iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
As new pet parents, we all want to give our puppies the best start in life. Part of that includes ensuring they are calm and comfortable as they navigate the world around them. While training and socialization are essential, sometimes our puppies need a little extra help, particularly in high-stress situations. This is where puppy calming treats and chews come in. These products are designed to naturally soothe and relax your pet, making their (and your) life just a bit easier. In this article, we will guide you through the best puppy-calming treats and chews available in the market, keeping your pet’s well-being at the forefront.
#1 – Zesty Paws Calming Chews for Dogs – Composure & Relaxation for Everyday Stress & Separation – with Ashwagandha, Organic Chamomile, L-Theanine & L-Tryptophan – Turkey Puppy – 90 Count
The Zesty Paws Calming Chews for Dogs are a supplement designed to support a sense of relaxation and calmness in puppies. These turkey-flavored chewables contain ingredients such as Ashwagandha, organic chamomile, L-Theanine, and L-Tryptophan to help puppies cope with normal stress, nervousness, hyperactivity, and external stressors. They are a tasty and convenient way to help puppies stay calm during various situations like car rides, storms, and firework displays.
#2 – iHeartDogs 9-in-1 Calming Chews for Dogs – Dog Anxiety Relief Bites with Hemp, Melatonin, Chamomile, Passion Flower, Valerian Root & Probiotic – Dog Calming Treats for Anxiety and Stress
The iHeartDogs 9-in-1 Calming Chews for Dogs are natural dog treats that aim to relieve anxiety and stress in dogs. The ingredients include organic hemp powder, melatonin, chamomile, passion flower, valerian root, and probiotics. These treats may also promote better sleep and are allergy-friendly, making them suitable for dogs with food sensitivities. Additionally, with every purchase, 14 healthy meals are provided to shelter dogs as part of iHeartDogs’ mission to support dogs and their owners.
#3 – Finn Calming Aid for Dogs – Natural Calming Chews with Melatonin to Support Stress, Separation & Sleep – 90 Soft Chews
Finn Calming Aid for Dogs is a natural supplement in the form of soft chews that aim to support dogs in times of stress, separation, and sleep issues. The chews contain calming herbs such as chamomile, ginger, and melatonin, along with amino acids to promote relaxation. The product is made in the USA with high-quality ingredients and is certified by the National Animal Supplement Council.
#4 – Okoa Pet Hush Puppy Hemp Calming Treats for Dogs | Anxiety Chews for Separation, Travel, Fireworks, & More | Premium Vet Formulated Natural Peanut Butter Flavor | Made in USA
The Okoa Pet Hush Puppy Hemp Calming Treats for Dogs are designed to help dogs deal with stressful situations such as separation anxiety, travel, fireworks, and more. Made with natural ingredients like pure, whole hemp extract, chamomile, tryptophan, and choline, these treats reduce stress-related behaviors without causing sedation. These heart-shaped treats are infused with a natural peanut butter flavor and contain high-quality hemp extract, making them a safe and effective choice for relieving anxiety in dogs of all sizes.
#5 – PetNC Natural Care Calming Aid Soft Chews for Dogs, 120 Count
PetNC Natural Care Calming Aid Soft Chews for Dogs are a product designed to relieve stress and anxiety in dogs. The chews contain chamomile and l-Tryptophan, both known for their calming properties. The ingredients are human-grade and the product is laboratory tested and veterinarian formulated. Manufactured in the USA, these chews provide a natural solution for dogs in need of relaxation.
#6 – Open Farm Calming Chews, Dog Supplement, Dog Vitamins, Promote Calmness and Reduce Anxiousness Using Traceable and Vet-Approved Ingredients, 12.7 oz, 90 Count
Open Farm Calming Chews are a dog supplement that promotes calmness and reduces anxiousness in dogs. These soft chews are made with traceable and vet-approved ingredients to support reduced anxiousness and improve separation anxiety in pets. The brand also emphasizes ethical sourcing and sustainability by using recyclable packaging and providing transparency in ingredient origins.
What Are Some Good Ingredients for Chews That Can Help Calm a Puppy?
Calming chews and treats for puppies often contain a range of natural ingredients designed to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. Here are a few you might look for:
- Chamomile: This herb is well-known for its calming effects in humans and can provide similar benefits for dogs. It can help to soothe an upset stomach, which can be particularly helpful if your puppy gets a nervous stomach in stressful situations.
- L-Theanine and L-Tryptophan: These amino acids are found naturally in tea leaves and certain foods and can help to promote relaxation and good mood.
- Passion Flower: This plant extract can help to reduce anxiety by boosting the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, which can help your dog feel more relaxed.
- Hemp or CBD: Hemp oil or CBD can potentially reduce anxiety in pets. However, it’s crucial to talk with your vet before giving your puppy CBD, and ensure any products used are designed specifically for pets.
- Ginger Root: This ingredient is known for its ability to soothe upset stomachs and reduce nausea, which can help if your puppy is prone to stress-induced stomach issues.
- Melatonin: A hormone that helps regulate sleep-wake cycles, melatonin can aid in promoting relaxation and sleep.
Remember, it’s always best to consult your vet before introducing a new supplement or diet change to your pet, particularly when it comes to calming chews or treats.
What Are Some Other Ways to Calm a Puppy in Addition to Calming Treats?
In addition to using calming treats, there are several other techniques you can employ to help calm an anxious or hyperactive puppy:
- Regular Exercise: Regular physical activity is essential for a puppy’s health and can help burn off excess energy that could lead to anxiety or hyperactivity.
- Mental Stimulation: Provide plenty of toys and interactive games to keep your puppy mentally stimulated. Puzzle toys that dispense treats can be particularly effective.
- Training: Basic obedience training can provide a structure that helps calm an anxious puppy. Techniques like crate training and consistent commands can help the puppy feel secure.
- Socialization: Introducing your puppy to a variety of environments, people, and other animals can help them feel more confident and less anxious.
- Comforting Environment: Provide a quiet, cozy spot for your puppy to retreat when they’re feeling overwhelmed. This could be a crate with a comfortable bed and a piece of your clothing for comfort.
- Touch and Massage: Gentle touch can be incredibly calming for dogs. You can learn techniques for canine massage, or simply petting your puppy can help to calm them.
- Music or White Noise: Some puppies may find background noise like classical music or white noise calming.
- Consistent Routine: Keeping a consistent schedule can provide comfort and reduce anxiety in puppies.
- Professional Help: If your puppy’s anxiety seems severe or chronic, consider seeking the help of a professional dog trainer or a veterinary behaviorist.
Remember, each puppy is unique and what works for one might not work for another. It can take some time and patience to figure out the best approach for calming your specific puppy. Always consult with a veterinarian if you’re unsure about your puppy’s behavior or health.
Frequently Asked Questions About Puppy Calming Treats, Chews & Supplements
1. What are calming treats and chews for dogs?
Calming treats and chews for dogs are supplements that can help reduce anxiety and stress in dogs. They typically contain ingredients such as chamomile, valerian root, L-theanine, and magnesium, which have been shown to have calming effects on dogs.
2. How do calming treats and chews work?
The active ingredients in calming treats and chews work by affecting the brain’s neurotransmitters, which are chemicals that send messages throughout the body. These ingredients can help to reduce anxiety and stress by promoting relaxation and a sense of well-being.
3. Are calming treats and chews safe for dogs?
Yes, calming treats and chews are generally safe for dogs when used as directed. However, it is always a good idea to talk to your veterinarian before giving your dog any new supplement, just to be sure.
4. What are the benefits of using calming treats and chews for dogs?
Calming treats and chews can help to reduce anxiety and stress in dogs, which can lead to a number of benefits, including:
- Reduced destructive behavior
- Improved sleep
- Increased confidence
- Better social interactions
5. What are the side effects of using calming treats and chews for dogs?
The most common side effects of using calming treats and chews for dogs are mild drowsiness and lethargy. In rare cases, some dogs may experience digestive upset or allergic reactions.
6. How often should I give my dog calming treats or chews?
The frequency with which you give your dog calming treats or chews will depend on the specific product and your dog’s individual needs. However, most products recommend giving your dog one treat or chew per day.
7. What are the different types of calming treats and chews for dogs?
There are a variety of different types of calming treats and chews available for dogs, including:
- Soft chews
- Hard chews
- Liquid supplements
- Powder supplements
8. How do I choose the right calming treats or chews for my dog?
When choosing calming treats or chews for your dog, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Your dog’s age, breed, and size
- The severity of your dog’s anxiety or stress
- The ingredients in the product
- The dosage recommendations
9. Where can I buy calming treats and chews for dogs?
Calming treats and chews for dogs are available at most pet stores, as well as online.
10. Are there any natural ways to calm my dog’s anxiety?
In addition to using calming treats and chews, there are a number of natural ways to calm your dog’s anxiety, such as:
- Providing a safe and comfortable environment
- Regular exercise
- Positive reinforcement training
Conclusion: Best Puppy Calming Treats & Chews
Choosing the right calming treat or chew for your puppy can be a game-changer, enhancing their ability to cope with stress and improving their overall wellbeing. As we’ve explored, there are various products available, each with unique benefits and ingredients. It’s essential to select a product that aligns with your pet’s needs and preferences, and remember, what works for one dog may not work for another. Always consult with your vet before introducing any new supplement to your puppy’s diet. With the right selection, you’re one step closer to providing a happier and more relaxed environment for your furry friend. Let your journey to a calmer puppy begin!