iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
If your dog suffers from kidney or bladder problems, ease their discomfort with any of the choices on our list of the best urinary, kidney, and bladder supplements for dogs. Seeing your furry friend in distress can be upsetting, but with a bit of research and some guidance from your veterinarian, you can aid your darling dog and lessen their suffering by introducing supplements to their diet.
Although these urinary health supplements won’t cure disease, they can nourish your dog while helping their symptoms.
But choosing which supplement to give them can be a difficult decision. That’s why we’ve compiled this list of the best urinary, kidney, and bladder supplements for dogs to help them stay healthy. But before we get to the list, here are some factors to remember when browsing supplements for your dog.
What To Think About When Choosing the Best Urinary, Kidney, and Bladder Supplements For Dogs
Before just tossing some random supplements in your online cart, keep factors like sugar levels and fruit concentration in mind. Plus, consider whether you want the benefits of other minerals and vitamins included in your dog’s supplements. And don’t forget to think about allergies and sensitivities too.
Sugar Levels and Fruit Concentration
Cranberries are great for urinary health in dogs. But, they should always be given to dogs in minimal dosages due to their high sugar content. To avoid selecting a brand with a high sugar level, be sure to examine each brand’s sugar content.
Dog supplements for UTIs and other bladder and kidney issues often contain an added fruit concentrate to improve the taste. This makes your life easier as a better taste increases the likelihood your dog will wolf it down. But make sure there isn’t too much sugary fruit in your dog’s urinary supplements. Introducing sugary or new foods, even in small amounts, might upset your pup’s tummy or even trigger an allergy. Try and keep things as natural as possible, and don’t pick a supplement that’s more like candy than health food.
Additional Vitamins & Minerals
Some of the best urinary, kidney, & bladder supplements for dogs will concentrate their formulas on urinary health only, while others will include vitamins and minerals that can strengthen your dog’s immune system and improve other health aspects too. If your dog suffers from frequent or severe UTIs, look for multivitamins that also include a health blend for the kidney, bladder, and urinary systems.
If your dog is prone to side effects and reactions, consider this when shopping for supplements. Also, if you have a puppy or senior dog, don’t give them supplements or vitamins of any kind without first talking to their veterinarian.
Now, with these factors in mind, peruse our list of the best urinary, kidney, and bladder supplements for dogs and find the perfect fit for your pup!
The 10 Best Urinary, Kidney, & Bladder Supplements For Dogs
#1 – iHeartDogs Extra Strength Urinary, Bladder & Kidney Support for Dogs
iHeartDogs Extra Strength Urinary, Bladder & Kidney Support for Dogs is packed with natural immune support ingredients to help with frequent UTIs and strengthen weak bladders. Cranberry extract has long been recognized to help reduce urinary tract infections in both people as well as dogs and cats. And these soft chews contain 220 mg of cranberry extract per chew to provide your dog with a healthy dose of urinary system support. Another key ingredient, D-Mannose, helps flush harmful bacteria from the body, adding another line of defense against infections.
Plus, dogs love the chicken and cranberry taste of these yummy chews. You’ll love that they’re trusted by veterinarians and made in the USA with honest and safe ingredients. And at thirty-three cents per day, these urinary support chews are an inexpensive way to help your dog with the discomfort of constant infections and irritation.
All dogs – 1 chew daily
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and breeds
- Helps reduce urinary tract infections
- Fights harmful bacteria in the urinary system
- Affordable option
- Veterinarian formulated and trusted
- Made in the USA
- Yummy chicken and cranberry flavor
- You’ll have to convince your dog they aren’t treats!
#2 – Zesty Paws Cranberry for Dogs
Cran-Max®, a pure cranberry concentrate formulated with patented Bio-Shield technology for maximum digestive power, supports ideal urinary tract health and function while preserving typical bladder control and wellness. Additionally, a combination of whole marshmallow, D-mannose, organic astragalus, and stinging nettle operate in conjunction with Cran-Max® to provide your dog’s bladder and urinary tract even more comfort. Plus, you can choose from bacon or chicken flavors, so your picky pup won’t have an excuse for not gobbling down this yummy bladder supplement. Sign up with Zesty Paws to receive text and email and enjoy 20% off your order.
Administer daily following dosage instructions for the weight of your dog.
- Ideal kidney and urinary tract health supplement
- Made from high-quality ingredients
- Small bites are easy to chew
- Not all dogs care for chicken flavor
#3 – Nutri-Vet Bladder Control Supplement for Dogs
Nutri-Vet Bladder Control Chewable Tablets for Dogs use pumpkin seeds to help with incontinence and strengthen the bladder’s muscles. Rehmannia root helps with bladder tone and kidney health, while wild yams offer phytoestrogens and work to relax the muscles of the urinary system. Isoflavones, which are included in soy proteins, help dog bladder muscles keep their tone after spay surgery and once estrogen levels fall in the senior years. Vitamin C supports the health of the urinary system, and cranberry extract acidifies the urine.
These chemicals work together harmoniously to maintain the bladder membrane and promote bladder emptying. These liver-flavored chewable tablets are made in the USA from globally sourced ingredients.
One chewable tablet twice daily for every 25 lbs. of body weight.
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and breeds
- Made under veterinarian supervision
- Tasty liver flavor
- May be hard to chew for small dogs
#4 – VETRISCIENCE Renal Essentials Kidney Health and Function Support for Dogs
One of the best kidney supplements for dogs, Renal Essentials supports kidney health, normal liver function, homocysteine balance, normal fluid retention, stress management, immunological and antioxidant defense system activities, and renal circulation. Basically, it’s a multivitamin for normal kidney function.
Its powdered astragalus root promotes immunological health and renal circulation. Rehmannia, a Chinese herb referred to as the “kidney’s nourishment,” promotes healthy kidney and liver function. Vitamins B1 and B2 support the proper metabolism of proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates while providing an energy boost. And because these chewable tablets are plain in flavor, they’re a win for picky eaters.
- Give one pill daily for every 30 pounds of body weight.
- Give 1/2 a pill each day to dogs under 15 pounds.
- Essential vitamins and nutrients for kidney health
- Formulated by veterinarians
- Easy to chew
- Large tablets
#5 – Solid Gold Cranberry Supplement for Dogs
Solid Gold Supplements Berry Balance Urinary Tract Health Powder Dog & Cat Supplement is specially made for dogs prone to bladder infections and struvite crystals since it works to make the urine more acidic with cranberry and vitamin C. This product should only be used if your dog’s urine pH is excessively alkaline. Use this supplement in conjunction with Solid Gold’s Urine pH Test Strips to monitor alkalinity. These berry chews are always free of gluten and grain and never contain synthetic flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- For the first month, give twice daily with food at mealtime.
- After one month, reduce to once daily, three times a week.
- Large quantity at affordable price
- Soft and easy to chew
- Delicious flavor
- Requires twice daily use to start
#6 – Native Pet Bladder
Native Pet’s Bladder Air-Dried Chews contain only seven ingredients, including real chicken, 200 mg of cranberry extract and 75 mg of d-mannose, a beneficial sugar found in berries that flushed bacteria from the urinary tract. And unlike soft-dried chews, Native Pet’s air-dried chews are made with a proprietary method that helps to preserve nutrients so every tasty chew works hard to support optimal bladder functions, urinary health, and strong kidneys. And they’re always manufactured without flours, flavorings, or other additives and made in the USA.
Use daily as directed for your dog’s weight.
- Veterinarian-developed formula
- Whole, real ingredients
- No flour, starches, grains, gluten, artificial ingredients, or fillers
- Highly effective for elimination of bacteria and infections
- Chews have a strong odor
#7 – Essential Pet for Normal Bladder & Urinary Tract Health in Dogs
Strengthen and advance the health of your beloved buddy with Essential Pet Bladder Support. It’s a potent blend of herbs and isoflavonoids that aid adult dogs with bladder wall strengthening and bladder emptying. Pumpkin seed powder, Rehmannia root, saw palmetto extract, cranberry, and wild yam extract naturally support your dog’s overall urinary tract health with a tasty liver flavor.
Talk to your vet before giving them to pregnant or nursing dogs. And if your pup’s symptoms don’t improve with use, call the vet. If your dog is prone to tummy upset, feed them a tablet after a meal.
Take one chewable twice a day for every 25 pounds of body weight.
- Tasty liver flavor
- Made with high-quality ingredients in an FDA-registered facility
- Small tablets are easy to chew
- For adult dogs only
#8 – Nutramax Crananidin Urinary Tract Health Supplement for Dogs
A part of Nutramax Laboratories, veterinarian-formulated Crananidin for dogs will keep your pup comfortable and free-flowing when it comes to urinary health thanks to a formula rich in Proanthocyanidins (PACs), substances found in cranberry extract known to improve urinary tract health. Plus, one vet who used the product for her own cat reports cranberry extract helps animals avoid E.Coli infections as it keeps the bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall. These delicious cranberry tablets also aid in maintaining healthy joints and encourage the synthesis of cartilage matrix. And easy-to-chew tablets make dosing a snap.
Dose amount depends on the weight of your dog:
- 10lbs – less than 1/4 pill
- 10-19lbs – 1/2 tablet
- 20-39lbs – 1 pill
- Between 40 and 59 pounds – 1 1/2 tablets
- 60-79lbs – 2 tablets
- 80-100lbs – 2 1/2 tablets
- Large 75 tablet quantity available
- Suitable for all ages and breeds
- Provides ultimate comfort and relief
- A bit on the pricey side
#9 – K-Plus Potassium Citrate Plus Cranberry Supplement for Dogs
Cranberry extract and potassium citrate combine to create regular kidney function and excellent urine health. Potassium citrate supports kidney cleansing and healthy waste disposal while promoting urine’s mineral balance. Additionally, it aids in preserving a regular pH, which may lessen the possibility of crystal and stone formation. And cranberry extract for normal bladder function and wellness rounds out this veterinarian-formulated UTI supplement for dogs.
Available in Tablets, Granules, and Gel options, K-Plus Potassium Citrate Plus Cranberry Supplement for Dogs is manufactured in the USA with globally sourced ingredients and is perfect for dogs of any breed.
Administer one pill per 20 lb (9 kg) of body weight every 12 hours.
- Reduces crystal and stone formation in dogs
- Meets NASC quality standards
- Available in multiple dosing forms
- Tablets are large for small dogs
#10 – Mighty Petz MAX Cranberry for Dog UTI Treatment
MAX Cranberry Chews support your dog’s urinary system, improve renal function and preserve bladder health and hygiene by offering more active ingredients in each soft chew. Their sophisticated composition is enriched with natural cranberry seed oil, d-mannose, and grapefruit seed extract to encourage appropriate urinary tract detoxification and maintain normal urine pH. And added probiotics help these cheesy chews supply beneficial bacteria to your dog’s urinary system and help maintain healthy urine flow, which may lessen the risk of stone formation and UTIs.
- 0-30 Lbs: 1 soft chew daily
- 30-60 Lbs: 1/2 soft chew daily
- 60-90 Lbs: 1 daily
- Above 90 Lbs: 1 1/2 daily
- Easy to chew
- Formulated to achieve maximum urinary tract health
- Works effectively on dog breeds of all ages
- Picky eaters may not enjoy the taste
#11 – Dog UTI Prevention
To keep your pet happy and comfortable, Deley Naturals Advanced Urinary Tract Supplement for Dogs aids in preventing urinary tract infections in dogs before they develop. Their formula also strengthens the immune system, shields the skin, and promotes digestive function in dogs to help maintain their general health. And these mouthwatering chicken flavor chews also help correct urine pH levels to safeguard the bladder and kidneys.
Guaranteed free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, sugar, salt, and gumming agents, you can rest easy knowing your dog is receiving only the finest ingredients with this USA-made supplement for canine urinary health.
To introduce your dog to this product, start with one chew at mealtime, working up to the individual doses based on your dog’s weight.
- Effective in supporting urinary tract function
- Also provides immune support
- Manufactured with only natural ingredients
- Some dogs don’t enjoy the taste
Supplements to prevent urinary tract infections and other kidney and bladder problems in dogs are a great help when your pup is suffering. Adding a supplement to their daily routine may bring much-needed relief for dogs who have struggled with urinary issues for years, even with veterinary help. And while any choice from this list of best urinary, bladder, and kidney supplements for dogs will provide extraordinary support for urinary tract issues, every product has a unique set of benefits and drawbacks that should be considered when choosing the right one for your pup. But hopefully, we’ve made the choice a little easier with our list.
What Are Some Ingredients or Foods That Can Help My Dog’s Urinary Tract?
Maintaining a dog’s urinary and kidney health often revolves around providing them with a diet that encourages regular hydration, reduces inflammation, and lowers the risk of forming urinary crystals or stones. Here are some foods and nutrients that can help:
- Water: This might seem obvious, but ensuring your dog stays well-hydrated is crucial for urinary tract and kidney health. Water helps dilute the urine, reducing the concentration of substances that could form crystals or stones, and supports the kidneys in flushing out toxins.
- Wet Food: If your dog doesn’t drink a lot of water, wet food can be a good source of extra hydration.
- Cranberries or Blueberries: These fruits contain antioxidants and are believed to help reduce the occurrence of urinary tract infections. However, they should be given in moderation and preferably in a form that does not contain added sugars.
- Lean Proteins: Foods like chicken, turkey, and fish can provide necessary protein while being easier on the kidneys than richer, fattier meats.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Found in fish and flaxseeds, omega-3s can help reduce inflammation throughout the body, including the urinary tract.
- Probiotics: These beneficial bacteria can help maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in the urinary tract, reducing the risk of urinary tract infections. They can be found in certain types of yogurt or as a supplement.
- Vegetables: Vegetables like bell peppers, cabbage, and zucchini are low in phosphorus and high in antioxidants, which can help support kidney health.
- Cucumbers and Watermelon: These hydrating foods can help increase your dog’s water intake.
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin is often used as a home remedy for minor urinary issues due to its high water and fiber content.
- Low-Phosphorus Foods: If your dog has kidney disease, limiting phosphorus intake can help slow the progression of the disease. Most fruits and vegetables, and some types of lean meat, are lower in phosphorus than high-protein, high-phosphorus foods like dairy, beans, and darker meats.
Always remember to consult with a veterinarian before making any major changes to your dog’s diet, especially if your dog has a history of urinary or kidney issues. Certain conditions may require specific dietary changes or restrictions, which should be discussed with your vet.
Dog Product Reviews
- Best Dog Foods
- Best Fresh Dog Foods
- Best Raw Dog Foods
- Best Online Dog Training Classes
- Best Fish Oil for Dogs
- Best Multivitamins for Dogs
- Best Invisible E-Fences for Dogs
- Best Grooming Tools for Dogs
- Best Beds for Senior Dogs
- Best Dog Toys
- Best GPS & Tracking Collars
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best No-Pull Dog Harnesses
- Best Pet Safe Weed Killers