iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Soft dog treats have long been a favorite among pet owners and their canine companions. Their tender texture, often combined with a delectable taste, not only makes them ideal for training and positive reinforcement but also caters to dogs with dental issues or those who simply prefer a gentler bite. Delving into the world of soft dog treats, it’s essential to discern which options are not only tasty but also nutritious, ensuring our furry friends receive the best in both flavor and health.
#1 – Blue Dog Bakery Natural Dog Treats, Softies, Peanut Butter Flavor, 16.2oz Bag, 1 Bag
Blue Dog Bakery Natural Dog Treats, Softies, Peanut Butter Flavor is a 16.2oz bag of soft-baked dog treats. These treats have a soft outside and a real peanut butter filling. They are easy to chew and digest, making them suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes. Blue Dog Bakery prides itself on using natural and healthy ingredients, with no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or animal by-products. These treats are made in the USA with ingredients sourced from American farms and are a healthy alternative for dog owners looking for natural and premium options.
#2 – Zuke’s Mini Naturals Soft Dog Treats for Training, Soft, and Chewy Dog Training Treats with Chicken Recipe
Zuke’s Mini Naturals Soft Dog Treats are a healthy option for training your dog, with only 2 calories per treat. Made with real chicken as the first ingredient, these soft and chewy treats are suitable for dogs of all sizes. They are crafted in the USA with natural ingredients like chicken and cherries and are free of corn, wheat, and soy. The resealable pouch makes them convenient for dog owners on the go.
#3 – Shameless Pets Lobster Rollover Soft-Baked Biscuit, 6 OZ
The Shameless Pets Lobster Rollover Soft-Baked Biscuit is a healthy treat option for dogs at any stage of life. Made with wholesome ingredients including real lobster and kelp, these grain, corn, and soy-free biscuits are packed with glucosamine for hip and joint support. Additionally, these treats are made with upcycled superfoods, reducing food waste and saving valuable resources. Proudly made in the USA using sustainable practices, these treats aim to provide dogs with the nutrition they need while keeping them happy and healthy.
#4 – Full Moon USDA Organic Chicken Training Treats Healthy All Natural Dog Treats Human Grade 175 Treats
Full Moon USDA Organic Chicken Training Treats are a healthy and all-natural option for dog owners looking to reward their pets during training. These treats are made with human-grade ingredients, meeting strict USDA standards. The treats are made from organic cage-free chicken raised in the USA and are free from fillers, artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors. They are also low in calories, making them a guilt-free choice for treating your furry friend.
#5 – Buddy Biscuits Grain Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats, Small Dog or Large Dogs Training, Healthy Roasted Chicken 5 oz.
Buddy Biscuits Grain Free Soft & Chewy Dog Treats are a type of dog treat made with natural roasted chicken. They are free of common allergens like wheat, corn, and soy, as well as artificial flavors and colors. The treats are oven baked in the USA and are grain free with no added gluten. They are also minimally processed, using only simple ingredients.
#6 – Wellness Soft Puppy Bites Natural Grain-Free Treats for Training, Dog Treats with Real Meat and DHA, No Artificial Flavors (Lamb & Salmon, 8-Ounce Bag)
The Wellness Soft Puppy Bites Natural Grain-Free Treats are bite-sized, soft puppy training treats that can be used as a reward during training sessions or as a thank-you for good behavior. These treats are made with real meat, specifically lamb and salmon, and also contain DHA, a natural source that supports healthy brain development in puppies. The treats are all-natural and do not contain any artificial flavors, wheat, corn, soy, or preservatives, making them a nutritious option for puppies of all sizes and activity levels.
#7 – Smart Cookie All Natural Dog Treats – Duck & Squash – Training Treats for Dogs with Allergies or Sensitive Stomachs – Soft Dog Treats, Grain Free Dog Treats, Chewy, Human-Grade, Made in USA – 5oz Bag
The Smart Cookie All Natural Dog Treats in Duck & Squash flavor are designed specifically for dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs. Made with human-grade ingredients from the Great Lakes region, these chewy treats are a healthy and tasty reward for your furry friend. With limited and pronounceable ingredients, these grain-free treats are suitable for all dogs and can be used as a training treat or food topper without ruining their diet. Made in the USA with real, high-quality meats and no fillers, these treats are a wholesome option for your canine companion.
#8 – Hill’s Grain Free Dog Treats, Soft-Baked Naturals with Chicken & Carrots, Healthy Dog Snacks, 8 oz. Bag
Hill’s Grain Free Dog Treats, Soft-Baked Naturals with Chicken & Carrots, are a popular choice among dog owners who prioritize natural ingredients. Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients, these treats are free from artificial preservatives or flavors. They can be used as training treats or as a supplement to a dog’s regular dry or wet food. Hill’s ensures customer satisfaction with a 100% guarantee, allowing for a full refund or replacement if unsatisfied for any reason.
#9 – Cloud Star Corp, Wag More Bark Less Soft & Chewy Grain Free Peanut Butter & Apples Dog Treats
The Cloud Star Corp Wag More Bark Less Soft & Chewy Grain Free Peanut Butter & Apples Dog Treats are a natural and wholesome option for dog owners looking to provide their pets with a tasty snack. These treats are made with natural peanut butter and apples and are free of wheat, corn, soy, artificial flavors, and colors. They are oven baked in the USA and are grain-free, with no added gluten. Additionally, these treats are minimally processed and only contain simple ingredients.
#10 – Blue Buffalo Sizzlers Natural Bacon-Style Soft-Moist Dog Treats, Original Pork 6-oz Bag
Blue Buffalo Sizzlers Natural Bacon-Style Soft-Moist Dog Treats are made with real USA pork as the main ingredient, making them an irresistible treat for dogs. These treats have a soft-moist texture that dogs love, similar to real bacon. They are made with wholesome ingredients and do not include any chicken or poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives, or colors. Each bag contains 6 ounces of these healthy and delicious treats for dogs.
#11 – Blue Buffalo BLUE Bits Natural Soft-Moist Training Dog Treats, Beef Recipe 19-oz Bag
The Blue Buffalo BLUE Bits Natural Soft-Moist Training Dog Treats are made with real beef as the first ingredient, making them a delicious and ideal reward for dogs during training sessions. These bite-sized morsels are perfect for small, medium, or large dogs that enjoy meaty treats. The treats are made with wholesome ingredients, free from chicken by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives, and colors.
What Should I Consider When Choosing a Soft Dog Treat?
- Ingredients: Always check the ingredient list first. Opt for treats made with whole-food ingredients, and be wary of treats loaded with artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. The fewer and more recognizable the ingredients, the better.
- Nutritional Value: A treat should not just be tasty, but also offer some nutritional benefits. Look for treats with good protein sources, healthy fats, and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Caloric Content: Especially for dogs prone to weight gain, it’s important to consider the caloric content. Treats should only make up a small portion of a dog’s daily caloric intake, so choose and portion them accordingly.
- Size and Texture: Ensure the size and texture are appropriate for your dog. Smaller breeds might need tinier treats, while older dogs or those with dental issues might require especially soft treats.
- Purpose: Are these training treats or just occasional snacks? Training treats are typically smaller and are meant to be given frequently, whereas snacks might be larger and given less often.
- Dietary Needs and Allergies: If your dog has specific dietary restrictions or allergies, it’s crucial to choose treats that align with these needs. There are grain-free, limited-ingredient, and hypoallergenic treats available for dogs with sensitivities.
- Origin and Brand Reputation: It’s advisable to choose treats from reputable brands and be aware of where they’re produced. Some regions might have more stringent quality controls and safety regulations than others.
- Freshness and Preservation: Check the expiration date and understand the preservation methods used. Natural preservatives like tocopherols (Vitamin E) or ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) are preferable.
- Taste and Palatability: While it’s essential for a treat to be nutritious, it should also be palatable. If your dog doesn’t like the treat, it doesn’t serve its purpose. However, palatability can vary among individual dogs.
- Price and Availability: While you shouldn’t skimp on quality for the price, it’s also essential to choose treats that fit within your budget and are readily available, whether in local stores or online.
Frequently Asked Questions About Soft Dog Treats
- Why choose soft dog treats over hard ones? Soft dog treats are ideal for puppies, senior dogs with dental issues, or any dog that prefers a gentler texture. They’re also perfect for training due to their palatability and quick consumption, allowing for immediate positive reinforcement.
- Are soft dog treats suitable for all dog breeds and ages? While soft dog treats can be suitable for most breeds and ages, it’s essential to select the appropriate size and formulation. Puppies might need softer and smaller treats, while large breeds could require bigger portions to prevent choking hazards.
- Do soft dog treats expire faster than hard treats? Generally, soft dog treats have a higher moisture content, which can lead to a shorter shelf life compared to dry, hard treats. Always check the expiration date and store them as recommended to ensure freshness.
- Can soft dog treats help with training? Absolutely! Their palatable nature often makes them a favorite among dogs, making soft treats particularly effective as rewards during training sessions.
- Are there grain-free soft dog treat options? Yes, many brands offer grain-free soft dog treats for dogs with grain sensitivities or allergies. It’s always essential to read the ingredient list to ensure they meet your dog’s dietary needs.
- How often should I give my dog soft treats? Treats should be an occasional reward and not a main dietary staple. Ensure that treats don’t exceed 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake to maintain a balanced diet.
- What should I do if my dog has a sensitive stomach? For dogs with sensitive stomachs, choose soft treats with limited ingredients, free from common allergens, and avoid artificial additives. Introduce any new treat slowly to monitor for any adverse reactions.
- Can soft dog treats improve dental health? While some soft treats might advertise dental benefits, they typically don’t provide the same abrasive action as hard, crunchy treats or dental chews. If dental health is a concern, consider integrating other dental care methods.
- Are there organic or natural soft dog treats? Yes, many brands now offer organic or all-natural soft dog treats. These often prioritize high-quality, non-GMO ingredients without artificial additives, catering to health-conscious pet owners.
- Do soft dog treats contain artificial preservatives? While some might, many high-quality soft dog treats focus on natural preservation methods or ingredients. Always check the label to under.
Conclusion: Best Soft Dog Treats
In the vast landscape of canine treats, soft dog treats stand out for their palatability and versatility. However, as responsible pet owners, our choices should always prioritize our pets’ health. By seeking out treats made with quality ingredients, devoid of harmful additives, and tailored to our dog’s dietary needs, we not only reward our dogs but also invest in their long-term well-being. After all, each treat is not just a momentary delight but a step towards a happier, healthier life for our four-legged family members.