iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Salmon is much more than a delectable treat; it’s a powerhouse of essential nutrients that can have impressive benefits for your dog’s health. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, high-quality protein, and various vitamins and minerals, salmon-based treats are increasingly becoming a favorite among pet owners who are conscious about their dog’s diet and well-being. In this article, we will delve into the best salmon dog treats available in the market, focusing on those that are sourced responsibly and prepared with minimal processing to retain the natural goodness of this remarkable fish.
#1 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats, Wild Caught, Single Ingredient | Natural High Value | Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein, Diabetic Friendly | Natural Fish Oil | Made in The USA
This product is a freeze-dried salmon treat for dogs and cats. It is made from wild-caught Alaskan salmon and is a single ingredient, making it suitable for pets with allergies, sensitive stomachs, diabetes, or specific dietary requirements. The treats are grain-free, gluten-free, and raw-diet approved, and they are packed with essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals that promote healthier skin, shinier coats, and joint and heart support. The treats are sustainably sourced and made in the USA to ensure human-grade quality.
#2 – Nutri Bites (Value Pack) Freeze Dried Salmon Pets Treats Rich in Protein and Omega-3 Premium Quality 14 OZ for Dogs and Cats
The Nutri Bites Value Pack offers freeze-dried salmon pet treats that are rich in protein and Omega-3. These treats are made with 100% wild-caught salmon and support the immune system while decreasing inflammation and protecting pets’ hair and skin. Produced in a SQF-certified facility in Canada, these treats are single animal protein and 100% natural, locking in all the necessary nutrients and flavor for your furry companions.
#3 – Stewart Freeze Dried Dog Treats, Wild Salmon, Grain Free & Gluten Free, 2.75 Ounce Resealable Pouch, Single Ingredient, Dog Training Treats
Stewart Freeze Dried Dog Treats are made with wild salmon, providing a single-ingredient treat that supports strong muscles, bones, and a healthy coat. These grain-free and gluten-free treats are freeze-dried to retain nutrients and preserve freshness. Suitable for dogs of all sizes and stages of life, these treats are made in the USA with high-quality control standards and are packed with protein, making them great for training purposes. Please note that settling may occur in the packaging, and treat sizes and quantity may vary.
#4 – Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats, Salmon Bites Treats, 2.5 oz
Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats, specifically the Salmon Bites Treats, are a high-protein option that aims to promote vitality in dogs. These treats are made from responsibly sourced, premium butcher-cut salmon, providing natural vitamins and minerals. The company takes pride in its American craftsmanship and ensures the highest quality of proteins without the use of additives, fillers, artificial preservatives, grains, or rendered by-products. Additionally, the freeze-drying process is done quickly after harvesting to preserve nutrients, flavor, and freshness.
#5 – PureBites Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats 70g | 1 Ingredient | Made in USA (Packaging May Vary)
The PureBites Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats are made with only one ingredient: 100% pure wild-caught sockeye salmon. The treats are freeze-dried in the USA, preserving the freshness and nutrients of the salmon. With no added colors, fillers, or sweeteners, these high-protein and low-calorie treats are suitable for dogs with diabetes, allergies, or other health issues. Additionally, PureBites is committed to sustainability and packages its treats in recyclable bags.
#6 – IMK9 Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats – High-Value Training, High Protein, Natural Omega 3-6 Fish Oil – Wild Caught – 100% Pure Fish with Skin – Single Ingredient, Gluten, Grain Free – Made in The USA
IMK9 Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats are high-quality, single-ingredient treats that dogs absolutely love. Made from 100% freeze-dried salmon with the skin still on, these treats are rich in protein and contain natural Omega 3-6 fish oil. They are also full of essential vitamins and minerals, offering health benefits for dogs. Made in the USA and free from grain, soy, gluten, and artificial additives, these treats provide a safe and nutritious option for your furry friend. The product comes with a 100% money-back guarantee, giving customers peace of mind and confidence in their purchase.
#7 – Blue Ridge Naturals Oven Baked Salmon Jerky Dog Treats, 1lb Bag
Blue Ridge Naturals Oven Baked Salmon Jerky Dog Treats are a 1lb bag of dog treats that are oven-baked and wheat-free. The treats are made in the USA and are said to promote cardiac health in dogs. They are made with real Alaskan salmon and aim to keep dogs happy with a tasty and healthy treat option.
#8 – Carolina Prime Pet 45106 Salmon And Sweet Tater Fillets Treat For Dogs ( 1 Pouch), One Size
The Carolina Prime Pet 45106 Salmon And Sweet Tater Fillets Treat is a dog treat that is made from wild-caught Alaskan salmon and sweet potatoes. It comes in a convenient and resealable pouch, making it easy to store. The package dimensions are 15.5″L x 8.5″W x 12.25″H.
#9 – Salmon Fish Oil Omega 3 for Dogs – with Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil – Skin & Coat + Seasonal Allergy Support – Hip & Joint Dog Supplement + EPA & DHA – 90 Bites – Salmon Flavor
Salmon Fish Oil Omega 3 for Dogs is a dog supplement that aims to support skin and coat health, seasonal allergies, hip and joint health, and overall immune support. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, which help promote healthy skin, reduce oxidative stress, and maintain the normal moisture content of the skin. The supplement also includes Kelp, Biotin, and DHAgold for additional skin health support.
#10 – Plato Original Real Strips Salmon 18oz
Plato Original Real Strips Salmon is a soft-textured meat bar made with real American salmon as the main ingredient. These strips are a natural source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, promoting skin and coat health in dogs. The product is free from added corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, flavors, and chemical preservatives. It can be fed as a treat, training aid, or reward, and can be given as a whole piece or broken into smaller-sized bites. Manufactured in California, USA, using responsibly sourced ingredients from around the world, these strips are naturally preserved and air-dried in small batches for enhanced palatability.
What Are The Benefits of Salmon Dog Treats?
Salmon dog treats offer a range of health benefits owing to the rich nutritional profile of salmon. Here are some of the most significant benefits:
- Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: One of the standout features of salmon is its high content of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their anti-inflammatory effects. These fats can help reduce inflammation in the body, which is beneficial for dogs with arthritis or other inflammatory conditions.
- Promotes a Healthy Coat and Skin: The Omega-3 fatty acids in salmon are excellent for a dog’s skin and coat. They help to keep the dog’s coat shiny and healthy and can alleviate dry and itchy skin.
- Supports Heart Health: The healthy fats in salmon are good for your dog’s heart. Regular consumption of these fats is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease in dogs, similar to the effects seen in humans.
- High-Quality Protein Source: Salmon is a high-quality protein source, which is essential for muscle development and repair. It is easily digestible and is generally a good protein option for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Brain Health: The DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) in salmon is a specific type of Omega-3 that is important for brain health. It is especially beneficial for puppies and senior dogs, helping in the development of the nervous system in young dogs and supporting cognitive function in older dogs.
- Immune System Support: The vitamins and minerals in salmon, such as Vitamin D and selenium, are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system in dogs.
- Low in Fat and Calories: Compared to other meats, salmon is relatively low in calories and fat, making it a good treat option for dogs that are overweight or have pancreatitis.
- Hypoallergenic Properties: For dogs with certain food sensitivities or allergies to more common protein sources like chicken or beef, salmon can be a great alternative, as it is generally less likely to cause allergic reactions.
It’s important to note that while salmon dog treats offer these benefits, they should be given in moderation and should not replace a balanced, complete diet. Always ensure that the salmon in the treats is sourced responsibly and is free of harmful chemicals or excessive preservatives.
Frequently Asked Questions About Salmon Dog Treats
- What are the main health benefits of salmon dog treats? Salmon dog treats are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which promote heart health, reduce inflammation, and support a shiny coat and healthy skin. They also provide high-quality protein, essential vitamins, and minerals beneficial for immune system support and overall wellness.
- Can all dogs have salmon dog treats? While most dogs can benefit from the nutrients found in salmon treats, some dogs might be allergic or sensitive to fish. It’s always best to introduce any new treat slowly and monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
- How often should I give my dog salmon treats? Salmon treats are meant to be supplements to a dog’s diet and should be given in moderation. Depending on the size and dietary needs of your dog, a few treats a couple of times a week is generally a good guideline.
- Are there any risks associated with salmon dog treats? If not properly prepared, salmon can contain parasites harmful to dogs. Ensure the treats you buy are from a reputable source, and the salmon has been adequately treated or cooked to kill any potential hazards.
- Can puppies eat salmon dog treats? Yes, puppies can eat salmon treats. In fact, the Omega-3s are beneficial for brain development. However, always ensure the treat size is appropriate for the puppy’s size to prevent choking.
- Do salmon treats have a strong odor? Salmon treats can have a fishy odor, which dogs usually find appealing. However, the strength of the scent might vary based on the treat’s preparation and added ingredients.
- How should I store salmon dog treats? For freshness, store salmon treats in a cool, dry place. If you’re using freeze-dried or dehydrated salmon treats, ensure they’re stored in airtight containers to prevent moisture buildup.
- Can I make homemade salmon treats for my dog? Absolutely! There are many recipes available for homemade salmon treats. However, ensure that the salmon is cooked properly to eliminate any potential parasites, and always avoid added seasonings or ingredients harmful to dogs.
- Do salmon treats contain bones? Quality commercial salmon treats should not contain any bones, as they can be a choking hazard or cause internal injury. However, always inspect treats and, if making them at home, ensure all bones are removed.
- Are there environmental concerns with salmon dog treats? Yes, overfishing is a concern with salmon. It’s essential to choose treats made from sustainably sourced salmon to ensure that you’re supporting environmentally responsible practices.
Conclusion: Best Salmon Dog Treats
Finding the perfect treat for your dog can be a fulfilling task, especially when you know that you are contributing positively to their health and happiness. As we have seen, salmon dog treats are an excellent option, offering not just a burst of flavor that dogs love, but also a host of health benefits, particularly for the skin, coat, and heart. As with all treats, it is vital to feed them in moderation and as a part of a balanced diet. By choosing one of the high-quality salmon dog treats highlighted in this article, you can show your love in a way that is also health-conscious, aligning with the best interest of your beloved pet.