iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Every dog owner knows the joy that lights up their pet’s eyes at the mention of a treat. But with the plethora of options available, ensuring that the treat is not just tasty but also nutritious can be a challenge. Enter dog biscuit mixes, the perfect blend of convenience and health, allowing owners to bake wholesome treats at home. In this article, we delve into the best dog biscuit mixes on the market, ensuring your furry friend gets the tasty rewards they deserve without compromising on their health.
#1 – King Arthur Baking Company Dog Biscuit Mix, Pumpkin & Apple, Homemade Dog Treats, 12oz
The King Arthur Baking Company Dog Biscuit Mix is a convenient way to make your own homemade dog treats. The mix is made from a blend of ancient grains, pumpkin, and apples, which promote healthy digestion for your dog. With the ability to make up to 88 biscuits, this product offers a great value for pet owners. King Arthur Baking Company is a well-established brand with a long history in the baking industry, known for their commitment to high-quality products.
#2 – Old Mother Hubbard by Wellness Classic Original Mix Natural Dog Treats, Crunchy Oven-Baked Biscuits, Ideal for Training, Mini Size, 20 ounce bag
The Old Mother Hubbard by Wellness Classic Original Mix Natural Dog Treats are mini-sized, crunchy oven-baked biscuits that are ideal for training purposes. They come in an assortment of flavors, including original, chicken, cheddar, and Char Tar. These treats have a crunchy texture that helps to clean a dog’s teeth while they chew. They are made in North America using high-quality ingredients and do not contain any artificial preservatives. These biscuits have been enjoyed by dogs since 1926 and are slowly oven-baked to preserve their natural flavors.
#3 – May & Lou Healthy Dog Biscuit Mix – Bake at Home – Pumpkin, Apple, Flaxseed – Gift for Dogs – Homemade Dog Treats – Nutritious Baking Mix – Healthy Recipe – Easy Instructions
May & Lou Healthy Dog Biscuit Mix is a baking mix that allows pet owners to easily make homemade dog treats. The mix includes pumpkin, apple, and flaxseed, and only requires the addition of water, egg, and vegetable oil to create a dough. This homemade treat option provides owners with control over the ingredients and allows for experimentation with new recipes. The mix is formulated and packaged in-house to meet food safety standards.
#4 – Nordic Ware Puppy Love Dog Treat Mix, Brown
The Nordic Ware Puppy Love Dog Treat Mix is a homemade, easy-to-make treat mix for dogs. With the ability to make 32 dog treats, this product is specifically designed for puppies and is made in the USA. Perfect for dog owners looking to spoil their furry friends with a tasty and puppy-approved treat.
#5 – Cooper’s Treats Baked Biscuit Starter Kit – Bake at Home Dog Treat Mix (with Two Jars of DIY Make-at-Home Oven Baked Dog Biscuit Mix)
The Cooper’s Treats Baked Biscuit Starter Kit allows dog owners to easily bake homemade dog treats using a simple mix. Made with real meat that has been freeze-dried and blended into a powder, the mix guarantees a high-quality and flavorful treat for dogs. With the option of two different flavors, the kit can make approximately 60 quarter-sized treats that are sure to please any dog.
#6 – Zookies Cookies Dog Treat Mix, DIY Bake at Home, Organic Natural Grain Free Pet Biscuits, Sweet Potato, Larger 10 Ounce Size
Zookies Cookies Dog Treat Mix is a DIY bake-at-home pet biscuit mix that comes in a larger 10 ounce size. It features a new Sweet Pawtato flavor and is packaged in a double size resealable package. The kit includes a bone shape cookie cutter and yields over 72 healthy and fresh baked dog biscuits. The mix is all-natural, free of by-products and preservatives, and is made in the USA.
What Should I Look for with a Quality Bake At Home Dog Biscuit Mix?
When choosing a bake-at-home dog biscuit mix, there are several critical factors to consider to ensure you’re providing your furry friend with a nutritious and safe treat:
- Natural Ingredients: Always look for mixes that contain natural, wholesome ingredients. Avoid products with artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- High-Quality Protein Source: A good mix should contain a quality protein source, such as chicken, beef, or lamb meal. This ensures that the biscuit provides essential amino acids beneficial for muscle maintenance and overall health.
- Limited Fillers: Avoid mixes that list corn, wheat, or soy as primary ingredients. While some dogs can tolerate these, they are common allergens and often considered fillers.
- Beneficial Additives: Some mixes may include health-boosting ingredients such as flaxseed for omega-3 fatty acids, blueberries for antioxidants, or glucosamine for joint health.
- No Harmful Additives: Ensure the mix is free from harmful additives like xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.
- Specific Needs Catering: If your dog has special dietary needs or allergies, opt for mixes tailored to these requirements. For instance, there are grain-free, gluten-free, or hypoallergenic options available.
- Easy Preparation: A good biscuit mix should be easy for the owner to prepare, requiring only a few additional ingredients, if any, and straightforward baking instructions.
- Positive Reviews: Before buying, check out reviews from other dog owners. This can provide insight into how well dogs like the biscuits and any potential issues with the mix.
- Transparent Labeling: Manufacturers should provide clear information about the ingredients and their sources, nutritional content, and any potential allergens.
- Expiry Date: Always check the expiry date to ensure the mix’s freshness. Even if it’s a dry product, it can go bad or lose its nutritional value over time.
In summary, a good bake-at-home dog biscuit mix should prioritize natural and beneficial ingredients, cater to specific dietary needs, and be easy for the owner to prepare. Always consult with your veterinarian if you’re uncertain about introducing a new treat into your dog’s diet.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Biscuit Mixes
1. Why should I consider making my own dog biscuits at home?
Making your own dog biscuits allows you to have full control over the ingredients, ensuring they are fresh and tailored to your pet’s dietary needs. Homemade biscuits can be free from artificial preservatives and additives, making them a healthier treat option.
2. Are bake-at-home dog biscuit mixes cost-effective compared to store-bought biscuits?
While initial costs might be slightly higher, in the long run, making biscuits at home can be more cost-effective, especially if you bake in bulk. Plus, you have the added advantage of knowing exactly what goes into your dog’s treats.
3. Can I add additional ingredients to the biscuit mix?
Yes, you can customize the mix by adding healthy ingredients like blueberries, carrots, or flaxseed. However, always ensure that any added ingredients are safe for dogs and don’t contain harmful substances.
4. How long can I store homemade dog biscuits?
Generally, homemade dog biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for about a week at room temperature. For longer shelf life, consider refrigerating or freezing them and then thawing them as needed.
5. Are there grain-free dog biscuit mixes available?
Yes, many brands offer grain-free options, which are excellent for dogs with grain allergies or sensitivities. These mixes typically use alternative flours like coconut or chickpea.
6. How can I ensure my homemade biscuits are crunchy?
For a crunchy texture, bake the biscuits as directed, then turn off the oven and leave the biscuits inside for an additional hour or so. This will help draw out moisture, giving them a crisp texture.
7. Do dog biscuit mixes expire?
Yes, like all food products, biscuit mixes have an expiry date. Always check the packaging before use and store in a cool, dry place to ensure freshness.
8. Can I make a batch of dough and freeze it for later use?
Absolutely! You can prepare the dough, shape the biscuits, and then freeze them on a tray. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag and bake as needed, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time.
9. How do I know if a particular mix is suitable for my dog’s specific dietary needs?
Always read the ingredient list and nutritional information on the packaging. If your dog has specific allergies or dietary requirements, opt for specialized mixes or consult your veterinarian before introducing a new treat.
10. Are there organic dog biscuit mixes available?
Yes, there are organic options available that use ingredients free from pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, and other chemicals. These mixes can be a great choice for owners looking to provide their dogs with all-natural treats.
Related: 9 Best Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Conclusion: Best Dog Biscuit Mixes
As we’ve journeyed through the world of dog biscuit mixes, it’s evident that giving our pets a treat doesn’t mean sidelining their nutrition. With the right mix, baking biscuits at home can be an enjoyable activity that ensures quality, freshness, and the adaptability to cater to specific dietary needs. So, the next time your dog gives you those pleading eyes for a treat, you can confidently reach for your homemade stash, knowing it’s packed with love and the best ingredients.