iHeartDogs is reader-supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
As our canine companions age or face health challenges, inflammation can become a common concern, often leading to discomfort or more serious health issues. While there are various synthetic anti-inflammatory drugs available, many pet owners are turning their attention to natural alternatives, aiming to provide relief for their dogs in the gentlest way possible. This article delves into the best natural anti-inflammatories for dogs, highlighting their benefits and the science behind their effectiveness.
#1 – iHeartDogs Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs – Dog Anxiety Relief Bites with Hemp – Bacon Flavored Dog Calming Treats for Anxiety and Stress
The iHeartDogs Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs are bacon-flavored soft chews designed to help relieve anxiety and stress in dogs. These treats aim to promote a sense of calm and natural joint mobility in dogs. They have been 3rd party tested and approved by the Clean Label Project, ensuring their safety and quality.
#2 – Honest Paws Hemp Oil for Dogs – Natural Hemp Seed Oil and Calming Purity Drops for Dogs Rich in Omega 3 6 9 to Promote Healthy Bones, Joint Support, Relaxation and Relieve Discomfort -Made in The USA
Honest Paws Hemp Oil for Dogs is a natural hemp seed oil that aims to promote various health benefits for dogs. It contains omega 3, 6, and 9 to support healthy bones and joints, relieve discomfort, and promote relaxation. Additionally, it may help improve skin health and strengthen the immune system. Overall, this product offers a holistic alternative for pet owners looking to provide their dogs with natural relief and support.
#3 – Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs – for Hip & Joint Mobility Supports Canine Digestive Cardiovascular & Liver Health Coconut Oil for Skin Health with 95% Curcuminoids + BioPerine Duck, 90 Count
Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs is a natural supplement that aims to support joint health, digestive function, and immune support in dogs. The formula contains organic turmeric and Qmin+ curcumin, which can help relieve joint pain while protecting the digestive and immune systems. The product also includes BioPerine, sourced from organic black pepper extract, to improve nutrient absorption. Additionally, the treats contain coconut oil, which can provide joint support, aid in weight management, and promote cognitive function and energy levels in dogs.
#4 – Turmeric for Dogs – Anti Inflammatory for Dogs – 300 Chewable Tablets – Curcumin and BioPerine, Antioxidant, Promotes Pet Mobility, Cardiovascular Health and Liver Health
The Turmeric for Dogs – Anti Inflammatory for Dogs is a supplement that contains curcumin and BioPerine, which support joint, hepatic, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular health in dogs. The product is designed to provide relief from joint pain and stiffness in dogs, and the curcumin serves as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. The supplement is manufactured in FDA-registered facilities in the USA and is veterinarian-approved and hypoallergenic.
#5 – iHeartDogs Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs – Advanced 8-in-1 Dog Joint Supplement Chews with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Turmeric & MSM – Bacon Flavor, 90 Count
The iHeartDogs Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs is an advanced 8-in-1 dog joint supplement chew that contains a unique blend of 8 powerful active ingredients, including glucosamine, chondroitin, turmeric, and MSM. It is designed to support and improve your dog’s joint health and function. The supplement is rich in antioxidants and does not contain any added salt, sugar, artificial flavors, or colors, making it suitable for dogs with common food allergies and sensitivities. The manufacturing process used ensures that the active ingredients maintain a high viability, ensuring optimal effectiveness for your dog’s joint care.
#6 – Nutramax Cosequin Joint Health Supplement for Dogs – With Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and Omega-3’s, 120 Soft Chews
The Nutramax Cosequin Joint Health Supplement for Dogs is a veterinarian-recommended retail joint health supplement brand that contains glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, and omega-3 fatty acids. These ingredients work together to support healthy cartilage, skin, and coat health in dogs. Manufactured in the United States with globally sourced ingredients, this high-quality supplement is backed by over 30 years of experience in pet health and is formulated to ensure the safety of your pet.
#7 – Zesty Paws Mussel Mobility Bites for Dogs – Hip & Joint Support – Promotes Mobility & Flexibility – Dog Chewable Functional Supplement – 90 Count
Zesty Paws Mussel Mobility Bites for Dogs is a chewable supplement that aims to provide hip and joint support for adult or senior dogs. The product features cold-processed New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel, known for promoting normal mobility in dogs. It is America’s top-selling dog supplement brand on Amazon and comes in a delicious chicken flavor that dogs enjoy.
#8 – iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats – Nourishing Skin & Coat Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs Supports Allergy & Itch Relief, Heart Health and Joint Health – 32 oz
The iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats is a single-ingredient omega fatty acid source made from 100% Norwegian salmon oil. It supports a healthy immune system, heart health, and joint health, and promotes healthy skin and coat. The oil provides relief for itchy and dry skin, revitalizing coats and minimizing shedding. It is sustainably produced, traceable, and free from GMOs, antibiotics, preservatives, or additives. Additionally, with each purchase of the salmon oil, 12 meals will be provided to shelter dogs.
#9 – iHeartDogs Omega 3-6-9 for Dogs – Skin and Coat Fish Oil Supplement for Dogs with Pure Antarctic Krill Oil – Allergy & Itchy Skin Relief Chews, 120 Count
The iHeartDogs Omega 3-6-9 for Dogs is a skin and coat supplement that provides several health benefits for your furry friend. Formulated by veterinarians, this supplement contains essential omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids, including EPA, DHA, and GLA. It provides relief for dogs with allergies and itchy skin, promotes a soft and silky coat, and supports overall skin health. The supplement is allergy-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free, and soy-free, making it suitable for dogs with food sensitivities. Additionally, its manufacturing process ensures that the active ingredients maintain their viability in the most natural and sustainable way possible.
What Are The Anti-Inflammatory Benefits of Omega-3, CBD Oil, Turmeric, Glucosamine, and Green-Lipped Mussels for Dogs?
Certainly! Each of these natural compounds has its unique anti-inflammatory benefits for dogs:
Omega-3 fatty acids, especially those found in fish oil, are renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties.
- They can help reduce the inflammation associated with arthritis, promoting better joint health.
- They have also been shown to support skin health, reducing inflammatory skin conditions and promoting a shiny coat.
- Omega-3s can aid in decreasing the production of inflammatory substances in the body, making them beneficial for dogs with chronic inflammatory conditions.
- CBD Oil:
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is derived from the hemp plant and has become increasingly popular for its therapeutic properties.
- CBD can help reduce pain and inflammation in dogs without the psychoactive effects associated with THC.
- It can also help manage inflammatory conditions like arthritis, and its calming effects can be beneficial for dogs with anxiety or stress.
- Turmeric (especially its active component, Curcumin):
This vibrant yellow spice has been used medicinally for centuries.
- Curcumin, the active component in turmeric, has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- It can help reduce joint pain and inflammation, making it beneficial for arthritic dogs.
- Regular supplementation can also support overall immune health and organ function.
Primarily known for its joint health benefits, glucosamine is a natural compound found in healthy cartilage.
- Glucosamine supplements can help alleviate joint pain and inflammation by supporting cartilage regeneration and lubricating joints.
- It’s often used in conjunction with chondroitin for enhanced joint protection, especially for senior dogs or those with joint issues.
- Green Lipped Mussels:
Native to New Zealand, these mussels are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and other beneficial compounds.
- They contain a unique combination of fatty acids not found in other marine or plant sources, which can help reduce joint swelling and inflammation.
- Green-lipped mussels also provide chondroitin, glucosamine, and other minerals, supporting overall joint health.
While each of these natural compounds offers significant benefits, it’s essential to consult with a veterinarian before adding any supplement to your dog’s routine. Proper dosage and monitoring can ensure optimal results and the safety of your pet.
What Are The Best Natural Anti-inflammatories for Dogs?
Certainly! Various natural compounds and ingredients have shown anti-inflammatory properties that can benefit dogs. Here are some of the best natural anti-inflammatories for dogs:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Found in fish oils like salmon or krill oil, omega-3s can significantly reduce inflammation. They’re beneficial for conditions like arthritis, skin allergies, and more.
- Turmeric (and its active component, Curcumin): A widely recognized anti-inflammatory spice, turmeric can help alleviate joint pain and inflammation. It’s often mixed with black pepper (which contains piperine) to increase its bioavailability in the body.
- CBD Oil: Derived from the hemp plant, CBD has been shown to reduce pain and inflammation without the psychoactive effects of THC. It’s useful for various conditions, from arthritis to anxiety.
- Green Lipped Mussels: A rich source of unique omega-3 fatty acids, these mussels can help reduce joint inflammation. They also contain other beneficial compounds for joint health.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: While mainly known for joint health, these compounds also possess anti-inflammatory properties. They’re often combined in supplements for dogs with arthritis or other joint issues.
- Boswellia Serrata: An herbal extract, Boswellia has been used traditionally to treat chronic inflammatory conditions. It can be particularly beneficial for osteoarthritis.
- Ginger: Besides its digestive benefits, ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties. It can help reduce inflammation in the joints and improve mobility.
- White Willow Bark: Often referred to as “nature’s aspirin,” white willow bark can reduce pain and inflammation. However, it’s essential to ensure it’s administered in the right doses and under vet supervision.
- Flaxseed: Another source of omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed, can be ground and added to a dog’s diet to help manage inflammatory conditions.
- Aloe Vera: Primarily used for skin conditions, aloe vera’s cooling and anti-inflammatory properties can help soothe skin inflammation and hot spots.
Remember, before introducing any new supplement or remedy, it’s essential to consult with a veterinarian. They can provide guidance on the best options and correct dosages for your dog’s specific needs and ensure there aren’t any interactions with existing medications or health conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions About Natural Anti-inflammatories for Dogs
- What are natural anti-inflammatories for dogs?
Natural anti-inflammatories are substances derived from nature, such as herbs, oils, or extracts, that can help reduce inflammation in dogs without relying on synthetic medications.
- Are natural anti-inflammatories safe for all dog breeds?
While many natural anti-inflammatories are safe for most breeds, individual dogs may have allergies or sensitivities. Always consult with a vet and start with small doses to observe any reactions.
- Can I use human-grade natural anti-inflammatory supplements for my dog?
Not always. Some human formulations might contain additives that aren’t safe for dogs. Always ensure that any product given to a dog is dog-friendly or vet-approved.
- How do omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation in dogs?
Omega-3 fatty acids, especially those found in fish oil, suppress the production of inflammatory substances in the body, aiding in conditions like arthritis, skin allergies, and more.
- How should turmeric be administered to my dog for optimal absorption?
Turmeric’s active component, curcumin, is best absorbed when combined with black pepper or fat. Consider turmeric supplements that include piperine (from black pepper) or mix turmeric with coconut oil for homemade remedies.
- What’s the difference between CBD oil and regular hemp oil in addressing inflammation?
CBD oil contains higher concentrations of cannabidiol, a compound shown to reduce inflammation and pain. In contrast, regular hemp oil is more for nutritional benefits, primarily providing essential fatty acids.
- Can I combine different natural anti-inflammatories for my dog?
While some natural anti-inflammatories can be combined, it’s crucial to consult with a veterinarian first to ensure there’s no risk of adverse interactions or overdose.
- Are there side effects associated with natural anti-inflammatories?
Even natural remedies can have side effects. For instance, too much fish oil can cause diarrhea, and turmeric may upset a dog’s stomach if given in high amounts. Always monitor your dog when introducing a new supplement.
- How long will it take to see improvements in my dog after starting natural anti-inflammatories?
The timeline varies depending on the dog, the condition, and the anti-inflammatory used. Some dogs might show improvements within days, while others might take weeks to months.
- Are there conditions where natural anti-inflammatories aren’t recommended for dogs?
Yes, certain health conditions or medications may interact negatively with natural anti-inflammatories. For example, dogs with clotting disorders or those on anticoagulant medications should avoid some natural anti-inflammatories. Always consult with a veterinarian before starting any new supplement.
Conclusion: Best Natural Anti-Inflammatories for Dogs
Nature offers a plethora of remedies that can help alleviate inflammation and enhance the overall well-being of our furry friends. By opting for natural anti-inflammatories, dog owners can potentially reduce the side effects associated with synthetic drugs, while still providing effective relief for their pets. Always remember, though, that each dog is unique, and what works for one might not work for another. Therefore, it’s essential to consult with a veterinarian before introducing any new remedy to ensure your dog’s safety and best health outcomes.