iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
When a man’s best friend is under the weather, it can be a worrying time for any pet owner. A common issue that many dogs face is diarrhea, which, while often harmless, can sometimes be a sign of a more serious health condition. Therefore, it’s vital to equip yourself with accurate knowledge about the best diarrhea medicines for dogs, to ensure your canine companion’s swift return to their usual playful self. This article will guide you through the top-rated diarrhea medications available, shedding light on their effectiveness, how they work, and when they should be used.
#1 – Vets Preferred Dog Anti Diarrhea Liquid – Dog Diarrhea Relief with Pectin and Kaolin (8 oz.) | Once Every 12 Hours for Dog Diarrhea & Dog Gas Relief
Vets Preferred Dog Anti Diarrhea Liquid is a medication designed to provide relief for dogs suffering from diarrhea. It is formulated with pectin fiber and kaolin clay to soothe and firm the dog’s stomach. This veterinarian-grade product is made in the USA and can be administered once every 12 hours directly or mixed with food. It aims to restore gut health and alleviate discomfort associated with dog diarrhea within 2-3 days.
#2 – Nutramax Proviable Digestive Health Supplement Kit with Multi-Strain Probiotics and Prebiotics for Medium to Large Dogs – with 7 Strains of Bacteria, 30 mL Paste, and 10 Capsules
The Nutramax Proviable Digestive Health Supplement Kit is a product designed to support the digestive health of medium to large dogs. It contains 7 strains of bacteria and provides 5 billion colony-forming units (CFUs) of beneficial bacteria to help maintain a healthy intestinal balance. The kit also includes prebiotics to encourage the growth of beneficial probiotics within the dog’s intestines. This supplement can be especially useful after imbalances occur due to factors such as diet changes, food sensitivities, or stress. The Nutramax Laboratories Veterinary Sciences brand is a reputable company in the field of pet health, with a focus on providing safe and effective supplements backed by scientific research.
#3 – Nutri-Vet Anti-Diarrhea Liquid for Dogs – Helps Sooth Upset Stomach & Stop Diarrhea – Veterinarian Formulated – 4 oz
Nutri-Vet Anti-Diarrhea Liquid for Dogs is a veterinarian-formulated solution that helps soothe upset stomachs and stop diarrhea in dogs. The liquid contains pectin, which provides a protective coating to irritated gastrointestinal membranes, and kaolin, which slows down stool passage by increasing bulk. Made in the USA with high-quality globally sourced ingredients, this product is made to the highest standards of quality and consistency. It is also backed by the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) quality seal.
#4 – Vet Solutions Pro-Pectalin Anti-Diarrhea Oral Gel Dog & Cat Supplement, 30 cc. Syringe
The Vet Solutions Pro-Pectalin Anti-Diarrhea Oral Gel is a supplement designed for dogs and cats suffering from diarrhea caused by stress or other factors. It contains kaolin, which helps soothe irritated intestines and absorbs excess water and bacterial toxins. The gel also includes enterococcus faecium, part of the normal intestinal flora, and pectin, which aids in firming stool by absorbing water. Additionally, the gel uses microencapsulation to protect the bacteria against stomach acids.
#5 – VetriScience Fast Balance GI Paste for Dogs and Cats, 35cc – Gastro Intestinal Support for Gut Health and Food Sensitivities
VetriScience Fast Balance GI Paste is a fast-acting and easy-to-administer paste that provides immediate gastrointestinal support for dogs and cats. It is recommended for pets that are experiencing stress-related GI issues, nervous gut, and food sensitivities. The product contains beneficial probiotics including bacillus subtilis, mixed lactic acid bacteria, and Enterococcus faecium. It is made in the USA and formulated by veterinarians to help pets live happier and healthier lives.
#6 – iHeartDogs 3-in-1 Probiotic for Dogs with Pumpkin for Improved Digestion & Gut Health – Dog Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes, 90 Count
The iHeartDogs 3-in-1 Probiotic for Dogs with Pumpkin is designed to promote healthy digestion and gut health in dogs. It combines probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes to improve digestive health. The product also includes pumpkin and papaya, which provide immune system support and are rich in vitamins and minerals. It is suitable for dogs with food sensitivities and allergies, as it is grain-free, gluten-free, and soy-free, and is made in the USA following strict quality control guidelines.
#7 – Perfect Poop Digestion & General Health Supplement for Dogs: Fiber, Prebiotics, Probiotics & Enzymes Relieve Digestive Conditions, Optimize Stool, and Improve Health (Cheddar Cheese, 12.8 oz)
The Perfect Poop Digestion & General Health Supplement for Dogs is a natural and holistic solution that aims to improve the digestive health of dogs. It helps relieve various digestive issues such as diarrhea, constipation, upset stomach, and bloating. This supplement combines high-fiber grass bits, prebiotics, probiotics, and enzymes to support the healthy gut and overall well-being of dogs. It is made with natural, premium ingredients, is grain-free, and non-GMO.
What Are Some Medicines or Supplements That Can Be Given to a Dog with Diarrhea?
There are a variety of medications and supplements that can help soothe a dog’s upset stomach and help manage diarrhea. However, you should always consult with your vet before administering any new medication or supplement to your dog. Here are a few options:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) Medications: Some OTC medications, like Pepto Bismol or Imodium, can be used for dogs with diarrhea. However, you must consult with your vet for the correct dosage and to ensure they are safe for your specific breed and age of the dog.
- Prescription Medications: In more severe cases, your vet may prescribe a medication specifically designed to treat diarrhea in dogs. This could include Metronidazole or Sulfasalazine.
- Probiotics: Probiotics can help restore the balance of good bacteria in your dog’s gut, which can help alleviate diarrhea. There are many dog-friendly probiotic supplements available on the market.
- Pumpkin: Plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) is a natural remedy for diarrhea in dogs. It’s high in fiber, which can help firm up your dog’s stool.
- Dietary Changes: Sometimes, diarrhea can be the result of food intolerance or sensitivity. A bland diet consisting of cooked chicken and rice can help soothe your dog’s digestive system and reduce the occurrence of diarrhea.
Again, it’s crucial to consult with your vet before giving your dog any new medication or supplement. Diarrhea can be a symptom of a more serious underlying issue, so it’s important to get a proper diagnosis.
Frequently Asked Questions About Diarrhea Medications for Dogs
- What is the first step when my dog has diarrhea? When your dog has diarrhea, the first step should be a visit to the vet. Diarrhea can be a sign of various health issues, from dietary intolerance to serious illnesses. Your vet can help diagnose the cause and recommend the best course of treatment.
- Can I use human anti-diarrheal medications for my dog? Some human anti-diarrheal medications, such as Pepto-Bismol or Imodium, can be used for dogs, but you must consult with your vet first. These medications can have side effects, and dosages for dogs are often much less than for humans.
- How can probiotics help my dog’s diarrhea? Probiotics help restore the balance of good bacteria in your dog’s gut, which can be disrupted by illnesses or medications. A healthy gut flora can help reduce diarrhea and improve overall digestive health.
- Can a change in diet help with my dog’s diarrhea? Yes, a change in diet can often help manage diarrhea. A bland diet, such as boiled chicken and rice, can help soothe your dog’s digestive system. In some cases, your vet may recommend a prescription diet formulated for digestive health.
- Are there natural remedies for diarrhea in dogs? Yes, there are natural remedies such as pumpkin, which is high in fiber and can help firm up your dog’s stool. However, these remedies should be used alongside, not instead of, veterinary treatment.
- How long should I wait before taking my dog to the vet for diarrhea? If your dog has had diarrhea for more than 24 hours, or if the diarrhea is accompanied by other symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, or blood in the stool, you should take your dog to the vet immediately.
- Can chronic diarrhea in dogs be a sign of a serious health problem? Yes, chronic diarrhea can be a sign of a serious health problem, such as intestinal parasites, inflammatory bowel disease, or even certain types of cancer. That’s why it’s important to consult a vet if your dog’s diarrhea persists.
- Can diarrhea medicine for dogs cause side effects? Yes, diarrhea medications can cause side effects. These can include drowsiness, constipation, or changes in appetite. Always monitor your dog for side effects after starting a new medication.
- What should I do if my dog’s diarrhea doesn’t improve with medication? If your dog’s diarrhea doesn’t improve with medication, you should contact your vet as soon as possible. The vet may need to adjust the dosage or try a different medication.
- Can diarrhea medication for dogs be used as a long-term solution? Generally, diarrhea medication is intended for short-term use to alleviate acute symptoms. For long-term management of diarrhea, dietary changes, probiotics, or treatment of underlying health conditions may be needed.
Conclusion: Best Diarrhea Medicine for Dogs
In conclusion, while diarrhea in dogs can be distressing for both the pet and the owner, there are many effective medicines available that can help to alleviate the symptoms and restore your dog’s digestive health. However, always remember that these medicines should be used responsibly and as part of a comprehensive health care plan for your pet, ideally under the guidance of a trusted veterinarian. If your dog’s symptoms persist or if they appear to be in distress, it is important to seek professional veterinary care immediately. Your dog’s health is paramount, and this guide to the best diarrhea medicines should serve as a tool in preserving their well-being.