iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the world of dog treats, the options can seem endless and sometimes overwhelming. From biscuits and chews to soft treats and everything in between, how can you be sure you’re choosing the best option for your beloved furry friend? As conscientious pet owners, we all want to reward our dogs in the healthiest way possible. In this article, we will explore a selection of dog treats that come with a seal of approval from the ones who know pet health best – veterinarians. These vet-recommended dog treats are not just tasty rewards; they are also formulated to be nutritious, safe, and beneficial for your dog’s overall health.
#1 – Vet-Recommended Premium Whole Chicken Hearts for Dogs & Cats (Giant 5oz Bag) | Freeze Dried Natural Dog Treats – Perfect Organ Meat for Dogs & Cats | Human Grade – Natural Source of Taurine – USA Made
Vet Recommended Premium Whole Chicken Hearts for Dogs & Cats are a natural and nutritious treat for pets. These freeze-dried chicken hearts are packed with vitamins and minerals, including taurine which is essential for healthy biological functions. Made in the USA, these treats are gluten-free and do not contain any fillers or artificial ingredients. If your pet doesn’t love them, the company offers a money-back guarantee.
#2 – Virbac CET Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Dogs, beef,12.8 oz
The Virbac CET Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Dogs are a daily dental care solution for medium-sized dogs weighing between 26 to 50 pounds. The chews feature a dual enzyme system and an abrasive texture that work with the dog’s chewing action to reduce plaque and tartar buildup, promoting clean teeth and fresh breath. Vet-recommended and made from select beef hide, these chews are basted with a tasty poultry flavor that dogs love. Please note that the packaging has been updated, but there have been no changes to the product itself.
#3 – Vet-Recommended Premium Chicken Jerky for Dogs – Giant 8oz Bag | All Natural Dog Treats – Single Ingredient – No Fillers or Preservatives – Whole Dehydrated Chicken – Made in USA
The Vet Recommended Premium Chicken Jerky for Dogs is a locally sourced and made-in-the-USA dog treat that is made from whole dehydrated chicken. It is produced in small batches to ensure freshness and is free from fillers, preservatives, gluten, and grains. The treat is easy on the teeth and digestion of dogs and is highly enjoyable for them, making it a favorite among picky eaters.
#4 – Nutri-Vet Dental Health Soft Chews for Dogs | Helps Control Plaque and Tartar Buildup | Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor | 70 Count
Nutri-Vet Dental Health Soft Chews for Dogs are a natural treat that helps control plaque and tartar buildup in dogs. They also contain CoQ10 to protect gums from free radicals and promote healing. Additionally, the chews contain vitamin C and zinc to reinforce tooth enamel and decrease certain types of oral bacteria. Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients, Nutri-Vet Dental Health Soft Chews are trusted by veterinarians and meet high standards of quality and consistency.
#5 – ARK NATURALS Gray Muzzle Old Dogs! Happy Joints! The vet Recommended to Support Cartilage and Joint Function, Glucosamine, 90 Soft Chews
ARK NATURALS Gray Muzzle Old Dogs! Happy Joints! is a vet-recommended dog chew specifically formulated for senior dogs of all breeds aged 5 years or older. It is designed to support mobility and flexibility while relieving joint discomfort associated with aging. The chew contains glucosamine and chondroitin to rebuild and repair connective tissue, turmeric for pain relief and inflammation reduction, and is made in the USA with high-quality, natural ingredients that are free from corn, soy, wheat, artificial colors, and preservatives.
#6 – ORAVET Dental Chews for Dogs, Oral Care and Hygiene Chews (Small Dogs, 10-24 lbs.) Blue Pouch, 30 Count
ORAVET Dental Chews for Dogs is a dental care product designed to help keep dogs’ teeth clean, reduce plaque and tartar build-up, and combat bad breath. The chews contain delmopinol, a substance used in human oral rinses to improve dental hygiene. The chews work by loosening and dislodging plaque through the dog’s chewing action, and they are easily digestible with a pleasant vanilla aroma and poultry flavor. Each bag of these dental chews provides a month’s worth of dental protection when used daily.
#7 – VetIQ Advanced Hip & Joint with UC-II® and Omega-3s Advance Formula for All Dog Breeds, Chicken Flavor, 60 Count
VetIQ Advanced Hip & Joint with UC-II® and Omega-3s is a supplement for dogs that helps reduce joint pain and improve mobility. It contains UC-II, a substance that is known to alleviate joint pain, along with Omega 3, which aids in lubricating the joints. This product is made from 100% natural ingredients, including QRILL PET, and is suitable for all breeds of dogs. Each bag of the VetIQ Soft Chew comes with 60 chews.
#8 – Hill’s Grain Free Dog Treats, Soft-Baked Naturals with Beef & Sweet Potatoes, Soft Healthy Dog Snacks, 8 oz. Bag
Hill’s Grain Free Dog Treats, Soft-Baked Naturals with Beef & Sweet Potatoes, are soft and delicious treats made with real beef. They are made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients that are trustworthy and not artificially preserved or flavored. These treats are a great option for training or as an addition to your dog’s regular food routine, providing a natural balance of flavor and nutrition in every bite. Previously known as Hill’s Ideal Balance Soft Baked Naturals With Beef and Sweet Potatoes.
#9 – Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Weight Management Dog Treats, Veterinary Diet, 12 oz. Bag
Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Weight Management Dog Treats are a tasty and healthy option for adult dogs looking to support healthy weight loss and weight maintenance. These crunchy bone-shaped biscuits are designed to complement certain Prescription Diet foods and are moderate in calories, protein, and phosphorus while being low in sodium. They are easily digestible and appropriate for dogs being fed various Prescription Diets or Science Diet dog foods. It is recommended to consult with a veterinarian to determine if these treats are suitable for your dog.
#10 – Hill’s Natural Baked Light Dog Biscuits with Real Chicken for Small Dogs, Healthy Dog Snacks, 8 oz. Bag
Hill’s Natural Baked Light Dog Biscuits are a natural and healthy snack option for small dogs. Made with real chicken, these treats are low in calories to prevent weight gain. They are also free from artificial preservatives and flavors. This product is recommended for adult and mature adult dogs, although not suitable for puppies, pregnant, or nursing dogs. Additionally, Hill’s offers a satisfaction guarantee to ensure customer satisfaction.
Why is It Important to Choose a Vet Approved Dog Treat?
Choosing a vet-approved dog treat is important for several key reasons:
- Health and Safety: Vet-approved dog treats are generally held to a higher standard of quality and safety. Vets have a deep understanding of pet health and are knowledgeable about what ingredients are safe and beneficial for dogs. They are likely to recommend products that are free from harmful additives and chemicals.
- Nutritional Value: Vet-approved treats are often formulated to be nutritionally balanced and may contain essential vitamins and minerals that support your dog’s health. They are designed to complement a dog’s regular diet, not detract from it.
- Appropriate for Specific Needs: Not all dogs have the same dietary needs. Some may have allergies, sensitivities, or specific health conditions that require a special diet. Vets are uniquely positioned to recommend treats that are suitable for a dog’s specific health status, life stage, and nutritional needs.
- Dental Health: Many vet-approved dog treats are designed to help with dental care, which is a significant aspect of a dog’s overall health. They can help to reduce plaque and tartar build-up and promote healthier gums and teeth.
- Prevent Overfeeding and Obesity: Vet-approved treats are often clearly labeled with feeding guidelines, which can help pet owners avoid overfeeding. This is crucial as overfeeding treats can lead to obesity, a condition that comes with a host of health issues.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that a treat is vet-approved gives dog owners confidence and peace of mind. It means that a professional, with the health and well-being of animals as their primary concern, has assessed the treat and deemed it a good option for dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Vet-Approved Dog Treats
- What does it mean for a dog treat to be vet-approved?
- A vet-approved dog treat means that it has been recommended or endorsed by a veterinarian. This is usually based on the treat’s safety, nutritional value, and overall health benefits for dogs. Such treats are generally made with high-quality, natural ingredients and are free from harmful additives and preservatives.
- Why should I choose vet-approved treats over regular treats?
- Vet-approved treats are typically held to higher quality and safety standards. They are designed to complement your dog’s regular diet and are formulated to meet specific health needs or conditions. Choosing vet-approved treats gives you the peace of mind that you are providing a safe and beneficial reward for your pet.
- Are vet-approved treats suitable for dogs with allergies?
- Yes, many vet-approved treats are formulated to be hypoallergenic and are designed specifically for dogs with food sensitivities or allergies. However, it is essential to consult with your veterinarian before introducing a new treat to ensure it is safe for your dog’s specific condition.
- How can I verify that a treat is vet-approved?
- To verify that a treat is vet-approved, look for endorsements or recommendations on the packaging, or ask your veterinarian directly. It’s also wise to check the brand’s website for information and to read customer and professional reviews.
- Are vet-approved treats more expensive than regular treats?
- Vet-approved treats may be more expensive than regular treats due to their higher quality ingredients and the research that goes into their formulation. However, investing in these treats can potentially lead to lower vet bills in the future by contributing to your dog’s overall health.
- Can vet-approved treats be given to puppies?
- Many vet-approved treats are formulated to be safe and nutritious for dogs of all life stages, including puppies. Always check the packaging for age recommendations and consult your vet before introducing a new treat to your puppy’s diet.
- How often should I give my dog vet-approved treats?
- While vet-approved treats are generally safe and healthy, they should still be given in moderation. Consult with your veterinarian about the appropriate amount and frequency based on your dog’s age, weight, health status, and dietary needs.
- Can vet-approved treats help with my dog’s dental health?
- Yes, some vet-approved treats are specifically designed to promote dental health by reducing plaque and tartar buildup. Always consult with your vet about the best dental treat options for your dog.
- Will vet-approved treats help if my dog has a sensitive stomach?
- Many vet-approved treats are formulated to be easy on a dog’s digestive system. They often contain simple, natural ingredients and avoid common irritants, making them an excellent option for dogs with sensitive stomachs. However, it’s best to consult with your vet before making any changes to your dog’s diet.
- Where can I buy vet-approved dog treats?
- Vet-approved dog treats can be purchased at veterinary clinics, pet supply stores, and reputable online retailers. It’s a good idea to ask your vet for specific recommendations and where to find them.
Conclusion: Best Vet Recommend Dog Treats
Selecting the right treat for your dog doesn’t have to be a game of guesswork. By opting for vet-recommended dog treats, you are choosing products that are designed with your pet’s health in mind. These treats are more than just an indulgent snack; they are an extension of a balanced and health-conscious diet for your canine companion. Remember that while treats are a wonderful way to bond with your pet and reward good behavior, they should be given in moderation and should not replace a complete and balanced diet. Always consult with your vet before making any significant changes to your dog’s diet, and happy treating!