iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Finding the best dog treats for a sensitive stomach can be a daunting task for any pet owner. It’s crucial to consider factors such as ingredient quality, the treat’s source, and any specific dietary needs your furry friend may have. This article will walk you through a carefully curated list of dog treats that are gentle on the stomach, packed with high-quality ingredients, and designed to keep your pet healthy and happy. Whether your dog has a specific food sensitivity or you’re just looking for a gentle-on-the-tummy snack, this guide will be your roadmap to making an informed choice.
#1 – Get Naked 1 Pouch Digestive Health Soft Dog Treats, 5 Oz, Brown
Get Naked 1 Pouch Digestive Health Soft Dog Treats are 100% natural and made in the USA. They contain added Ganado BC30 probiotics and FOS prebiotic to support healthy digestion in dogs. With chicken as the main ingredient, these grain-free treats also provide Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
#2 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Organic Pumpkin Dog and Cat Treats, Organic, Single Ingredient | Natural, Healthy, Diabetic Friendly | Made in The USA
This product is a freeze-dried organic pumpkin treat for dogs and cats. The treats are made from 100% organic pumpkin and are ideal for pets with allergies, sensitive stomachs, or specific dietary requirements. In addition to being a tasty treat, the pumpkin also provides stomach soothing and digestive support, making it a beneficial option for pets dealing with diarrhea or constipation. The treats are low in calories, making them suitable for training or as a diet-friendly treat for overweight pets. The product is sourced, made, and regulated in the USA to ensure the highest quality and is freeze-dried to retain the most nutrients.
#3 – Onward Hound Training Treats for Dogs – Low Calorie Dog Training Treats for Sensitive Stomachs with Single Source Premium Protein, Corn Free, & Soy Free Formula – Soft Bison Dog Treats, 10 oz
The Onward Hound Training Treats for Dogs are low-calorie dog treats specifically designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs. These treats have a single source of premium protein, are corn-free and soy-free, and are made with natural ingredients. They are also soft and easy to carry, making them a convenient option for training on the go.
#4 – Blue Buffalo Basics Skin & Stomach Care Biscuits Crunchy Dog Treats, Turkey & Potato 6-oz Bag
Blue Buffalo Basics Skin & Stomach Care Biscuits Crunchy Dog Treats are made with real turkey and potato, offering a healthy and tasty treat for dogs. These oven-baked dog biscuits provide a satisfying crunch and are free from chicken by-product meals, as well as corn, wheat, and soy. With wholesome ingredients and added vitamins and minerals, these natural dog treats are a nutritious choice for pet owners.
#5 – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Digestive Health Bites Dog Treats – 16 oz. Pouch
The Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Digestive Health Bites Dog Treats come in a 16 oz. pouch and contain natural prebiotic fiber to support digestive health in dogs. Real chicken is the main ingredient, and the treats do not contain any artificial colors or flavors. Additionally, they are fortified with vitamins C and E to help boost the immune system.
#6 – Whole Life Pet Human Grade Probiotic Dog Treats – Pumpkin & Yogurt – Easy Digestion, Firmer Stool, Sensitive Stomachs – Made in The USA
The Whole Life Pet Human Grade Probiotic Dog Treats are made in the USA with high-quality, human-grade ingredients such as chicken, potato, pumpkin, yogurt, flaxseed, and apple. These treats are designed to support healthy digestion and are free from preservatives, chemicals, salts, and artificial ingredients. The freeze-drying process used to make the treats preserves nutrients and concentrates natural flavors, while rigorous quality and safety testing ensures the product’s freshness and lack of harmful bacteria.
#7 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats, Wild Caught, Single Ingredient | Natural High Value | Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein, Diabetic Friendly | Natural Fish Oil | Made in The USA
A Better Treat offers freeze-dried salmon dog treats that are made with wild-caught Alaskan salmon, making them a natural and high-value treat for both dogs and cats. These treats are suitable for pets with allergies, sensitive stomachs, diabetes, or specific dietary requirements, as they are gluten-free, grain-free, and raw-diet approved. In addition, the salmon used in these treats is rich in essential fatty acids, which promote healthy skin and coat, as well as joint and heart health. The treats are sustainably sourced and made in the USA at an FDA-regulated facility, ensuring a high-quality product.
What Makes a Dog Treat Good for Sensitive Stomachs?
When looking for dog treats suitable for sensitive stomachs, several factors come into play:
- High-quality ingredients: Quality ingredients are easier for dogs to digest and less likely to cause an upset stomach. Look for treats made with natural, whole-food ingredients and avoid those with fillers, artificial additives, and low-quality by-products.
- Limited ingredients: Treats with fewer components are often better for sensitive stomachs as they decrease the chances of including an ingredient that might cause an upset. Look for treats marketed as “limited ingredient.”
- Hypoallergenic: Dogs with sensitive stomachs often benefit from hypoallergenic treats, meaning they don’t contain common allergens such as wheat, soy, dairy, or certain types of meat like beef or chicken.
- Easily digestible: Some ingredients are simply easier on the stomach than others. For instance, treats made with easily digestible proteins (like fish or turkey), and carbohydrates (like sweet potatoes or brown rice) can be gentler on a dog’s digestive system.
- Specific dietary needs: If your dog is on a special diet due to food sensitivities, allergies, or specific health conditions, it’s important to choose treats that align with their dietary needs.
Lastly, always remember to introduce new treats gradually to monitor how your dog reacts to them, and always consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns about your dog’s diet or digestive health.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Treats for Sensitive Stomachs
- What is a sensitive stomach in dogs? A sensitive stomach in dogs can refer to several issues, but most commonly, it involves frequent digestive upset. This can manifest as diarrhea, vomiting, gas, and decreased appetite. Dogs with sensitive stomachs have a hard time digesting their food, which can lead to these symptoms.
- What causes a sensitive stomach in dogs? Many factors can cause a sensitive stomach, such as food allergies, dietary indiscretion (eating something they shouldn’t), and changes in diet. Certain breeds are also more prone to digestive issues.
- What should I look for in dog treats for sensitive stomachs? Dog treats for sensitive stomachs should be made from high-quality, natural ingredients. They should be free from artificial additives and common allergens. Limited ingredient treats are also a good choice as they reduce the chance of including something that might cause an upset.
- Can grain-free treats help dogs with sensitive stomachs? Grain-free treats can be beneficial for dogs with grain allergies or sensitivities, but not all dogs with sensitive stomachs will require grain-free treats. It’s best to identify what specific ingredients your dog is sensitive to before making dietary changes.
- Can I give my dog with a sensitive stomach homemade treats? Yes, homemade treats can be an excellent option for dogs with sensitive stomachs, as you’ll have full control over the ingredients used. However, it’s essential to know which ingredients are safe for dogs and consult with your vet for suitable recipes.
- How should I introduce new treats to a dog with a sensitive stomach? Any new food or treat should be introduced slowly to dogs with sensitive stomachs. Start by giving them a small amount and gradually increase it over time while observing for any adverse reactions.
- What are some easily digestible ingredients to look for in treats for dogs with sensitive stomachs? Ingredients such as sweet potatoes, brown rice, and lean meats like chicken or turkey are easily digestible and are often well-tolerated by dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Are there any specific brands known for producing good treats for dogs with sensitive stomachs? Several brands produce treats specifically designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs, such as “Canidae”, “Blue Buffalo”, and “Hill’s Science Diet”. Always read the ingredient list to ensure it aligns with your dog’s specific needs.
- Should I avoid rawhide chews for my dog with a sensitive stomach? It’s generally a good idea to avoid rawhide chews for dogs with sensitive stomachs. They can be tough to digest and could potentially lead to gastrointestinal blockages.
- Can probiotics help a dog with a sensitive stomach? Yes, probiotics can often help dogs with sensitive stomachs. They support a healthy gut flora, which aids digestion and can help reduce symptoms of a sensitive stomach. Some dog treats contain added probiotics for this reason.
Conclusion: Best Dog Treats for Sensitive Stomach
When it comes to sensitive stomachs, finding the right balance of nutrition and palatability can be a challenge. However, with careful consideration and a bit of research, it is entirely possible to find treats that your dog will love, and that won’t upset their digestive system. Remember, every dog is unique, and what works for one might not work for another. Always monitor your dog after introducing any new treats, and don’t hesitate to consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns. Your dog’s health and happiness are always worth the extra effort. So, keep exploring and find that perfect treat your dog can enjoy without any worry.