iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the world of canine cuisine, oatmeal has emerged as a hero ingredient for our furry friends. Known for its numerous health benefits, including its soothing effect on the skin and its high fiber content that aids in digestion, oatmeal is increasingly becoming a staple in dog treats. But not all oatmeal dog treats are created equal. In this article, we will explore some of the best oatmeal dog treats available on the market. We will delve into what makes them stand out, and what you should look for when picking the perfect oatmeal treat for your four-legged companion.
#1 – Pupums Healthy Dog Treats Non-GMO Grain Free Human Grade Crispy Oatmeal Chip Made in USA (8oz)
Pupums Healthy Dog Treats is a non-GMO, grain-free option for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Made in the USA, these treats are crafted in small batches to ensure freshness and are made from natural, human-grade ingredients. Approved by veterinarians and animal nutritionists, these plant-based treats provide nutritional balance and healthy digestion. The 8 oz value pack contains 25 crispy oatmeal chips, perfect for training your furry friend.
#2 – Amazon Brand – Wag Expedition Human Grade Organic Granola Bites Dog Treats, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Oat & Blueberry, 10oz
The Amazon Brand Wag Expedition Human Grade Organic Granola Bites Dog Treats are a nutritious option for dogs as they are organic, gluten-free, and made with non-GMO ingredients. These granola bites contain Omega-6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat, and are flavored with real blueberries. They do not contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and the added fiber supports digestive function. Customers can enjoy a satisfaction guarantee, as the brand offers refunds for any reason within a year of purchase.
#3 – Three Dog Bakery Assort Mutt Cookie Trio, Soft Baked Treats for Dogs, Three Flavor; Oatmeal and Apple, Peanut Butter, and Vanilla, 3 Pound Bulk Resealable Pack
The Three Dog Bakery Assort Mutt Cookie Trio is a 3-pound bulk resealable pack of soft baked treats for dogs. Made with premium ingredients and no artificial flavors, these wholesome and delicious cookies are baked in small batches in the USA. The soft texture is perfect for older dogs and can be enjoyed on walks, at the dog park, or at home for training. With over 30 years of experience, dog lovers trust Three Dog Bakery to create tasty treats for their furry family members.
#4 – Good Boy Goodies Soft Chew Dog Treats: Oatmeal Cinnamon Crunch | Premium Dog Treats | Irresistible Flavor for Happy Dogs | 8 oz | for All Types of Breeds and Sizes
Good Boy Goodies Soft Chew Dog Treats are a premium treat option for dogs of all breeds and sizes. Made with high-quality, human-grade ingredients, these treats offer an irresistible flavor that dogs are sure to love. The combination of barley flour, rolled oats, and oat flour provides a wholesome blend of nutrients, while ingredients like coconut oil and chia seeds contribute to a healthy coat and digestion. These treats are free of common fillers and unnecessary additives, giving pet owners peace of mind.
#5 – Blue Buffalo Baby BLUE Crunchy Biscuits Natural Puppy Dog Treat Biscuits, Oatmeal & Banana 8-oz Bag
The Blue Buffalo Baby BLUE Crunchy Biscuits Natural Puppy Dog Treat Biscuits are made with wholesome ingredients such as oats, bananas, and yogurt. These oven-baked dog treats provide a satisfying crunch for your furry friend. They also contain DHA to support cognitive development in puppies and are free of corn, wheat, soy, and chicken by-product meals.
#6 – Crown to Tail Oatmeal Cookie Soft Chew Dog Treats, 6oz.
Crown to Tail Oatmeal Cookie Soft Chew Dog Treats offer a delicious and natural option for dog owners looking to spoil their furry friends. Made with ingredients like barley flour, honey, oats, and coconut oil, these treats are free from wheat, corn, and soy. With a balanced nutritional profile and a tasty flavor, these treats are sure to please both dogs and their owners.
#7 – ALASKA’S ORGANIC WF OATMEAL & DATE DOG BISCUITS, 6 OZ
Alaska’s Organic WF Oatmeal & Date Dog Biscuits are a wheat, corn, and soy-free treat option for dogs. These biscuits are made with organic ingredients, including oatmeal and dates, which provide a source of nourishment for dogs. Available in a 6 oz package, these biscuits offer an alternative option for pet owners seeking organic and allergen-free treats for their dogs.
#8 – Wholesome Pride Sweet Potato Fries All-Natural Single Ingredient, USA-Sourced Dog Treats, 32 oz
Wholesome Pride Sweet Potato Fries are all-natural dog treats made with just one ingredient: sweet potatoes. These treats are minimally processed and vary in size, shape, and firmness. They are sourced and made in the USA from aesthetically imperfect sweet potatoes, as part of a sustainability initiative. These treats are grain-free, gluten-free, and have no artificial ingredients or fillers, making them a suitable choice for dogs with food allergies or sensitive stomachs. Additionally, they are a nutritious option as sweet potatoes are a natural source of fiber and vegetable-based nutrients. Wholesome Pride offers a variety of flavors to support the health and well-being of dogs.
#9 – Halo Plant-Based Dog Treats with Oats and Blueberries, Vegan Dog Treat Pouch, 8oz bag
The Halo Plant-Based Dog Treats with Oats and Blueberries are a vegan dog treat option that is crunchy and delicious. Made with real, all-natural ingredients, these treats are free from meat, dairy, and artificial additives. They are suitable for dogs with sensitivities to animal protein and can be enjoyed by dogs of all ages and sizes. Additionally, these treats can be used for dog training or as a way to show appreciation to your furry friend.
What Should I Look for When Choosing an Oatmeal Dog Treat?
When choosing an oatmeal dog treat, it is important to consider several factors to ensure that you are selecting a healthy and appropriate option for your dog. Here are some key aspects to look out for:
- When choosing an oatmeal dog treat, it is important to consider several factors to ensure that you are selecting a healthy and appropriate option for your dog. Here are some key aspects to look out for:
- Quality of Ingredients:
- Look for treats made with whole oats or oat flour as one of the primary ingredients. Avoid treats that list by-products, fillers, or artificial ingredients.
- Nutritional Content:
- Check the nutritional panel on the packaging. Look for treats that are low in fat and sugar. Oatmeal itself is a great source of fiber, so treats containing it should have a decent amount of fiber listed.
- No Harmful Additives:
- Make sure the treats are free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. These can be harmful to dogs and are usually a sign of lower-quality treats.
- Appropriate Size and Texture:
- Choose a treat that is the right size and hardness for your dog’s mouth and chewing abilities. This can prevent choking and ensure that the treat is enjoyable for your pet.
- Specific Health Concerns:
- If your dog has specific health issues, such as allergies or a sensitive stomach, look for treats that are formulated to be hypoallergenic or gentle on the stomach.
- Origin of Ingredients and Manufacturing:
- Look for treats made with ingredients sourced from reliable and safe origins, and produced in a country with high food safety standards.
- Expiration Date:
- Always check the expiration date to ensure that the treats are fresh.
- Vet’s Recommendation:
- If your dog has a specific health condition or is on a special diet, it’s always best to consult with your veterinarian before introducing a new treat into your pet’s diet.
- Positive Customer Reviews:
- Look for products that have good customer reviews, as this can be a helpful indicator of the treat’s quality and how well other dogs have tolerated and enjoyed it.
- Brand Reputation:
- Opt for treats from a reputable company known for producing high-quality, safe, and nutritionally balanced products for pets.
- Quality of Ingredients:
Frequently Asked Questions About Oatmeal Dog Treats
- Why are oatmeal treats recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs?
- Oatmeal is a gentle and easily digestible grain that can be soothing for a dog’s digestive tract. It’s a good source of fiber, which can help regulate bowel movements and alleviate certain digestive issues.
- Can oatmeal treats help with my dog’s itchy skin?
- Yes, oatmeal has natural anti-inflammatory properties that can be beneficial for dogs with itchy or irritated skin. When consumed, it may help from the inside out, but remember, topical oatmeal products will have a more direct effect on skin issues.
- Are there any dogs that shouldn’t have oatmeal treats?
- While most dogs can enjoy oatmeal treats without issue, some might be allergic to grains. Always introduce new treats slowly and watch for any signs of allergies like itching, redness, or digestive upset.
- Do oatmeal treats have gluten?
- Oats themselves are naturally gluten-free, but they can be contaminated with gluten if processed in facilities that handle other grains. If your dog is gluten-sensitive, look for treats labeled gluten-free.
- What other ingredients complement oatmeal in dog treats?
- Common complementary ingredients include fruits like blueberries or apples, proteins like chicken or peanut butter, and other grains or fibers like flaxseed.
- How often can I give my dog oatmeal treats?
- Treats, including those made with oatmeal, should make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake. Always ensure you’re not overfeeding and balance treat consumption with regular meals.
- Are there any additives I should avoid in oatmeal dog treats?
- Yes, avoid treats with artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. High sugar content or added salts should also be avoided.
- Are oatmeal treats suitable for diabetic dogs?
- Oatmeal is a complex carbohydrate and can be suitable for diabetic dogs in moderation. However, it’s crucial to check for added sugars in the treat and consult with your vet before introducing them to a diabetic dog’s diet.
- Can I make homemade oatmeal dog treats?
- Absolutely! Making oatmeal treats at home allows you to control the ingredients and provide a fresh, preservative-free snack for your pet. Many recipes are available online.
- How should I store oatmeal dog treats?
- Store oatmeal treats in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. If they’re homemade and lack preservatives, consider refrigerating them and consuming them within a week for maximum freshness.
Conclusion: Best Oatmeal Dog Treats
Selecting the best oatmeal dog treats for your furry friend means more than just grabbing the first package you see on the shelf. It requires a keen eye for quality ingredients, understanding your dog’s health needs, and considering their taste preferences. Whether you are reaching for oatmeal treats to help soothe your dog’s skin, improve their digestion, or simply because your dog finds them delicious, making a well-informed choice is key. With the options outlined in this article and a consultation with your vet, you can feel confident in treating your dog in a way that is not only tasty but also healthful and nourishing.