iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the dynamic realm of canine nutrition, protein stands as a pillar of essential nourishment. As building blocks for muscles, organs, and many vital bodily functions, proteins are paramount to a dog’s overall well-being. Recognizing this significance, many pet owners now prioritize high-protein dog treats as part of their dog’s dietary regimen. This article delves deep into the best high-protein dog treats available, focusing on their benefits, sources, and how they can play a pivotal role in your dog’s health.
#1 – Stewart Freeze Dried Dog Treats Healthy Pups Variety Pack (Healthy Hips, 4 oz. + Healthy Gut, 4 oz.) Healthy, Natural, Limited Ingredient, Grain Free Dog Treat (2 Pouch Bundle)
The Stewart Freeze Dried Dog Treats Healthy Pups Variety Pack offers a bundle of two pouches of freeze-dried treats that support digestion and joint health for dogs. Made in the USA with high-quality control standards, these natural, limited-ingredient treats are suitable for dogs of all sizes and life stages. The grain-free treats are packed with wholesome ingredients and do not contain artificial flavors or fillers, making them a healthy option for dogs with sensitive stomachs or food sensitivities.
#2 – Nutri Bites (Value Pack) Beef Liver Pets Treats Freeze Dried Premium Quality Single Ingredients High Protein 17.6 OZ for Dogs and Cats
The Nutri Bites Value Pack is a freeze-dried pet treat made from premium quality single-ingredient beef liver. It is designed to provide high protein and support various aspects of a dog’s health, including digestion, immune system, reproductive organs, and bone and joints. This product fits all dog breeds, sizes, and life stages, and contains no artificial preservatives, additives, colors, or fillers. It is grain-free and easy to digest, and the freeze-drying process helps to lock in flavor and nutrition.
#3 – Get Joy Endurance 100% Beef Heart Freeze-Dried Dog Treats, 4 Ounce Bag, Single Ingredient, Beef, High Protein, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Made in USA
Get Joy Endurance 100% Beef Heart Freeze-Dried Dog Treats are a single-ingredient, high-protein snack for dogs. Made in the USA, these treats are freeze-dried to preserve the nutrients and flavor of fresh beef hearts. The vet recommended, these treats provide holistic health benefits and may assist in balancing behavioral issues, anxiety, and heart health. They are grain-free, and gluten-free, and can be used as a reward or mixed into meals for added nutrition. Founded by a passion for pet health and nutrition, Get Joy is dedicated to transforming the wellness of dogs everywhere.
#4 – Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Raw Diet for Dogs Freeze Dried Nuggets Dog Food – Turkey – Grain-Free, Gluten-Free Pet Food, Dog Training Treats – 12 Oz.
The Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Raw Diet for Dogs offers a healthy and all-natural alternative for pet owners looking to provide their dogs with a nutritious meal or training treat. These freeze-dried nuggets are gluten-free, grain-free, and free from added hormones or antibiotics, making them suitable for dogs with dietary restrictions or sensitivities. The savory and chewy texture of the nuggets makes them appealing to even the pickiest of eaters, and they are available in flavors such as turkey. Manufactured in the U.S.A., Northwest Naturals prides itself on using only natural ingredients to ensure the satisfaction and well-being of pets.
#5 – Stella & Chewy’s Wild Red Jerky Nuggets Dog Treats Chicken & Duck Recipe, 6 oz. Bag
Stella & Chewy’s Wild Red Jerky Nuggets Dog Treats are protein-rich, grain-free treats that are made with high-quality ingredients. With cage-free chicken and duck as the main animal protein sources, these treats offer a delicious taste that dogs will love. They are tender, low in calories, and suitable for dogs of all life stages. These treats are great for training purposes or as a daily snack to support your pet’s overall health and well-being.
#6 – Northwest Naturals Raw Rewards Freeze-Dried Treats for Dogs and Cats – Pork Liver – Gluten-Free Pet Food – 3 Oz.
Northwest Naturals Raw Rewards Freeze-Dried Treats for Dogs and Cats are all-natural and grain-free snacks that are perfect for pet training or as a daily treat. These freeze-dried treats are made from high-quality ingredients and offer the protein that dogs and cats need for energy. They are available in flavors such as pork liver and are made in the U.S.A. using only natural ingredients.
#7 – Redbarn Protein Puffs for Dogs | A Human-Grade High-Protein Training Treat or Food Topper | Made in The USA (Peanut Butter, Pack of 3)
Redbarn Protein Puffs for Dogs are human-grade treats made in the USA with high protein content. These crispy and crunchy treats have less than one calorie and are packed with essential amino acids to support muscle development in dogs. They can be used as a training treat, snack, or kibble topper and come in flavors like peanut butter and dried cheese. Redbarn Protein Puffs are made with natural ingredients, contain no artificial colors or preservatives, and are free from common allergens like wheat, corn, soy, and gluten. The brand prioritizes safety and conducts regular quality assurance tests to ensure the treats are free of additives and unhealthy chemicals.
#8 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats, Wild Caught, Single Ingredient | Natural High Value | Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein, Diabetic Friendly | Natural Fish Oil | Made in The USA
These Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats are a popular choice among both dogs and cats. Made from 100% freeze-dried wild caught Alaskan salmon, these treats are ideal for pets with allergies or dietary restrictions. The salmon is a natural source of essential fatty acids, which promote healthy skin and coats, as well as joint and heart support. Sustainably sourced and made in the USA, these treats are a high-quality option for pet owners looking for a nutritious and delicious treat for their furry friends.
What Should I Look for When Choosing a High Protein Dog Treat?
- Quality of Protein Source: Prioritize treats made from high-quality, whole meat sources such as chicken, beef, lamb, or fish. Avoid treats that rely heavily on meat by-products or fillers as their primary protein sources.
- Ingredient List: A shorter and more recognizable ingredient list often indicates a more natural treat. Ensure the protein source is one of the first ingredients listed, signifying its prominence in the treat.
- Avoid Harmful Additives: Steer clear of treats that contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. These can be harmful in the long run and are unnecessary for a treat’s palatability.
- Nutritional Analysis: Check the guaranteed analysis on the treat’s label. This will give you an idea of the protein percentage, ensuring it aligns with the high protein claim.
- Caloric Content: Even if a treat is high in protein, it might also be high in calories. Ensure you adjust your dog’s overall calorie intake to account for the treats to prevent weight gain.
- Appropriate Size and Texture: Choose treats that are appropriately sized for your dog to prevent choking hazards. Also, ensure the texture is suitable, especially if you have a senior dog or one with dental issues.
- Brand Reputation: Opt for brands known for their quality and safety standards. A trusted brand often ensures better sourcing of ingredients and more rigorous quality control.
- Country of Origin: Some countries have stricter regulations and quality control standards regarding pet food production. It’s often recommended to choose treats produced in regions known for their rigorous safety and quality standards.
- Dietary Needs and Allergies: If your dog has specific dietary restrictions or allergies, ensure the high protein treat does not contain any potential allergens or problematic ingredients.
- Ethical and Sustainable Sourcing: If this is a concern for you, look for brands that prioritize ethically sourced ingredients and sustainable production methods.
Frequently Asked Questions About High Protein Dog Treats
- Why are high protein dog treats beneficial? High protein dog treats support muscle growth, tissue repair, and overall health. Proteins provide essential amino acids that are vital for many bodily functions, making these treats a nutritious choice for active dogs or those requiring additional protein.
- Are high protein treats suitable for all dogs? While most dogs can benefit from high protein treats, some might require them more than others, such as working dogs or breeds with higher muscle mass. However, dogs with specific health conditions, like kidney issues, may need to limit protein intake. Always consult with a veterinarian.
- Can high protein treats replace regular dog food? No, treats should be a supplementary part of a dog’s diet and not a replacement for balanced dog food. Even if they’re high in protein, treats don’t offer all the nutrients in the right proportions that complete dog foods provide.
- How often should I give my dog high protein treats? While they’re nutritious, high protein treats should be given in moderation. It’s recommended that treats make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake to ensure a balanced diet.
- Do high protein treats have higher calories? Not necessarily. While protein is calorically dense, the overall calorie count depends on other ingredients in the treat. Always check the caloric content and adjust feeding amounts accordingly.
- What are common sources of protein in these treats? Common protein sources include chicken, beef, lamb, fish, and sometimes plant-based proteins like lentils or chickpeas. Quality treats will prioritize whole meat sources over by-products.
- Are there vegetarian or vegan high protein dog treats? Yes, there are vegetarian and vegan dog treats that utilize plant-based protein sources, such as lentils, chickpeas, or soy. These can be suitable for dogs with certain meat allergies or for owners who prioritize plant-based diets.
- Can puppies have high protein dog treats? Puppies have higher protein requirements than adult dogs, so they can benefit from these treats. However, ensure the treats are appropriate in size and texture for younger dogs and always monitor for any adverse reactions.
- How do I store high protein dog treats? Storage depends on the treat type and its ingredients. While many can be stored in a cool, dry place, some might require refrigeration. Always check the packaging for specific storage recommendations.
- Are there any potential risks with high protein treats? While most dogs can handle and benefit from high protein treats, excessive protein over time might strain the kidneys in some dogs, especially if they have pre-existing conditions. It’s crucial to balance the intake and consult with a veterinarian if unsure.
Conclusion: Best High Protein Dog Treats
In wrapping up, it’s undeniable that high protein dog treats offer numerous advantages for our canine companions, from muscle development to satiation. However, the key lies in choosing quality sources of protein and ensuring a balanced approach to feeding. Remember, while treats are a delightful addition, they should complement, not replace, a balanced diet. By integrating the best high protein treats judiciously, you’re making a conscious choice towards fostering a robust, energetic, and thriving pet.