iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Ginger, a versatile root that’s been celebrated for its medicinal properties in human health for centuries, has recently made its mark in the canine world too. This flavorful herb doesn’t just spice up our meals, but when formulated correctly, it can offer a myriad of health benefits to our furry friends. From aiding digestion to reducing inflammation, ginger supplements are becoming a go-to for many dog owners. This article delves deep into the best ginger supplements available for dogs and why they might be the next big addition to your pet’s wellness routine.
#1 – ROGUE PET SCIENCE Turmeric Plus for Dogs – Tasty Powdered Ginger & Fermented Turmeric Dog Food Topper – Supports Joint Inflammation, Allergies, Gut and Digestion – Helps Reduce Swelling(5.25 oz)
ROGUE PET SCIENCE Turmeric Plus for Dogs is a powdered food topper that contains fermented turmeric and ginger, which support joint inflammation, allergies, gut health, and digestion in pets. The supplement features a scientifically proven curcumin transporter for enhanced absorption and is made using high-quality organic ingredients without sugars, dyes, preservatives, or animal grease. Rogue Pet Science prides itself on producing innovative and scientifically backed pet supplements that prioritize nutrition, health, and performance.
#2 – Zesty Paws Probiotics for Dogs – Digestive Enzymes for Gut Flora, Digestive Health, Diarrhea & Bowel Support – Clinically Studied DE111 – Dog Supplement Soft Chew for Pet Immune System – VS – 90 Count
Zesty Paws Probiotics for Dogs is a digestive supplement designed to support gut health and immunity in dogs. Formulated by veterinarians, it contains a blend of prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics to aid digestion and promote overall health for dogs of all sizes. The chewable supplement includes DE111 Bacillus subtilis and VitaFiber to support gut function, as well as ginger extract and a bacterial blend to support digestive motility and the protective layers of the bowel. With ingredients like amylase, protease, and Lactobacillus acidophilus, these soft chews aim to improve tummy health and promote a healthy immune response in dogs.
#3 – Hyland’s Naturals – Probiotics for Dogs – Total Gut Health, 90 Soft Chews, with ACTIGEN PREBIOTIC & Organic Ginger Root, Bacon Flavor
Hyland’s Naturals Probiotics for Dogs is a product that aims to support the overall gut health of dogs. It contains a blend of 6 strains of probiotics and organic ginger root powder. The inclusion of Bacillus Coagulans, a powerful probiotic, helps to promote digestive function and immune system health. Additionally, the product includes ACTIGEN, a prebiotic that promotes normalized gut flora and optimizes stool consistency. These ingredients work together to provide comprehensive gut support for dogs.
#4 – The Missing Link Digestion Superfood Supplement Powder for Dogs & Cats – Fiber, 7-Probiotic Blend + Chicory Root Prebiotic, Ginger, Chamomile – Supports Daily Digestive & Bowel Health – 1lb
The Missing Link Digestion Superfood Supplement Powder for Dogs & Cats is a powder supplement that promotes daily digestive and bowel health in pets. It contains a 7-probiotic blend, dried chicory root prebiotic, ginger, and chamomile to support a healthy digestive system. The product is formulated by veterinarians and made in the USA using patented cold process manufacturing technology for maximum nutritional value. It is designed to be used on a daily basis to help pets live their best lives.
#5 – Zesty Paws OraStix for Dogs – Probiotic Sticks with Hemp Seed Curcumin Ginger Root Taurine – Supports Gut Function Flora Immune System Proprietary Healthy Teeth Gum Blend – 12oz
Zesty Paws OraStix for Dogs are probiotic sticks designed to support the gut function, immune system, and periodontal health of dogs. Each stick contains 50 million CFU of Bacillus subtilis DE111, a clinically studied ingredient that promotes normal gut and immune system function. The sticks also include hemp seed, ginger root, curcumin, and taurine to provide additional support for gut health and immune system function. Additionally, these sticks feature a proprietary Healthy Teeth & Gum Complex with peppermint oil, rosemary, and kelp to support normal periodontal health in dogs.
#6 – Happy Go Healthy Gut Health Supplements for Dogs | Prebiotic & Probiotic Food Topper with Ginger Root, Icelandic Seaweed, and Organic Kelp | All Breeds and Sizes | 60 Count
Happy Go Healthy Gut Health Supplements for Dogs is a supplement that aims to support digestive health in dogs of all breeds and sizes. Made in the USA with high-quality ingredients, the supplements contain probiotics and prebiotics to promote a healthy microflora, digestion, immune system, and provide allergy and yeast infection support. In addition to probiotics, the supplements also include ginger root, organic Icelandic seaweed, and organic kelp for added nutritional benefits. The supplements can be easily added to a dog’s regular food, providing a tasty and nutritious boost to their diet.
What Are The Benefits of Ginger for Dogs?
Ginger, a well-known herb with a long history in traditional medicine, has several potential benefits for dogs. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Ginger contains gingerols, which are natural anti-inflammatory compounds. These can help reduce inflammation, making it beneficial for dogs with conditions like arthritis or other inflammatory issues.
- Digestive Health: Ginger is commonly recommended to alleviate gastrointestinal irritation, stimulate saliva, and suppress gastric contractions as food and fluids move through the GI tract. This can help with nausea, gas, or bloating.
- Anti-nausea: It’s frequently used as a remedy for nausea, and that holds true for dogs as well. Whether it’s motion sickness from car rides or mild stomach upsets, ginger can help soothe the discomfort.
- Natural Antioxidant: The antioxidants in ginger can combat harmful free radicals in the body, supporting overall health and potentially preventing certain illnesses.
- Pain Reduction: Some studies suggest that ginger might be as effective as synthetic drugs in treating pain, but without the potential side effects. This could be beneficial for older dogs or those recovering from surgery or injury.
- Cancer Prevention: While more research is needed, preliminary studies have shown that ginger has compounds that inhibit the growth of cancer cells, making it a potential natural cancer preventative.
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Ginger might help in regulating blood sugar levels, which could be beneficial for diabetic dogs or those at risk of diabetes.
While ginger offers multiple benefits, it’s essential to introduce it slowly and in moderation to your dog’s diet and always consult with a veterinarian before making significant changes to a pet’s nutritional or health regimen.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ginger Supplements for Dogs
- What are ginger supplements for dogs used for? Ginger supplements for dogs are primarily used to support digestive health, alleviate nausea, and provide anti-inflammatory benefits. They can also serve as a natural antioxidant and potentially aid in pain reduction.
- Are ginger supplements safe for all dog breeds? Generally, ginger is safe for most dog breeds when given in appropriate doses. However, always consult with a veterinarian before introducing any new supplement to ensure it’s suitable for your specific breed and individual dog’s health conditions.
- How much ginger can I give to my dog? The appropriate dose of ginger varies based on the dog’s size and the specific issue being addressed. Generally, a small amount, such as a 1/4 teaspoon for smaller dogs or up to a teaspoon for larger breeds, is a good starting point. Always start with a smaller dose and monitor for any adverse reactions.
- Are there any side effects of ginger supplements for dogs? While ginger is generally safe, some dogs might experience stomach upset or diarrhea. If given in extremely high doses, ginger can cause heartburn, bloating, and excessive thirst.
- Can I give my dog ginger supplements daily? Yes, ginger can be given daily, especially if it’s helping with a chronic issue like arthritis. However, it’s essential to ensure you’re providing an appropriate dose and to regularly check with your veterinarian.
- Can I give my dog fresh ginger instead of a supplement? Yes, fresh ginger can be given to dogs, but it should be introduced gradually and in moderation. Ensure it’s finely chopped or grated and mixed well with their food.
- Are there any interactions between ginger and other medications? Ginger can interfere with certain medications, including blood thinners and diabetes medications. Always consult with a vet if your dog is on any medications before introducing ginger.
- How should I store ginger supplements for dogs? Store ginger supplements in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. If using fresh ginger, keep it refrigerated and use it within a few weeks.
- How soon can I expect to see results after giving my dog ginger? The effects of ginger, especially its anti-nausea properties, can be seen relatively quickly, often within an hour. For benefits like reducing inflammation, consistent usage over a longer period might be needed.
- Is there a specific type of ginger supplement best for dogs? Whether in powder, capsule, or liquid form, ensure that the ginger supplement you choose for your dog is of high quality, free from fillers, and ideally formulated specifically for pets. Always choose a reputable brand and consult with a vet for recommendations.
Conclusion: Best Ginger Supplements for Dogs
Incorporating ginger supplements into your dog’s diet can be a natural way to support their overall health, but like all things, it’s essential to choose quality products. As we’ve explored, ginger has an impressive list of potential benefits for dogs, from easing upset stomachs to supporting joint health. As always, it’s crucial to consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new supplement to ensure it’s suitable for your pup. With the right guidance and high-quality product, ginger might just become your dog’s favorite new health booster.