Looking for the best joint supplements for dogs? If your pup is slowing down and their joints are feeling their years, it’s time to research the best hip & joint supplements for dogs that reduce inflammation and treat arthritis or stiff joints. But hip and joint supplements aren’t just for senior dogs.
Younger canines can also benefit from joint supplements after injury or if you want to help keep up their mobility for healthy aging. Before you give your dog any new supplements, though, always discuss them with your veterinarian first.
iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Maintaining lean body weight and encouraging regular exercise is vital to keeping joints healthy. But nutritional supplements can also increase joint comfort and protect cartilage, the cushioning in the joints that prevents bone from rubbing against bone when your dog moves.
Protecting your dog’s joints with the right supplement is an ongoing, daily commitment that will help ensure a good quality of life. So which supplement will best fit your dog’s needs? We’ve got the information you need to make an informed decision, as well as our top picks for the best hip & joint supplement for dogs to help you find the perfect choice for your pup.
Buying Guides: Factors to Consider When Buying Joint Supplements for Dogs
If you’re giving a supplement to your dog for the first time, it’s essential to consider these factors. Each product has a formula that combines specific ingredients to support joint health. Below, we discuss what to look for before deciding on the best joint supplement for your dog.
The main thing to consider before deciding on the right hip & joint supplement for your dog is the form of supplement you choose. Some supplements may come in capsules, others may be tablets, while other delivery methods are more treat-like to lure your dog into chomping them down. Some dogs are very picky and don’t want to take their supplements. If you have to be sneaky about it, choose a flavored option that mixes easily with your pup’s favorite foods.
Many products use glucosamine and chondroitin but look for those that contain scientifically proven levels of essential ingredients to have the best chance at relieving joint pain and maintaining healthy joints. Also, check active ingredient levels to be sure your dog is receiving enough to make a difference. As a general rule, dogs should receive 20 milligrams of glucosamine daily for each pound they weigh.
Follow the dosage instructions provided on the supplemental package. Some supplements allow you to start your dog at a higher dose and reduce it. But if you’re unsure what dosage your dog needs, ask your veterinarian.
Taste and Smell
Most dogs will have no problem wolfing down supplements formed into a treat or chew. Other supplements may be in a pill form that you must administer. Pill-storage treats or soft foods your dog enjoys, such as cheese or peanut butter, can help mask the taste and smell of pill-form supplements.
FAQs Related to Joint Supplements for Dogs
Q1 – Do joint supplements for dogs work?
Yes, joint supplements help lubricate joints, rebuild cartilage, and support the structural integrity of joints. They also work as anti-inflammatories and deliver antioxidants to reduce pain and discomfort.
Q2 – When should you start joint supplements for dogs?
The sooner, the better. You can start joint supplements a year after your dog’s birth when they reach full skeletal growth. Large or extra-large breed dogs are prone to developing painful joint conditions. It’s always best to start joint supplements as a preventative measure rather than reacting to a condition your dog has already developed.
Q3 – How do I choose a joint supplement for my dog?
The best hip and joint supplements for dogs are ones you can easily give your best friend while delivering enough active ingredients to support their joints. Choose joint health supplements containing ingredients like glucosamine, chondroitin, methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), and Omega-3 fatty acids to give your dog the most benefits. Most often, a joint supplement will contain several of these ingredients simultaneously.
Q4 – Can glucosamine cause liver damage in dogs?
Be very careful when giving glucosamine to a dog with liver or kidney problems, as even low doses can cause kidney damage and liver failure in dogs with these problems. This is one reason why it’s always important to check with your veterinarian before giving your dog a new supplement.
Our Top Picks for the Best Joint Supplement for Dogs
- iHeartDogs Advanced 8-in-1 Hip & Joint Chews for Mobility
- Pet Honesty Senior Hemp Mobility
- VetIQ Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs
- iHeartDogs Bone Broth For Dogs Immune Support Powder
- Cannanine™ Bacon Flavored Broad Spectrum Hemp Soft Chews
- Nutramax Dasuquin Soft Chews
- GlycoFlex Everyday, Daily Hip, and Joint Supplement
- Cannanine™Advanced 9-in-1 Hip & Joint Chews
- Vet’s Best Aches + Pains Dog Supplement
- The Missing Link Hip & Joint Probiotics
The 10 Best Joint Supplements for Dogs
#1 – iHeartDogs Advanced 8-in-1 Hip & Joint Chews for Mobility
iHeartDogs Advanced 8-in-1 Hip & Joint Chews offer a unique blend of eight natural and powerful active ingredients that work together to promote healthier joints, less pain, and more activity. It’s all the benefits of glucosamine, green-lipped mussel, turmeric, and chondroitin captured in one tasty chew your dog will love. The addition of power plants Boswellia Serrata and Yucca Schidigera also helps pups find their easy and fluid stride once again! These joint chews are formulated by vets and made in the USA.
- Eight powerful active ingredients
- Reduces painful inflammation
- Slows cartilage breakdown
- Improves mobility and flexibility
- Includes glucosamine and MSM
- Veterinarian-formulated for effectiveness
- Each bag purchased provides 14 healthy meals to shelter dogs
- Appropriate for dogs of all sizes
- Tasty soft chews from a trusted brand
- Highly palatable; even picky eaters approve
- Save 5% when you opt for auto-ship
- Made in the USA
- Reviewers mention the strong smell
#2 – Pet Honesty Senior Hemp Mobility
PetHonesty Senior Hemp Mobility chews contain natural ingredients like glucosamine HCL, turmeric, green-lipped mussel, organic hemp oil, and a premium collagen form that work together to target inflammation and help improve your senior dog’s mobility. Choose from one of three tasty flavors and know your pup will also receive a healthy dose of veggies that includes carrots, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes when they gobble down one of these soft chews. You can also trust PetHonesty’s Hemp oil and powder contains zero THC but packs a load of Omegas 3, 6, and 9 to help improve joint function.
- NO harsh preservatives, harmful steroids, or GMOs
- Formulated without corn, wheat, or soy
- Designed to relieve joint discomfort and stiffness, support cartilage growth, and more
- Supports healthy inflammatory response
- Delicious chicken, bacon, or duck flavor options
- Also contains a mix of nutritious vegetables
- Helps reduce joint pain
- Includes powerful natural ingredients
- Nothing fake, and no corn, wheat, or soy
- Three delicious flavors
- Available in two sizes – 90 or 180-count
- Made in the USA
- Packaging may lead to product drying out
#3 – VetIQ Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs
VetIQ Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs makes our list not only for their efficacy but also for their affordability. This chewable dog joint supplement contains glucosamine and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) to support cartilage and healthy connective tissue. They’re also a good source of hyaluronic acid and omega-3 fatty acids with DHA and EPA. These budget-friendly joint chews are made in the USA with high-quality ingredients such as krill and fish oil. And the delicious chicken flavor is a win for dogs.
- Good source of hyaluronic acid and omega-3 fatty acids
- Triple-action supplement formulated for healthy cartilage, joints, and muscle
- Made with all-natural ingredients and real chicken flavor
- Supports hip and joint mobility in a tasty treat form
- Great value
- Provides vital omega-3s DHA and EPA
- Dogs love the flavor
- Veterinarian recommended
- Available in large 180-count pack
- Made in the USA
- Not for dogs with chewing difficulties
#4 – iHeartDogs Bone Broth For Dogs Immune Support Powder
iHeartDogs Bone Broth For Dogs Immune Support Powder is a nutritious, flavorful broth that can be mixed with your pup’s dinner or consumed alone as a warm soupy treat. This easy-to-serve powder is made with organic chicken bone broth and nutrient-rich mushrooms to support immune health and strong joints. Included in the mushroom blend, you’ll find organic Chaga mushrooms, known to be a potent anti-inflammatory that can aid in relieving arthritis. It’s great for seniors and can encourage dogs with food boredom to relish dinnertime again.
- Nutritious support for the immune system and joints
- Supports heart and gut health too
- Loaded with healthy ingredients from trusted sources
- Includes six different types of mushrooms
- Great boost for senior dogs
- Boosts the immune system and joint health
- Promotes collagen growth
- Easy to use; serve dry or wet
- Highly affordable, only $0.33 per day
- Veterinarian approved
- Made in the USA
- Picky eaters may take time to appreciate the mushroom flavor
#5 – Cannanine™ Bacon Flavored Broad Spectrum Hemp Soft Chews
Cannanine™ Bacon Flavor Hemp Chews with whole hemp plant Hemp oil for fogs offer unparalleled botanical support for the endocannabinoid system. These bacon-flavored Hemp chews for dogs are made from hemp and contain zero THC. Give your dog one of these yummy chews to reduce inflammation and pain while increasing mobility. They’re a great way to help restore your furry friend’s hips to their youthful vigor or even help them maintain strong joints as they age.
- Third-party testing for purity
- Helps skin, coat, and digestion, as well as joints
- Easy dosing; just toss your pup a chew
- Contains zero percent THC
- Every jar purchased provides 7 meals for shelter pets
- Organically grown hemp from Colorado family farms
- Vet formulated
- Delicious bacon flavor
- Also helps with anxiety and allergies
- Trusted by more than 100k dogs and their parents
- Made in the USA
- A bit expensive, but you’re paying for premium-quality Hemp
#6 – Nutramax Dasuquin Soft Chews
Nutramax Dasuquin Soft Chews are formulated and recommended by veterinarians. They’re packed with glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and delicious ingredients like avocado oils and green tea extract to promote cartilage growth and inhibit cartilage breakdown while providing a rich dose of antioxidants. They’re available in 84 or 150-count packages and are formulated with large dogs in mind.
- Developed and recommended by veterinarians
- Supports cartilage structure and function
- Premium ingredients for optimal dog joint health
- Includes decaffeinated green tea for an antioxidant boost
- Formulated for large dogs
- Made in the USA
- Tasty soft chew
- High-quality ingredients
- Premium price
- Chews can dry out quickly without proper storage
#7 – GlycoFlex Everyday, Daily Hip, and Joint Supplement
Vetriscience GlycoFlex Everyday chews provide joint support while keeping within your budget. As one of the best hip and joint supplements for dogs, this economical choice is excellent for dogs of all ages who need additional nutrients to help strengthen and maintain hip, joint, and soft tissue health. In addition to glucosamine, these soft chews also include green-lipped mussels, which are packed with nutrients necessary to maintain healthy connective tissue, rebuild healthy cartilage, and support normal joint function. They can be given to dogs daily and are available in a 60-count pack.
- Contains glucosamine and green-lipped mussel
- Developed and recommended by veterinarians
- Nutrient-rich to support joint health
- Made for dogs of all ages
- Delicious chicken liver-flavored chew
- Trusted and recommended by vets
- Manufactured in the USA
- Hard to chew
- Can dry out easily
#8 – Cannanine™Advanced 9-in-1 Hip & Joint Chews
Cannanine™Advanced 9-in-1 Hip & Joint Chews contains chondroitin, curcumin, organic turmeric, MSM, and omega-3 to support mobility and provide arthritis relief. All natural anti-inflammatory properties target joint pain in dogs suffering from hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other painful joint issues. These tasty chews are formulated to improve cartilage function for dogs, contain Hemp, and provide your pup with a source of stearidonic acid (SDA), a precursor to the long-chain fatty acids that deliver healthy benefits to the body. These are included in the formula to support your dog’s immune function. If you’re familiar with iHeartDogs 8-in-1 Mobility Chews, you notice these have the same ingredients as iHD 8-in-1 Mobility chews but with a boost of broad-spectrum Hemp.
- Tasty soft chew your dog will eat like a treat
- Includes powerful broad-spectrum hemp extract
- Rebuild cartilage and help restore your dog’s joint function.
- Supports immune health
- Formulated specifically for senior dogs
- Each bag purchased provides 14 healthy meals to shelter dogs
- Contains glucosamine and green-lipped mussels
- Helps skin, coat, and digestion
- Vet formulated
- Hemp extract is 3rd party tested up to 4 times
- Made in the USA
- On the higher end of the price scale due to the inclusion of premium Hemp
#9 – Vet’s Best Aches + Pains Dog Supplement
Vet’s Best Aches + Pains Supplement provides your pup with relief from occasional discomfort caused by regular exercise and normal daily activity. Made with plant-based ingredients such as glucosamine HCL, pineapple bromelain, MSM, and white willow bark, this joint supplement was formulated by veterinarians to help with your dog’s sore and stiff joints and muscles. And because they’re chewable and tasty, your dog will chomp them right down.
- Provides plant-based ingredients that ease soreness and stiffness
- Packed with glucosamine and MSM
- Tasty and chewable, your pup will think they’re treats
- Highly-rated on Amazon
- Yummy taste
- Ideal for senior dogs
- Great for pain relief
- Quality, natural anti-inflammatory
- Causes gas in some dogs, according to reviewers
#10 – The Missing Link Hip & Joint Probiotics
Missing Link Ultimate Canine Hip & Joint Formula is a powder supplement that can be sprinkled onto your dog’s food. Each dose contains 400 mg of glucosamine and ingredients such as ground flaxseed and freeze-dried beef liver. It’s a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and contains ingredients that help support heart health. Available in two-pack sizes. All ingredients are sourced in the USA and Canada. This product is veterinarian formulated to support a healthy inflammatory response in your dog’s joints, relieve uncomfortable stiffness after daily exercise, and increase joint fluid viscosity.
- Produced using cold-process technology for maximum nutritional value
- Contains a special blend of probiotics to help boost absorption
- Veterinarian-formulated powder designed especially for your canine comrade
- Easy to dose
- Good source of omega fatty acids
- Two package sizes available
- Ingredients are sourced in the US and Canada
- Veterinarian formulated
- Picky eaters may turn up their nose
- on the expensive side
Be proactive and give your dog a joint supplement that helps to lubricate and reduce inflammation so your furry bestie can enjoy greater mobility and resiliency. And if your pup is already getting on in years and their joints are creaking, get them on a joint supplement for dogs right away! Study our list and choose the perfect option for your dog. But don’t forget to ask the vet for recommendations and dosage instructions.
What Ingredients Should I Look for in a Canine Joint Supplement?
When it comes to selecting a joint supplement for your dog, it’s essential to understand that no one ingredient is a magic bullet. Instead, you want a supplement that offers a variety of beneficial ingredients that work together to promote joint health and alleviate pain or inflammation. Here are ten ingredients that can be beneficial in a dog joint supplement:
- Glucosamine: This is an amino sugar that’s naturally present in the fluid around joints. It can help replenish and restore cartilage, improve joint health, and reduce discomfort.
- Chondroitin Sulfate: This substance works with glucosamine and is naturally found in cartilage. It can help maintain fluid and flexibility in the joints.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): MSM can help reduce inflammation and pain. It also provides sulfur, which is essential for the health and repair of joints and connective tissues.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: These fatty acids, particularly those found in fish oil, can help reduce inflammation. They are also beneficial for a dog’s skin, coat, and overall health.
- Hyaluronic Acid: This substance is naturally found in the joint fluid and aids in lubricating joints and maintaining their proper function.
- CBD/Broad Spectrum Hemp: CBD (cannabidiol) and other non-psychoactive compounds from the cannabis plant can help reduce inflammation and pain associated with joint issues. They are often included in broad spectrum hemp extract.
- Green Lipped Mussel: This natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin also provides omega-3 fatty acids and can help reduce inflammation.
- Turmeric/Curcumin: Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It’s been used for centuries in human and animal health for these benefits.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin helps produce collagen, a protein that helps maintain the health of the cartilage, tendons, and ligaments in the joints.
- Vitamin E: This antioxidant vitamin can help reduce inflammation and pain in the joints.
Remember, every dog is unique, so what works best for one might not work as well for another. Also, it’s essential to consult with your vet before starting any new supplement regimen, as some ingredients may interact with other medications or medical conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions When Shopping for Joint Supplements for Dogs
Here are 20 frequently asked questions about purchasing joint supplements for dogs with brief answers:
What ingredients should I look for in a joint supplement for my dog?
Look for glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, and omega-3 fatty acids, which help rebuild cartilage and improve joint mobility.
Is a joint supplement necessary for my dog?
Joint supplements can help dogs with arthritis or joint problems by reducing inflammation, rebuilding cartilage, and improving mobility. Consult your vet to see if a supplement could benefit your dog.
How much joint supplement should I give my dog per day?
Follow the dosage recommendations on the product label, which are typically based on your dog’s weight. Check with your vet on the ideal dosage for your specific dog.
When should I give my dog a joint supplement?
Joint supplements are given daily, often with food to aid absorption. Establishing a routine time each day makes it easier to remember.
How long does it take for joint supplements to work in dogs?
You may see minor improvements within a few weeks, but the full benefits often take 2-3 months of daily use. Give the supplement time to build up in your dog’s system.
Can I give my dog human joint supplements?
No, do not give your dog supplements formulated for humans, as the ingredients and dosages can be unsafe. Only give pet-specific joint supplements.
What signs indicate my dog needs a joint supplement?
Difficulty getting up, limping, lack of interest in walks or play, reluctance to jump up or go up stairs, and crying out in pain are signs of joint problems that may benefit from supplements.
Are there side effects to joint supplements for dogs?
Joint supplements are generally very safe, with minimal risks of side effects like gastrointestinal upset. Still, consult your vet before starting any new supplement.
Is it safe to give my dog joint supplements with other medications?
Discuss any new supplements with your vet to ensure they do not interact with your dog’s medications, particularly NSAIDs and steroids which also impact joints.
Does my dog need to take joint supplements forever once started?
Your vet may recommend continuing joint supplements long-term if your dog has chronic joint problems or arthritis to maintain the benefits.
Can I alternate between several different joint supplements for my dog?
Pick one joint supplement and stick with it, as ingredients vary between products. Switching often makes it difficult to gauge effectiveness.
Are liquid or chewable joint supplements better for dogs?
Choose the form your dog will tolerate best. Liquids or chews can be easier to administer but may be more expensive. Tablets work if your dog will swallow them.
Should I give joint supplements to my young dog as a preventative?
Healthy young dogs generally do not need joint supplements unless they have a predisposition to joint disorders or orthopedic conditions.
Are prescription joint supplements better than over-the-counter?
Not necessarily. Many quality over-the-counter brands have similar ingredients and potency to prescription formulas. Your vet can advise which works best.
How long will one container of joint supplements last my dog?
Depends on the product, your dog’s size, and dosage. Larger dogs take more per day, so consult the label and do the math to determine how long a bottle will last.
Are cheaper joint supplements less effective for dogs?
Not always. As with any supplement, compare active ingredients on the label rather than just price when choosing a quality product that fits your budget.
Should I look for organic or natural joint supplements for my dog?
This is a personal choice. There is little evidence that organic or natural joint supplements are more effective than quality standard brands.
Can I give human glucosamine/chondroitin pills to my dog?
No, do not substitute human products. While these ingredients are often the same, the potency and ratios are tailored in pet supplements to be safe for dogs.
Are there any risks or dangers of joint supplements I should be aware of?
Joint supplements are very safe for most dogs, but some minor risks include allergic reactions, interactions with other meds, and gastrointestinal effects like vomiting or diarrhea.
Can joint supplements cure arthritis in dogs?
Joint supplements can improve joint health and mobility, but they do not reverse permanent joint damage from arthritis. Managing weight and diet are also key for arthritic dogs.
Dog Product Reviews
- Best Dog Foods
- Best Fresh Dog Foods
- Best Freeze Dried Dog Foods
- Best Raw Dog Foods
- Best Online Dog Training Classes
- Best Fish Oil for Dogs
- Best Multivitamins for Dogs
- Best Invisible E-Fences for Dogs
- Best Grooming Tools for Dogs
- Best Beds for Senior Dogs
- Best Dog Toys
- Best GPS & Tracking Collars
- Best Dog Grooming Clippers
- Best No-Pull Dog Harnesses
- Best Pet Safe Weed Killers