iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
As the temperatures rise, our furry companions feel the heat just as much as we do. Finding ways to keep them cool, hydrated, and satisfied becomes paramount. Frozen dog treats emerge as the perfect solution, offering not only a refreshing respite from the summer sun but also a tasty and nutritious snack. In this article, we’ll delve into the best-frozen dog treats that will make your pet’s tail wag with delight.
#1 – Cooper’s Treats Popsicle Starter Kit – Easy, Homemade Frozen Dog Treat Mix (Contains Two Jars of DIY Healthy Dog Treat Mix) – Regular
The Cooper’s Treats Popsicle Starter Kit is a convenient solution for pet owners who want to make their own frozen dog treats at home. The kit includes two jars of DIY healthy dog treat mix, allowing dog owners to easily whip up homemade dog popsicles. This fun and tasty dog ice cream mix is a great way to treat your furry friend to a healthy and delicious snack.
#2 – Chew King Premium Treat Dog Toy, Large, Extremely Durable Natural Rubber Fillable Toy Collection, Frozen Feeding, All Breed Sizes
The Chew King Premium Treat Dog Toy is a durable, natural rubber toy that can be filled with treats to soothe an anxious pet, reward good behavior, or slow down mealtime. The toy comes in three sizes to accommodate different breeds. It can be filled with kibble, and water, and frozen to create a cool and engaging treat for your dog. The toy is dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning and is designed with a safety vent to prevent tongues from getting stuck.
#3 – Raw Paws Pet 2-inch Beef Split Frozen Raw Marrow Bones for Dogs Small, 48-ct – Made in USA Raw Frozen Bones for Dogs – Raw Meaty Dog Bones for Small Dogs – Frozen Dog Bones, Beef Marrow Bones Dogs Raw
Raw Paws Pet offers 2-inch frozen raw marrow bones for small dogs. These bones are made in the USA from cattle raised without antibiotics or added hormones. They are free of preservatives and fillers, making them a safe alternative to traditional rawhide chews. Chewing on these bones supports dental health and helps satisfy a dog’s urge to chew. Additionally, Raw Paws Pet offers a satisfaction guarantee on its products.
#4 – Puppy Scoops Ice Cream Mix for Dogs: Maple Bacon – Add Water and Freeze at Home!, 4.65 oz Made in USA
Puppy Scoops Ice Cream Mix for Dogs in the flavor Maple Bacon offers a convenient and natural way to treat your furry friend to scoopable ice cream at home. Made in the USA, this product allows you to simply add water and freeze to create a healthy and enjoyable snack for your dog. With its high ratings and new packaging design, Puppy Scoops is a popular choice among dog owners seeking a tasty and hassle-free ice cream option for their pets.
#5 – GoSports Pets PupsCream Parlor – Non-Slip Frozen Dog Treat & Ice Cream Holder – Mess-Free Lick Mat Alternative, Includes 6 Reusable Cups & Lids, Red
The GoSports Pets PupsCream Parlor is a non-slip frozen dog treat and ice cream holder that provides a mess-free way for dogs to enjoy frozen snacks. Unlike traditional rubber dispensing toys, this holder stays in one place, preventing pets from eating treats on the floor or furniture. It includes 6 reusable cups and lids, allowing pet owners to use store-bought dog ice cream or create their own DIY recipes. The PupsCream Parlor is easy to clean and offers a cost-effective alternative to chewed-up lick mats or expensive bully sticks.
#6 – THE BEAR AND THE RAT Bacon & Peanut Butter Dog Treat, 14 FZ
The Bear and The Rat Bacon & Peanut Butter Dog Treat is a frozen yogurt treat designed for dogs. It comes in single-serve cups and is made with real, high-quality ingredients like yogurt, bacon, and peanut butter. The treat is free from wheat, soy, gluten, xylitol, and artificial additives. Each cup contains prebiotics and digestive enzymes and only 90 calories. The company is dedicated to providing healthy and natural treats for dogs and also supports animal shelters.
What Should I Look for When Purchasing a Frozen Dog Treat?
When purchasing a frozen dog treat, it’s important to consider several factors to ensure you’re providing your canine friend with a safe, nutritious, and enjoyable snack:
- Ingredients: Start by checking the ingredient list. Opt for treats that list whole, natural ingredients at the beginning. Avoid treats that have artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors. Look for real fruits, vegetables, and high-quality protein sources.
- Nutritional Value: While treats are not meant to replace meals, it’s ideal if they provide some nutritional benefit. Look for treats fortified with vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients. Omega-3 fatty acids, for example, are great for skin and coat health.
- Appropriate Size: Ensure the size of the treat is appropriate for your dog. Larger breeds may need bigger treats, while smaller breeds will need something more proportionate to their size to avoid choking.
- Avoid Harmful Ingredients: Certain foods are toxic to dogs, such as grapes, chocolate, and xylitol (a sugar substitute). Ensure none of these harmful ingredients are present in the treat.
- Limited Fillers: Look for treats that minimize the use of fillers like corn, wheat, and soy. These fillers can be allergenic for some dogs and often offer little nutritional value.
- Storage and Shelf Life: Ensure that the treat’s packaging provides clear instructions on storage. Since these are frozen treats, they’ll need to be stored in the freezer and used before any indicated expiration date.
- Flavor Variety: Dogs, like humans, enjoy a variety of flavors. If possible, opt for a brand that offers multiple flavor choices so you can rotate and see which one your dog prefers.
- Consistency and Texture: Some frozen treats may be harder than others. If your dog has dental issues or is a senior, you might want a softer treat.
By keeping these considerations in mind, you’ll be well on your way to choosing the perfect frozen treat that your dog will both relish and benefit from nutritionally.
Frequently Asked Questions About Frozen Dog Treats
- What are the main benefits of frozen dog treats? Frozen dog treats can offer a refreshing way to cool your dog down during hot days. They are also great for teething puppies, providing a soothing sensation. Additionally, many frozen treats have added nutritional benefits, like fruits or yogurt, which can supplement a dog’s diet.
- Are frozen treats suitable for all dog breeds? Yes, frozen treats can be suitable for all breeds; however, it’s crucial to choose a size and hardness appropriate for your dog. Smaller breeds might need bite-sized treats, while larger breeds can handle bigger portions.
- How often can I give my dog a frozen treat? While frozen treats are a delightful snack for dogs, they should be given in moderation, just like any other treat. Depending on the treat’s nutritional content and size, 1-2 times a day during hot weather or as a special reward is generally acceptable.
- Do frozen dog treats have a shelf life? Yes, like any frozen product, frozen dog treats do have a shelf life. Always check the expiration date on the packaging and ensure they’re stored properly to maintain their freshness and nutritional value.
- Can I make homemade frozen dog treats? Absolutely! Many pet owners opt to make homemade frozen treats using dog-safe ingredients like peanut butter, bananas, and yogurt. This allows for control over the ingredients and can be more cost-effective.
- Are there any ingredients to avoid in frozen dog treats? Always avoid chocolate, grapes, xylitol, and other known dog toxins. It’s also advisable to steer clear of treats with excessive artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors.
- Can frozen treats help with my dog’s dental health? While frozen treats can provide a temporary cleaning effect on a dog’s teeth and can soothe gums for teething puppies, they aren’t a replacement for regular dental care practices like brushing or dental chews.
- Do frozen treats have a lot of calories? Caloric content can vary among frozen treats. If you’re watching your dog’s weight, it’s essential to check the treat’s nutritional information and factor it into their daily caloric intake.
- My dog is lactose intolerant. Are there dairy-free frozen treats? Yes, many frozen dog treats are dairy-free. Look for treats made from fruit purees, broths, or non-dairy bases like coconut milk. Always read the ingredients to ensure they’re safe for your dog.
- How should I store leftover frozen dog treats? Any leftover frozen dog treats should be returned to the freezer promptly. Make sure they’re sealed in an airtight container or bag to maintain freshness and prevent freezer burn.
Related: 9 Best Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Conclusion: Best Frozen Dog Treats
The joy of watching your canine friend savor a frosty treat on a hot day is unparalleled. As responsible pet owners, it’s crucial to provide them with options that are not only delicious but also beneficial for their health. The best-frozen dog treats strike the perfect balance between nutrition and flavor, ensuring that your dog is both happy and well-nourished. So, the next time the mercury soars, you’ll be well-equipped with treats that keep your pet cool, content, and thriving.