iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
In the vast world of dog treats, high-value options stand out as the gold standard for trainers, pet owners, and canine enthusiasts alike. These treats are the luxurious delicacies of the dog realm, often utilized to grab a dog’s attention during training sessions or to reward exceptional behavior. Offering the right blend of taste and nutritional value, high-value dog treats can be the key to unlocking your pet’s potential and reinforcing positive habits.
#1 – ORIJEN Freeze Dried Original Dog Treats, WholePrey Ingredients, 3.25oz
The ORIJEN Freeze Dried Original Dog Treats are a high-protein snack made from up to 99 percent animal ingredients, including WholePrey ingredients like nourishing organs. These treats are freeze-dried to preserve nutrients and flavor, making them a convenient option for on-the-go adventures. Produced in the USA with quality ingredients sourced from around the world, these treats provide dogs with a delicious and nutritious snack option.
#2 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Beef Dog Treats, Grass Fed, Beef Liver Single Ingredient | Natural, Healthy, High Value | Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein, Diabetic Friendly | Made in The USA
This product is a freeze-dried beef liver dog treat made with grass-fed beef. The treats are natural, healthy, and high in protein, making them a great option for pets with allergies or dietary restrictions. The beef liver is packed with nutrients that promote healthy skin and coat, and the treats are made in the USA with strict quality standards.
#3 – A Better Treat – Freeze Dried Salmon Dog Treats, Wild Caught, Single Ingredient | Natural High Value | Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein, Diabetic Friendly | Natural Fish Oil | Made in The USA
These freeze-dried salmon dog treats are made with wild-caught Alaskan salmon, offering a natural and high-value treat option for both dogs and cats. The treats are suitable for pets with allergies, sensitive stomachs, diabetes, or specific dietary requirements, as they are grain-free, gluten-free, and raw-diet approved. In addition, the salmon is a great source of essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals, promoting healthy skin, a shinier coat, and supporting joint and heart health. The treats are sustainably sourced and made in the USA, ensuring the freshest and highest quality ingredients.
#4 – Amazon Brand – Wag Freeze-Dried Raw Single Ingredient Dog Treats, Beef Liver, 3.3oz
The Amazon Brand – Wag Freeze-Dried Raw Single Ingredient Dog Treats, Beef Liver is a 3.3oz bag of freeze-dried beef liver treats for dogs. It is made with 100% real beef liver that has been gently freeze-dried to preserve its freshness and flavor. The treats are sourced from Canada and freeze-dried in the USA, and they do not contain any added grain, corn, wheat, soy, potato, egg, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. The treats come in a resealable pouch for convenience.
#5 – Northwest Naturals Raw Rewards Freeze-Dried Treats for Dogs and Cats – Pork Liver – Gluten-Free Pet Food – 3 Oz.
Northwest Naturals Raw Rewards Freeze-Dried Treats for Dogs and Cats are all-natural and provide a healthy alternative for pet snacks and training. These grain-free treats are filled with protein to give your dog or cat the energy they need. They are also chewy and savory, making them appealing to even the pickiest eaters. With flavors like pork liver, these freeze-dried treats are made in the U.S.A. and are free from added hormones or antibiotics.
#6 – Stewart Freeze Dried Dog Treats, Beef Liver, Grain Free & Gluten Free, 12 Ounce Resealable Tub, Single Ingredient, Dog Training Treats
Stewart Freeze Dried Dog Treats are a grain-free and gluten-free option made with pure beef liver, providing support for muscles and eyes. These freeze-dried treats lock in nutrients and freshness for a raw flavor that dogs love. Suitable for dogs of all sizes and made in the USA, these protein-packed treats are great for training and come in a convenient resealable tub. However, customers should be aware that settling may occur in the tub, and treat sizes and quantity may vary.
#7 – Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Dog Treats, Dog Snacks Made in The USA, All Natural Dog Treats, Great Training Treats for Dogs, Duck Nibs 2.0 oz
Vital Essentials Freeze Dried Dog Treats are protein-rich and delicious snacks that dogs love. Made in the USA, these all-natural treats are perfect for training and are suitable for dogs of all sizes. They contain no artificial ingredients, fillers, or by-products, giving pet owners peace of mind. The treats are lightweight and come in a resealable pouch, making them convenient for on-the-go adventures with your furry friend. The duck flavor provides a tasty and nutritious option for dogs, packed with iron, copper, and Vitamin B1.
#8 – Stella & Chewy’s Wild Red Jerky Nuggets Dog Treats Chicken & Duck Recipe, 6 oz. Bag
Stella & Chewy’s Wild Red Jerky Nuggets Dog Treats in the Chicken & Duck Recipe are protein-rich treats that offer dogs both the taste they crave and the nutrition they need. Made with 9% cage-free chicken and duck, these treats are both tender and tasty while also being low in calories. With high-quality ingredients and a grain-free formula, these treats are easy to digest and can be used for training or as a special reward for dogs of any size.
#9 – Gootoe Turkey Tendon Dog Treats – 100% USA-Sourced, Natural Snack, Premium Training Chews, Hypoallergenic, Reseal Value Bags, Sizes for Small Medium & Large Dogs, Bone (Medium) 3 Unit/Pack
The Gootoe Turkey Tendon Dog Treats are made from 100% US-sourced turkey, ensuring the highest standards of quality. These treats are designed to be long-lasting, providing extended enjoyment and supporting your dog’s instinct to chew. They are made with natural ingredients, free from artificial flavors and preservatives, making them a healthy and delicious snack for your dog. Additionally, they are hypoallergenic and easy to digest, making them suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs or food allergies. Chewing on these treats can also help promote dental health by reducing plaque and tartar buildup.
#10 – Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Crunchy Dog Training Treats 8 oz Pouch, Chicken Liver Flavor, Low-Calorie Behavior Aid with 450 treats
The Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Crunchy Dog Training Treats are recommended by professional trainers for dog training and behavior aids. With only a low-calorie count per treat, these snacks are ideal for all breeds and won’t cause weight gain. Made with natural ingredients and real chicken liver, these treats are highly palatable and motivating for successful training sessions.
#11 – Crazy Dog Train-Me! Training Reward Dog Treats 16 Oz., Bacon Regular
The Crazy Dog Train-Me! Training Reward Dog Treats is a 16 oz. pack of dog treats designed to aid in the training process. With bacon as the main ingredient and no artificial additives such as BHA, BHT, or Ethoxyquin, these treats aim to attract, focus, motivate, and reward dogs during training sessions. They are low in fat and calories, making them suitable for repetitive training without filling up the dog. Additionally, these treats are manufactured in the USA.
What Should I Look for When Purchasing a High-Value Dog Treat?
When purchasing a high-value dog treat, consider the following:
- Ingredient Quality: The best treats will have whole-food ingredients, preferably organic or non-GMO. Avoid treats with fillers, artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors.
- Nutritional Value: Ensure that the treat provides beneficial nutrients for your dog. While treats are not a primary food source, they can still offer nutritional benefits.
- Appropriate Size: Depending on your purpose (training versus general rewarding), choose a size that’s suitable for your dog and the situation. Training often requires smaller, quickly consumed treats.
- Palatability: High-value means the treat should be something your dog loves and finds irresistible. This might require some experimentation to discover your dog’s preferences.
- Limited Ingredients: Especially if your dog has allergies or sensitivities, opting for treats with a short ingredient list can help pinpoint any potential allergens.
- Origin & Brand Reputation: Research the brand and ensure they have a history of safety and high-quality production. Ideally, opt for treats made in countries with strict food safety regulations.
- Storage & Shelf Life: Some high-value treats might be perishable and require refrigeration. Ensure you’re able to store them appropriately and use them within their shelf life.
- Cost: While high value doesn’t always mean high cost, be prepared to invest a bit more in quality treats. However, balance this by considering the treat’s benefits and the frequency of use.
- Purpose of the Treat: If you’re training, you’ll want a treat that’s both enticing to your dog and easy for you to handle and give frequently. For occasional rewards, you might opt for something larger or more unique.
- Feedback & Reviews: Look for feedback from other dog owners. Positive reviews and testimonials can provide insights into how well other dogs liked the treat and its effectiveness.
In essence, a high-value dog treats should be one that your dog finds irresistible and is willing to work for, but it should also be safe, nutritious, and suitable for your intended use.
Frequently Asked Questions About High-Value Dog Treats
- What is a high-value dog treat? High-value dog treats are those that your dog perceives as especially delicious and desirable, often making them ideal for training purposes or rewarding exceptional behavior. These treats stand out from regular treats in their appeal to your pet.
- Why are high-value treats important for training? High-value treats can be a powerful motivator for dogs during training. Their strong appeal can help reinforce positive behavior, making the learning process faster and more effective, especially in environments with many distractions.
- Are high-value treats suitable for everyday use? While high-value treats are excellent for training and rewards, they shouldn’t replace a balanced diet. Like all treats, they should be given in moderation to avoid overfeeding or causing nutritional imbalances.
- Can any treat be a high-value treat? Not necessarily. What constitutes a high-value treat can vary from dog to dog. Some might love store-bought treats, while others might find plain boiled chicken or cheese as the ultimate reward. It depends on individual preferences.
- Do high-value treats have more calories? Not always. Some might be calorie-dense, but others might be low in calories. It’s crucial to check the nutritional information and adjust your dog’s overall caloric intake to accommodate the treats.
- Can I make high-value treats at home? Absolutely! Homemade treats, like pieces of boiled chicken, turkey, or lean beef, can be high-value for many dogs. Just ensure that any homemade treat is safe and free from harmful ingredients like onions or garlic.
- How often should I give my dog a high-value treat? This depends on the purpose and caloric content. For training, you might give many small pieces in a short time. For general rewards, it’s best to offer them sparingly to ensure your dog doesn’t consume too many calories or become less motivated by them.
- Are there any risks associated with high-value treats? The main risks are overfeeding and possibly causing a dietary imbalance if given excessively. Some high-value treats can also be rich, leading to stomach upset if consumed in large amounts.
- How should I store high-value treats? Storage will depend on the type of treat. Some might require refrigeration, while others are fine in a cool, dry place. Always check the label or, if homemade, consider the ingredients and their typical storage needs.
- Can I use high-value treats for dogs with food allergies? Yes, but with caution. Ensure the treat doesn’t contain the allergen your dog is sensitive to. There are many hypoallergenic high-value treat options available, and many can be made easily at home. Always monitor your dog for any adverse reactions.
Conclusion: Best High-Value Dog Treats
Selecting the best high-value dog treats goes beyond merely picking the priciest option off the shelf. It’s about understanding your dog’s preferences, dietary needs, and the purpose of the treat in their regimen. Whether used for advanced training or simply to pamper your furry companion, choosing the right high-value treat can strengthen the bond between you and your dog, making every shared moment even more special. Remember, it’s not just about the taste, but the quality, ingredients, and love behind every rewarding gesture.