iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Navigating the world of canine nutrition can be a complex endeavor, especially when it comes to supplements that can truly make a difference in your dog’s health. Fatty acids, particularly Omega-3 and Omega-6, have garnered much attention for their myriad health benefits. These essential fatty acids are not only pivotal for maintaining a shiny coat and healthy skin but also play a significant role in cognitive function, joint health, and the overall immune system. In this article, we will delve into the best fatty acid supplements available for dogs, helping you make an informed choice for your furry friend.
#1 – iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats – Nourishing Skin & Coat Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs Supports Allergy & Itch Relief, Heart Health and Joint Health – 32 oz
The iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats is a single-ingredient omega fatty acid source that promotes a healthy immune system, heart health, and joint health, and nourishes the skin and coat. It provides dynamic health support for pets, including relief from allergies and itchy skin, and aids in pain and mobility support. The salmon oil is sustainable, traceable, and made without GMOs, antibiotics, preservatives, or additives. Additionally, each purchase of the product provides 12 meals for shelter dogs, supporting iHeartDogs’ mission to help dogs and their owners.
#2 – Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs – with AlaskOmega for EPA & DHA Fatty Acids – Hip & Joint Support + Skin & Coat Chicken Flavor (90 Soft Chews)
Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs is a supplement designed to improve the overall health of dogs. Made with AlaskOmega, which is derived from Wild Alaskan Pollock, these treats provide a source of omegas (with EPA and DHA) to boost wellness. Additionally, the formula contains vitamins and antioxidants that may improve dry and sensitive skin, promote a soft and shiny coat, and support joint, heart, and immune health. As America’s #1 1-selling dog Supplement Brand on Amazon, these chew treats are a popular choice for dog owners.
#3 – Amazing Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs – Omega 3 for Dogs Shedding and Itchy Skin Relief for Dog Dry Skin and Hot Spots, EPA and DHA Fatty Acids, Dog Skin and Coat Supplement – 120 Salmon Flavor Chews
The Amazing Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs is a salmon-flavored chewable supplement designed to alleviate itching and dry skin in dogs. It contains EPA and DHA fatty acids to improve the appearance and feel of a dog’s coat. Made in America and 3rd party verified for purity, this product is a convenient and mess-free alternative to liquid or powder supplements.
Related: 7 Best Salmon Dog Foods
#4 – Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs & Cats – Omega 3 Skin & Coat Support – Liquid Food Supplement for Pets – Natural EPA + DHA Fatty Acids for Joint Function, Immune & Heart Health 8 Fl Oz
Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is a liquid food supplement designed to support the skin and coat health of dogs and cats. It contains essential fatty acids, including Omega-3 and Omega-6, which can help keep the skin and coat soft and healthy. The high-quality salmon oil is manufactured in FDA-registered facilities in the USA, ensuring its safety and reliability as a pet supplement.
#5 – Stratford Pharmaceuticals EZ Chew Omega 3 Fatty Acid Soft Chew Max Strength – Dog Omega 3 Supplement – Soft Chew Treats with Fish Oil for Dogs – Small and Medium Dogs – 60 Soft Chews
The Stratford Pharmaceuticals EZ Chew Omega 3 Fatty Acid Soft Chew Max Strength is a dog supplement that provides essential nutrients in the form of tasty soft chews. These chews are packed with fish oil, rich in long-chain fatty acids EPA and DHA, and Vitamin E, which are important for proper cardiovascular, immune function, and inflammatory response in dogs. Additionally, these chews help prevent and treat dry skin and arthritis in dogs, supporting joint function and keeping their skin moisturized. Made with all-natural ingredients in the USA, this product is only available through licensed veterinarians and meets strict manufacture and labeling requirements. The mess-free feature of these soft chews makes it convenient to administer to dogs without the hassle of a strong fish oil odor.
#6 – Vets Preferred Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs – Premium Omega 3 Fish Oil for Healthy Dog Coat – Immune Support and Heart Health – All Natural – Rich in EPA and DHA
Vets Preferred Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs is a natural dog coat supplement that helps improve the health and appearance of dogs’ coats. It contains omega-3 fatty acids that promote a shiny and healthy coat while also supporting overall health. The fish oil is made from wild, non-farmed salmon sourced from Alaska and is veterinarian-formulated for maximum effectiveness.
#7 – iHeartDogs Allergy & Itch Relief for Dogs with Salmon Oil, Quercetin, Colostrum, Antioxidants and Probiotics – 90 Count
The iHeartDogs Allergy & Itch Relief for Dogs is a supplement designed to provide relief for dogs suffering from allergies and itchy skin. It contains a proprietary blend of natural ingredients that boost the immune system and help alleviate symptoms such as itching, scratching, and skin irritation. The supplement also includes salmon oil, which is rich in omega fatty acids for overall health, and colostrum, which provides natural immune system support. Additionally, reishi mushrooms in the formula have immune-modulating properties that help control histamines and reduce allergy symptoms.
#8 – Pawstruck Natural Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs Soft Chew Supplement (Small & Medium Dogs, 60 CT) w/Omega-3 Fatty Acids, EPA, DHA, Vitamin E for Healthy Skin, Coat, Joints & Brain Function, Made in USA
Pawstruck Natural Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs is a soft chew supplement designed to support healthy skin, coat, joints, and brain function in small and medium-sized dogs. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA, DHA, and vitamin E to soothe itchy skin, promote a healthy immune system, and reduce inflammation. Made in the USA with high-quality standards, this dog supplement is perfect for picky eaters and is produced by a small business that is dedicated to sourcing and developing products that they use on their own dogs.
What Are The Benefits of Fatty Acid Supplements for Dogs?
Fatty acid supplements, particularly those containing Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, offer a wide range of health benefits for dogs. Here are some key advantages:
- Skin and Coat Health: Omega fatty acids are well-known for improving the condition of a dog’s skin and coat. They can alleviate symptoms associated with allergies and skin conditions, reduce shedding, and give the coat a shiny appearance.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Omega-3 fatty acids like EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) have anti-inflammatory properties. This can be beneficial for dogs suffering from conditions like arthritis or other forms of joint pain.
- Cardiovascular Health: Omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce triglycerides and blood pressure, promoting overall cardiovascular health. They are also known to improve heart rhythm, reducing the risk of heart disease in dogs.
- Cognitive Function: DHA is essential for cognitive development in puppies and can also help improve cognitive function in older dogs. It plays a role in vision and brain development, making it particularly important for pregnant and lactating dogs as well.
- Immune System Support: Both Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids play a role in supporting a dog’s immune system. They can help modulate immune responses and have been found to have potential anti-cancer effects.
- Gastrointestinal Health: These fatty acids can also promote a healthier digestive system, aiding in nutrient absorption and reducing symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.
Always consult your veterinarian before adding any new supplements to your dog’s diet, especially if they are already on medication or have pre-existing health conditions.
What Should I Consider When Choosing a Fatty Acid Supplement for My Dog?
When choosing a fatty acid supplement for your dog, there are several factors to consider to ensure you’re making the best choice for your pet’s specific needs. Here are some important considerations:
- Source of Fatty Acids: Look for supplements derived from high-quality, natural sources like fish oil, flaxseed, or borage oil. Fish oil is generally considered the most bioavailable source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Balance of Omega-3 to Omega-6: While both types of fatty acids are beneficial, the ratio between Omega-3 and Omega-6 is important. Many pet diets are already rich in Omega-6, so you may need to focus on a supplement that is higher in Omega-3.
- EPA and DHA Levels: Check the label for the levels of EPA and DHA, which are the most beneficial forms of Omega-3. Higher levels are often more effective but consult with your veterinarian for the appropriate dosage.
- Purity and Quality: Ensure the supplement has been tested for contaminants like mercury or other heavy metals, particularly if it’s fish oil-based. Look for certifications or quality assurances on the packaging.
- Form of Supplement: Fatty acid supplements come in various forms including capsules, liquid, and chewable tablets. Consider your dog’s preference and your own convenience when choosing the form.
- Additional Ingredients: Some supplements include additional beneficial ingredients like vitamins or antioxidants. While these can offer added benefits, make sure to check for any potential allergens or contraindications with existing medications your dog may be taking.
- Veterinarian Recommendation: It’s always a good idea to consult your veterinarian before adding any new supplement to your dog’s diet. They can provide specific advice based on your dog’s health status and nutritional needs.
- Cost and Brand Reputation: While cost shouldn’t be the sole determining factor, it’s worth considering. Opt for a reputable brand that is known for quality and efficacy, even if it’s a bit more expensive.
By taking these factors into account, you’ll be better equipped to choose a fatty acid supplement that’s safe and effective for your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fatty Acid Supplements for Dogs
- What are the main sources of fatty acids in dog supplements?
- The primary sources of fatty acids in dog supplements are fish oil, flaxseed oil, and borage oil. Fish oil is generally considered the most bioavailable source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are particularly beneficial for dogs.
- What is the recommended dosage of fatty acid supplements for my dog?
- The recommended dosage varies based on the dog’s weight, age, and health condition. Always consult your veterinarian for a specific dosage tailored to your dog’s needs, as overdosing can lead to negative side effects like diarrhea.
- Are there any side effects of giving my dog fatty acid supplements?
- Generally, fatty acid supplements are safe, but some dogs may experience mild side effects like diarrhea, vomiting, or fishy odor on the breath. If you notice any adverse reactions, it’s best to consult your veterinarian.
- How can fatty acid supplements benefit my dog’s skin and coat?
- Omega fatty acids, especially Omega-3, are known to improve the condition of a dog’s skin and coat by reducing itchiness, dryness, and shedding. They can also provide relief from symptoms related to allergies and skin conditions.
- Can fatty acids help with my dog’s joint pain?
- Yes, the anti-inflammatory properties of Omega-3 fatty acids like EPA can help alleviate joint pain and improve mobility in dogs suffering from arthritis or other joint issues.
- Do fatty acid supplements expire?
- Yes, fatty acid supplements do have a shelf-life and can go rancid. Always check the expiration date on the bottle and store the supplement as directed to maintain its efficacy.
- Should I consult a vet before giving my dog fatty acid supplements?
- It is always advisable to consult your veterinarian before introducing any new supplement into your dog’s diet, particularly if your dog has existing health conditions or is on other medications.
- Can puppies take fatty acid supplements?
- Yes, puppies can benefit from fatty acids, particularly for brain and vision development. However, it’s crucial to consult your veterinarian for the appropriate dosage and to ensure it’s suitable for your puppy’s diet.
- Is it better to give my dog fatty acid supplements in liquid or capsule form?
- The form of the supplement—whether liquid, capsule, or chewable—largely depends on your dog’s preference and your convenience. Liquid forms can be easier to mix into food, while capsules may be easier for some owners to administer.
- Are there any contraindications for fatty acid supplements in dogs?
- If your dog is taking anticoagulant medications or is about to undergo surgery, consult your vet before giving fatty acid supplements, as they can have a blood-thinning effect. Also, these supplements may not be suitable for dogs with certain conditions like pancreatitis.
Conclusion: Best Fatty Acid Supplements for Dogs
Selecting the right supplement can be a transformative step in your dog’s health journey, offering benefits that range from improved skin conditions to enhanced cognitive and joint functions. With the myriad of options available, the key to choosing the best fatty acid supplement lies in understanding your dog’s specific needs, reading labels meticulously, and consulting your veterinarian for personalized advice. As pet owners, our aim is to provide the best for our loyal companions, and investing in a quality fatty acid supplement can certainly be a step in the right direction.