iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, plays a pivotal role in maintaining the health and well-being of our canine companions. This crucial nutrient aids in metabolizing fats, carbohydrates, and proteins, contributing to a healthy coat, skin, and more. However, not all dogs get adequate biotin from their diet, making supplementation a beneficial consideration. In this article, we will explore some of the best biotin supplements available for dogs, and help you understand the factors to consider when selecting the right product for your furry friend.
#1 – Nickers Bio Coat Concentrated Biotin Supplement – 6 oz
Nickers Bio Coat Concentrated Biotin Supplement is a 6 oz product that provides a concentrated dose of biotin in a powder form. Biotin is a vital B vitamin that supports the synthesis of fatty acids, which are crucial for healthy skin and coats. This supplement is designed to address common issues such as dry skin, excessive shedding, and dull or thin coats. Additionally, BioCoat contains primary dried yeast, a highly nutritious ingredient that sets it apart from typical brewers’ yeast supplements.
#2 – Dr. Bill’s Canine Optimum Skin & Coat (680g) – Skin Supplement for Dogs with Biotin, Type I & III Marine Collagen, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Hyaluronic Acid, Biotin, & Folic Acid
Dr. Bill’s Canine Optimum Skin & Coat is a skin supplement for dogs that aims to reduce shedding and itching while promoting healthy coats. It is recommended for dogs of all ages and contains biologically appropriate, natural ingredients such as marine collagen, omega-3 fatty acids, hyaluronic acid, biotin, and folic acid. Developed by veterinarian Dr. Bill Barnett, these supplements have been used and recommended by professionals in the industry for over 35 years. Additionally, Dr. Bill’s supplements are made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients.
#3 – Vet’s Best Skin & Coat Soft Chew Dog Supplements | Formulated with Vitamin E & Biotin To Maintain Dogs Healthy Skin & Coat | 30 Day Supply
Vet’s Best Skin & Coat Soft Chew Dog Supplements are daily treats designed to promote healthy skin, a shiny coat, and overall wellness in dogs. Formulated by veterinarians, the supplements contain a balanced blend of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids, as well as biotin and vitamin E to support nail health. Made with natural ocean kelp, the supplements also provide antioxidants and prebiotics for a healthy immune system and digestion. Each bag of 30 chewable tablets carries the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) Seal of Approval and is made in the USA. Suitable for dogs and puppies over 12 weeks old up to 75 pounds.
#4 – Omega 3 Dog Chews with Biotin & Vitamin E – Allergy Chews for Dogs Itching – Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil – Skin and Coat Supplement – Omega 3 6 9 – EPA & DHA Fatty Acids – Made in USA – 120 Treats
These Omega 3 Dog Chews are made with biotin and vitamin E and provide numerous benefits for dogs. They contain omega-3 fatty acids with EPA and DHA, which promote a shiny and soft coat. In addition to improving skin and coat conditions, these chews also support overall pet health, including joint health, immune system function, and cardiovascular activity. They are made in the USA and are backed by a refund guarantee.
#5 – The Missing Link Skin & Coat Probiotics Superfood Supplement Powder for Dogs – Omegas 3 & 6, Fiber, Vitamin-E, Biotin – Supports Healthy Skin & Glossy Coat, Promotes Hair Growth – 1lb
The Missing Link Skin & Coat Probiotics Superfood Supplement Powder for Dogs is a product designed to promote healthy skin and coats in dogs. It includes ingredients such as omegas 3 and 6, fiber, vitamin E, and biotin to support soft and glossy fur, and hair growth, and to protect sensitive skin. The powder form is said to be the most effective way to deliver fresh and potent ingredients, and the formulation includes probiotics to aid in absorption. This product is veterinarian formulated for daily use and is made in the USA using high-quality ingredients.
#6 – Healthy Skin Dog Fish Oil Supplements – 180 Delicious Chew Treats – Omega 3 Rich Salmon Oil, EPA, DHA, Biotin, and Vitamin E for Healthier, Shinier, Skin, Coat and Fur, Helps Skin Allergies
The Healthy Skin Dog Fish Oil Supplements is a daily supplement designed to improve the overall health and appearance of a dog’s skin, coat, and fur. The product contains omega-3-rich salmon oil, EPA, DHA, biotin, and vitamin E, all of which contribute to healthier and shinier fur. In addition, the supplement helps to reduce itching, flaking dandruff, and shedding and supports inflammatory response, neural development, and retinal and cell function. The treats are delicious and easily chewable, suitable for dogs of any breed aged 12 weeks and older.
#7 – K9 Collagen PEPTIDE Complex W/BIOTIN – Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs- Supports Healthy Joints, Skin & Coat – Helps in Recovery & Repair– 3+ Months Supply – Over 114 Servings!
The K9 Collagen PEPTIDE Complex is a supplement for dogs that supports healthy joints, skin, and coats. It is made from premium grass-fed and pasture-raised collagen, sourced from hydrolyzed bovine hide collagen. It contains 18 amino acids that aid in muscle and ligament repair, flexibility, and recovery. This product is designed to prevent ailments such as arthritis, hip dysplasia, skin allergies, and gastrointestinal problems in dogs. It provides over 114 servings per jar and is made with all-natural ingredients in the USA.
#8 – Spot & Tango Allergy + Immune Supplement for Dogs | Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, Omega-3, Primrose Oil, Biotin Health Chews | Itchy Skin, Allergy Relief | Real Strawberry & Blueberry Flavor, 56 Count
Spot & Tango Allergy + Immune Supplement for Dogs is a vet-developed product that aims to support a dog’s immune system and relieve allergies. The optimal dosage of active ingredients, such as biotin, wild-caught Alaskan Salmon Oil, and Evening Primrose Oil, is backed by clinical studies. The supplement is made in the USA with real blueberries and strawberries, and it is free of artificial flavors, colors, and common allergens. Suitable for dogs of all ages, these bite-sized chews are convenient to feed and promote healthy skin and strong immune response.
What Are The Benefits of Biotin Supplements for Dogs? Are There Any Risks?
Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, plays a critical role in various metabolic processes in dogs. Here are some benefits of biotin supplements for dogs:
- Skin and Coat Health: Biotin is known to improve the health of your dog’s skin and coat, reducing dryness, itchiness, and shedding. It can also enhance the shine and texture of the coat.
- Cellular Growth and Function: Biotin is involved in cell growth, fatty acid metabolism, and the production of certain enzymes. This contributes to your dog’s overall health.
- Energy Metabolism: Biotin helps convert the nutrients from your dog’s diet into energy, ensuring your pet stays active and energetic.
As for the risks, biotin is water-soluble, which means that excess biotin will typically be excreted in the urine rather than accumulating in the body. Because of this, biotin overdose is extremely rare. However, it is still possible for a dog to have an adverse reaction to a supplement.
Some signs of an adverse reaction can include skin rashes, digestive upset, problems with insulin release and blood sugar regulation. It’s also important to note that biotin can interact with certain medications, like antibiotics and anticonvulsants, reducing their effectiveness.
As always, you should consult with your vet before starting any new supplement regimen for your dog. They can provide guidance on the correct dosage and ensure that the supplement won’t interact negatively with any other medications your dog might be taking.
Frequently Asked Questions About Biotin Supplements for Dogs
- What is Biotin? Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, is a water-soluble vitamin that plays a vital role in metabolizing fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, cell growth, and the production of certain enzymes in dogs.
- What are the benefits of Biotin supplements for dogs? Biotin is crucial for maintaining healthy skin and a shiny coat, promoting cell growth, aiding in fatty acid metabolism, and supporting energy production. Thus, it can help alleviate skin issues, excessive shedding, and lethargy in dogs.
- Can I give my dog too much Biotin? Biotin is water-soluble, meaning that any excess will be excreted through the urine. Overdoses are rare, but it’s best to follow the dosage instructions on the supplement packaging or those given by your vet.
- How much Biotin should I give my dog? The dosage depends on the size, age, and overall health condition of your dog. It’s recommended to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines or consult with a veterinarian for a more tailored approach.
- Can Biotin interact negatively with other medications my dog is taking? Biotin can interfere with the effectiveness of certain medications, including antibiotics and anticonvulsants. Always consult your vet before starting a new supplement if your dog is on medication.
- Are there any side effects of Biotin supplements in dogs? Biotin is generally safe and well-tolerated by dogs. However, some dogs may experience mild side effects such as skin rashes, digestive upset, and problems with insulin release and blood sugar regulation.
- How long will it take to see the benefits of a Biotin supplement in my dog? It may take a few weeks to a few months of consistent supplementation to see noticeable improvements, especially for skin and coat health.
- Can all dogs benefit from Biotin supplements? While all dogs need biotin for their metabolic processes, not all require supplementation. Dogs with skin issues, excessive shedding, or brittle nails may benefit the most from biotin supplements.
- Can I give my dog human Biotin supplements? While biotin itself is the same whether it’s in a human or dog supplement, it’s always safest to use products specifically designed for dogs. Human supplements may contain other ingredients that aren’t safe for dogs.
- What should I look for when choosing a Biotin supplement for my dog? Look for a reputable brand that provides transparent information about the ingredients and their sourcing. Additionally, consider the form of the supplement (liquid, tablet, etc.) and choose what would be easiest for your dog to ingest.
Conclusion: Best Biotin Supplements for Dogs
Biotin supplements can be an excellent addition to your dog’s diet, especially for those who may require a little extra help due to skin conditions, shedding, or brittle nails. The market is saturated with an array of products, and the choices can be overwhelming. However, by focusing on factors such as the quality of ingredients, the form of the supplement, and the ease of administration, you can navigate toward a suitable choice. As always, before adding any supplement to your dog’s regimen, consult with a veterinarian to ensure it’s the right fit for your pup’s specific needs and overall health. Remember, a healthy dog is a happy dog!