iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In an age where dietary preferences and needs have become increasingly diverse, our canine companions aren’t left out of the mix. For dogs with gluten sensitivities or for pet owners who choose a gluten-free lifestyle for their pets, finding the right treats is paramount. Gluten-free dog treats provide an excellent alternative, ensuring that our furry friends can enjoy their rewards without adverse reactions. This article delves into the best gluten-free dog treats in the market, their benefits, and what to consider when making your selection.
#1 – Amazon Brand – Wag Expedition Human Grade Organic Biscuits Dog Treats, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Pumpkin & Chia Seed, 10oz
The Amazon Brand – Wag Expedition Human Grade Organic Biscuits Dog Treats are a healthy option for dog owners seeking organic, gluten-free, and non-GMO treats for their pets. These biscuits are made with pumpkin and chia seeds, providing essential Omega-3 fatty acids to support the immune system and joints. Additionally, the treats contain Vitamin B6 for brain function and fiber for digestive support. The product comes with a satisfaction guarantee, ensuring customers can receive a refund within a year of purchase if they are not satisfied.
#2 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Beef Dog Treats, Grass Fed, Beef Liver Single Ingredient | Natural, Healthy, High Value | Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein, Diabetic Friendly | Made in The USA
These Freeze Dried Beef Dog Treats are a natural and healthy option for dogs and cats. Made from 100% grass-fed beef liver, they are non-greasy and perfect for training or as a food topper. With no additives or GMOs, these treats are suitable for pets with allergies, sensitive stomachs, diabetes, or dietary requirements. Beef liver is nutrient-dense and can contribute to healthier skin and coats. They are made in the USA at an FDA-regulated facility using freeze-drying, which retains more nutrients compared to dehydration or cooking.
#3 – Crafted by Humans Loved by Dogs Portland Pet Food Company Grain-Free & Gluten-Free Biscuit Dog Treats (1-Pack 5 oz) — Pumpkin Flavor — All Natural, Human-Grade, Made in The USA
Portland Pet Food Company Grain-Free & Gluten-Free Biscuit Dog Treats are made with all-natural, human-grade ingredients like pumpkin puree and garbanzo bean flour. These treats are free from gluten, wheat, dairy, and grains, making them a safer option for dogs with dietary sensitivities. Additionally, Portland Pet Food Company donates a portion of its profits to local animal shelters and programs.
#4 – Merrick Power Bites Natural Grain Free Gluten Free Soft & Chewy Chews Dog Treats
Merrick Power Bites Natural Grain Free Gluten Free Soft & Chewy Chews Dog Treats are a type of dog treat that contains real deboned chicken as the primary ingredient. These treats aim to promote healthy muscle tissue and energy levels in dogs. The treats are also designed to be soft and chewy, making them suitable for rewarding or training purposes.
#5 – Jungle Calling Dog Treats, Skinless Chicken Wrapped Sweet Potato, Gluten and Grain Free, Chewy Dog Bites for Balanced Nutrition, 10.6 oz
Jungle Calling Dog Treats are a nutritious and grain-free snack option for dogs. Made with premium ingredients like skinless chicken-wrapped sweet potato, these treats provide balanced nutrition and support optimal health. They are highly palatable, promote dental health, and can be used as a communication and training tool for pet owners.
#6 – PawsFourLove Fully Natural Organic Freeze Dried Dog/Cat Treats Single Ingredient, Healthy, High Value, Gluten and Grain Free, High Protein, Dog/Cat Diabetic Friendly (1 Count, Egg)
PawsFourLove Fully Natural Organic Freeze Dried Dog/Cat Treats are single-ingredient treats made from all-natural and organic freeze-dried quail eggs. These treats are high in protein and low in calories, making them suitable for pets on special diets or those who need to watch their weight. They are diabetic friendly, as they do not contain any added sugar, and are made from 100% natural ingredients that provide essential vitamins and minerals. These treats can be enjoyed by pets of all ages and breeds and can be used as training rewards or as a treat for good behavior.
#7 – Yogurt Sticks | Prebiotic & Probiotics | Protein Rich – Lactose-Free – Gluten Free – Corn Free – Grain Free | USA Made | for All Breeds | 6 pieces of Droolicious Yogurt Sticks | Yogurt Flavor
The Yogurt Sticks are a healthy and delicious treat for all breeds of dogs. They are made with limited, natural ingredients and are easily digestible. The sticks contain prebiotics and probiotics, which support a healthy digestive system and promote healthy skin and coat. They are lactose-free, gluten-free, corn-free, and grain-free, making them a better option for dogs with dietary restrictions. The resealable pouch ensures the freshness of the treats, and they are proudly made in the USA.
#8 – PAWUP Dog Treats Chicken Wrapped Pumpkin Biscuits, Grain Rawhide and Gluten Free, w/Taurine Low Fat Healthy Chewy Training Treats,12.5 oz
The PAWUP Dog Treats Chicken Wrapped Pumpkin Biscuits are a healthy and nutritious option for dogs. Made with natural chicken breast and pumpkin, they are free of gluten, grains, and any harmful additives. These treats are rich in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, promoting a shiny coat and overall physical health for dogs. They are also tasty and palatable, making them a favorite even among picky eaters. Additionally, the chewy texture of these treats helps in grinding teeth, reducing dental plaque and tartar build-up, and improving dental hygiene. These treats can be used as rewards during training sessions, encouraging dogs to follow instructions and strengthening the bond between the owner and the pet. Moreover, they provide emotional relief and can help dogs relieve tension and anxiety, contributing to their overall mental well-being.
#9 – Zoe Super Bars Beef Recipe Dog Treats – Protein Packed Snacks with Berries and Flax Grain Gluten Free 32 oz Bag Big of Made The Finest Ingredients, 2 Pound (Pack 1)
Zoe Super Bars Beef Recipe Dog Treats are a protein-rich snack made with high-quality ingredients, including berries and flaxseed. They come in a 32 oz resealable bag to maintain freshness. These treats are gluten-free and offer a beef flavor that dogs will enjoy.
What Are The Benefits of Gluten-Free Dog Treats?
- Allergy and Sensitivity Relief: Some dogs may be allergic or sensitive to gluten, displaying symptoms like skin irritations, digestive issues, or ear infections. Gluten-free treats can alleviate these symptoms by eliminating the trigger from their diet.
- Digestibility: Gluten-free ingredients, especially those that are natural and wholesome, might be easier for some dogs to digest, especially if they have certain gastrointestinal conditions.
- Reduced Inflammatory Response: Gluten can cause inflammation in some sensitive dogs. By choosing gluten-free treats, you can help reduce potential inflammatory reactions in susceptible pets.
- Potential for Fewer Fillers: High-quality gluten-free treats often focus on wholesome ingredients, which means they may contain fewer artificial fillers and additives compared to some regular dog treats.
- Supports Dietary Preferences: For pet owners who maintain a gluten-free household due to their own sensitivities or beliefs, gluten-free dog treats align with their dietary preferences, ensuring consistency in the products they buy for the entire family.
- Variety: Gluten-free dog treats come in a variety of flavors and formulations, providing a diverse range of options for dogs and allowing pet owners to introduce different nutrients and flavors to their dog’s diets.
It’s important to note that while gluten-free treats can offer these benefits, they are not necessary for all dogs. If a dog does not have a sensitivity or allergy to gluten, traditional treats may work just as well. As always, consulting with a veterinarian can help determine the best dietary choices for an individual pet.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gluten-Free Dog Treats
- Why would a dog need gluten-free treats? Dogs might require gluten-free treats if they have a specific allergy or intolerance to gluten, which can lead to gastrointestinal upsets or skin irritations. Additionally, some pet owners choose gluten-free options due to dietary preferences or in the belief that it offers a healthier alternative for their pets.
- Are gluten-free treats healthier for dogs? Not necessarily. While gluten-free treats can be beneficial for dogs with gluten sensitivities, it doesn’t mean they are universally healthier for all dogs. The overall quality and nutritional content of the treat are more crucial than whether it’s gluten-free.
- Can a dog have celiac disease like humans? While dogs can have gluten sensitivities or allergies, they do not typically get celiac disease as humans do. However, some breeds like the Irish Setter have shown sensitivity to gluten, which can manifest in digestive or skin issues.
- How can I tell if my dog is allergic to gluten? Signs of a food allergy in dogs can include chronic ear inflammation, gastrointestinal problems, chronic diarrhea, skin rashes, and paw biting. If you suspect your dog has a food allergy, consult your vet. They might suggest an elimination diet to identify the allergen.
- Are there other benefits to feeding my dog gluten-free treats? Some gluten-free dog treats might be made with alternative grains or ingredients that can offer different nutritional benefits. For instance, treats made with chickpea flour or coconut flour can provide a different profile of vitamins, minerals, and proteins than those made with wheat.
- Are all grain-free treats also gluten-free? Not always. While gluten is a protein found in specific grains like wheat, barley, and rye, not all grains contain gluten. Therefore, a grain-free treat will be gluten-free, but a treat could be free of gluten while still containing other grains.
- How do I choose a high-quality gluten-free dog treat? Look for treats with whole-food ingredients, minimal fillers, and no artificial preservatives or additives. Ensure that the primary ingredients are nutritious and that the treat is appropriate for your dog’s age, size, and activity level.
- Do gluten-free treats taste different to dogs? Dogs have different taste buds than humans, and their primary sense is the smell. Most dogs are more concerned with the aroma of the treat rather than the presence or absence of gluten. As long as the treat is palatable and smells good, most dogs will happily eat it.
- Are gluten-free dog treats more expensive? This can vary by brand and ingredient quality. In some cases, gluten-free dog treats can be more expensive due to the cost of alternative flour and ingredients, but prices will vary depending on where you shop and the brand you choose.
- Can I make homemade gluten-free dog treats? Absolutely! There are many homemade recipes available online for gluten-free dog treats using ingredients like coconut flour, chickpea flour, or even grain-free options like sweet potato. Always ensure the ingredients are safe for dogs and consult with your vet if unsure about a particular recipe.
Conclusion: Best Gluten-Free Dog Treats
Ensuring that our dogs lead a happy and healthy life is at the forefront of every pet owner’s mind. For those on a gluten-free journey, either by necessity or by choice, there’s a relief in knowing that the market offers a plethora of gluten-free dog treat options. As with any treat or food choice, always prioritize quality, check labels carefully, and monitor your dog for any reactions. With the right gluten-free treats in hand, every rewarding moment becomes a delightful and worry-free experience for both you and your pet.