shea butter, and beeswax. Try to avoid products with chemicals, artificial fragrances, or dyes which could potentially irritate your dog’s skin or be harmful if ingested.
- Efficacy: You’ll want a product that works well and provides relief quickly. Look for products that have positive reviews from other pet owners, suggesting the balm or lotion effectively soothes and heals cracked or dry paws.
- Texture: The balm or lotion should be easy to apply and not too sticky or greasy. It should absorb relatively quickly into your dog’s paw pads.
- Safe to Ingest: Dogs often lick their paws, so the balm or lotion should be safe for ingestion. While you should still discourage your dog from licking their paws after application, knowing the product won’t harm them provides peace of mind.
- Packaging: Products packaged in easy-to-apply formats, like a stick or a tin, can make application much easier and less messy.
Remember, every dog is unique, so what works well for one might not work as well for another. It may take a bit of trial and error to find the perfect product for your pup. Always consult with your veterinarian if you’re unsure about a specific product or if your dog’s paw issues persist.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Paw Balms, Waxes & Lotions
- Why does my dog need a paw balm or lotion? Dogs’ paw pads can become dry and cracked due to various environmental factors such as hot pavement, salt on icy roads, and rough terrain. Using a paw balm or lotion can help to soothe, heal, and protect your dog’s paws, making them more comfortable.
- Are all paw balms and lotions safe if my dog licks their paws? Most paw balms and lotions are designed to be safe for ingestion since dogs often lick their paws. However, it’s always crucial to check the product label and avoid products with harmful chemicals or artificial ingredients.
- How often should I apply a paw balm or lotion to my dog’s paws? The frequency of application can depend on the condition of your dog’s paws and the specific product’s instructions. Some balms might require daily application, while others might only need to be applied a few times a week.
- Can I use human lotion on my dog’s paws? Human lotions often contain ingredients that may be harmful if ingested by dogs. It’s best to use a product specifically formulated for dogs, which ensures it’s safe and effective for their unique needs.
- What should I do if my dog has an allergic reaction to a paw balm or lotion? If you notice any signs of an allergic reaction, such as redness, swelling, or excessive itching, stop using the product immediately and contact your vet for advice.
- How can I get my dog to stop licking the balm off their paws? Try distracting your dog with a toy or treat after applying the balm. You can also use a dog bootie or sock to prevent licking while the product absorbs.
- Can I use paw balm or lotion on my puppy? Yes, most paw balms and lotions are safe for puppies. However, always check the product label for age restrictions and consult with your vet if you’re unsure.
- Besides using paw balm, how else can I protect my dog’s paws? Regular paw checks for debris or injuries, avoiding extreme temperatures, and using dog boots when necessary can help protect your dog’s paws.
- Can paw balms or lotions help with fungal or bacterial infections? Some paw balms and lotions have antibacterial or antifungal properties. However, if your dog has a serious infection, it’s crucial to consult your vet for appropriate treatment.
- Can I use paw balm in the summer? Yes, paw balm can be beneficial in summer to protect against hot pavement and other rough surfaces. It can also provide a moisturizing effect for dry paws.
Conclusion: Best Dog Paw Balms, Waxes, & Lotions
The health of your dog’s paws is crucial to their overall well-being and comfort. Choosing a high-quality paw balm or lotion can make a significant difference, providing the care their paws need after long walks, during winter’s cold, or in summer’s heat. While we’ve listed some of the best products available, it’s essential to select one that meets your pet’s specific needs. With the right paw balm or lotion, you can ensure your dog’s paws remain healthy and resilient, letting them continue their adventures in comfort and joy.