iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Adaptogens have long been a part of holistic wellness practices for humans, but their potential benefits extend to our canine companions as well. These unique herbs are known for their ability to help the body manage stress and achieve balance. They can be a valuable tool in promoting overall wellness and vitality in dogs, complementing a balanced diet and regular exercise. In this article, we’ll delve into the best adaptogen supplements for dogs, exploring their benefits, usage, and how to select the right one for your furry friend’s needs.
#1 – iHeartDogs Bone Broth for Dogs – Bone Broth & Mushroom Gold Powder Supplement for Immune System Support, Improved Mobility & Flexibility and Natural Detox – Turkey Tail Mushroom for Dogs
The iHeartDogs Bone Broth for Dogs is a nutritional supplement that combines bone broth with a mushroom blend to support the immune system, improve mobility, and aid in natural detox. With its organic chicken bone broth and proprietary mushroom blend, this powder promotes joint rejuvenation, healthy digestion, hydration, and skin and coat health. Its nutrient-rich formula helps enhance the dog’s immune system and promotes overall well-being.
#2 – Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs – with 95% Curcuminoids for Hip & Joint + Arthritis Support – Digestive & Mobility + Immune Dog Supplement – with Organic Turmeric, Coconut Oil & BioPerine – 90 Chew Treats
Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin Bites are a dog supplement designed to support joint health, digestive function, and immune support. The organic ingredients in this formula, including turmeric and curcumin, help relieve joint aches and pains while protecting the digestive and immune systems. These chews also contain coconut oil for additional joint support, weight management, cognitive function, and energy levels.
#3 – Mushroom Immune Support Pet Chews (60ct) Treats for Dogs – Immune Booster Supplements for Pets with Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Blueberry, Olive Leaf, Acerola &Gut Health for Dogs and Cats
The Mushroom Immune Support Pet Chews are a supplement for dogs and cats that aim to boost their immune system and overall health. Made with a blend of real organic mushrooms, herbs, and plant extracts, these chews provide essential nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties. They are also designed to be easily absorbed by pets and are free from gluten, soy, and grains. Real Mushrooms, the company behind the product, prides itself on creating high-quality supplements without fillers or preservatives.
#4 – Fera Pets – Calm – Goats Milk for Dogs – Goat Milk for Cats – Dog Meal Topper – Supports Relaxation – Dog Anxiety Relief – Dog Food Toppers with Ashwagandha & L-Theanine & GABA – Powder – 6.34oz
Fera Pets – Calm – Goats Milk for Dogs – Goat Milk for Cats is a powder supplement that aims to promote relaxation and manage anxiety in pets. It contains ingredients like L-Theanine, GABA, and KSM-66 Ashwagandha, which are believed to improve mood and emotional balance. The product is made with all-natural ingredients and is packaged in recyclable pouches.
#5 – iHeartDogs Senior Super 7 Daily Dog Multivitamin – 7-in-1 Vitamin for Dogs Supports Anti-Aging with Antioxidant and Probiotics for Longevity and Cognitive Boost
The iHeartDogs Senior Super 7 Daily Dog Multivitamin is a 7-in-1 vitamin designed to support the anti-aging process in senior dogs. It promotes longevity and cognitive function while also providing 14 healthy meals to shelter dogs with each purchase. The natural cognitive boost helps reduce stress and improve memory and attention, while the antioxidant support promotes longevity and overall health. Ingredients such as ashwagandha, turmeric, and probiotics further enhance the benefits by reducing stress, inflammation, and allergies, improving vision and immune system function.
#6 – Dr. Mercola, Bark & Whiskers, Organic Mushroom Blend for Pets, 2.11 oz, Supports Digestive and Immune Health, Non-GMO, Soy Free, Gluten Free, USDA Organic
Dr. Mercola’s Bark & Whiskers Organic Mushroom Blend for Pets is a 2.11 oz product that supports digestive and immune health in pets. Made with organic ingredients and free of GMOs, soy, and gluten, this mushroom blend is a natural source of fermented foods. Additionally, it is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
#7 – iHeartDogs Allergy & Itch Relief for Dogs with Salmon Oil, Quercetin, Colostrum, Antioxidants and Probiotics – 90 Count
The iHeartDogs Allergy & Itch Relief for Dogs is a supplement designed to provide relief for dogs suffering from allergies and itchy skin. The blend of natural ingredients boosts the dog’s immune system and aids in digestion, promoting overall dog health. Ingredients such as salmon oil, colostrum, and reishi mushrooms provide additional benefits such as heart health, anti-inflammatory properties, and immune system support.
What Adaptogens Are Safe & Beneficial to Dogs?
There are several adaptogens that are considered safe and potentially beneficial for dogs. These include:
- Ashwagandha: Often used to help manage stress, Ashwagandha can support adrenal function and may help to regulate thyroid hormones, which can be particularly useful for dogs with hypothyroidism.
- Rhodiola Rosea: This adaptogen is known for its ability to enhance physical performance and reduce fatigue, making it a potentially good choice for active or working dogs.
- Holy Basil (Tulsi): This herb can help reduce stress and anxiety, support healthy liver function, and may also have anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Reishi Mushrooms: These fungi are considered superfoods and adaptogens. They can support immune function, promote healthy aging, and help manage stress.
- Turmeric: Although not typically classified as an adaptogen, turmeric’s potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties can help manage stress in the body, making it an excellent addition to a dog’s diet.
Remember, before starting any new supplement regimen for your dog, you should always consult with your vet. They can help you determine the appropriate dosage and monitor your pet for any potential side effects.
What Are Some Reasons to Give My Dog Adaptogens?
Adaptogens have a variety of potential benefits that can support your dog’s overall health. Here are some reasons why you might consider giving your dog adaptogens:
- Stress Management: Just like humans, dogs can experience stress. Adaptogens, such as Ashwagandha and Rhodiola Rosea, help support the body’s response to stress, helping your dog stay calm and relaxed in potentially stressful situations.
- Immune Support: Some adaptogens, like Reishi mushrooms, can boost immune function, which is essential in helping your dog fight off illness and infection.
- Energy and Stamina: If your dog is an active breed, adaptogens can help enhance their physical performance and reduce fatigue.
- Anti-inflammatory Benefits: Many adaptogens, such as turmeric, have potent anti-inflammatory properties that can help manage chronic conditions like arthritis or allergies.
- Support for Aging Dogs: For older dogs, adaptogens can support healthy aging and cognitive function, potentially helping to stave off age-related decline.
- Endocrine Function: Adaptogens can also help support adrenal and thyroid function, which is important for maintaining hormonal balance and overall health in your dog.
As with any supplement, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian before starting your dog on adaptogens. They can help you choose the right ones for your dog’s specific needs and health status, and can guide you on the appropriate dosage.
Frequently Asked Questions About Adaptogen Supplements for Dogs
- What are adaptogens? Adaptogens are a type of herbal supplement known for their ability to help the body adapt to stress, boost energy and endurance, and support normal bodily functions.
- How can adaptogens benefit my dog? Adaptogens may help your dog manage stress, support immune function, enhance physical performance, reduce inflammation, and support healthy aging and endocrine function.
- Which adaptogens are safe for dogs? Many adaptogens are safe for dogs including Ashwagandha, Rhodiola Rosea, Reishi mushrooms, and turmeric. However, you should always consult with your vet before introducing any new supplements.
- How do I administer adaptogen supplements to my dog? Adaptogen supplements can be given orally and often come in the form of a chewable tablet or a liquid that can be added to food. Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- How long will it take to see the effects of adaptogens? The effects of adaptogens are usually seen over time and with consistent use. It may take a few weeks before you notice any changes in your dog’s behavior or health.
- Can adaptogens interact with other medications my dog is taking? Like all supplements, adaptogens can potentially interact with other medications. Always consult with your vet before adding adaptogens to your dog’s health regimen.
- Are there any side effects of adaptogens for dogs? Adaptogens are generally considered safe, but they may cause side effects in some dogs like diarrhea or vomiting. If these occur, stop usage and consult with a vet.
- How do I choose a high-quality adaptogen supplement for my dog? Look for supplements from reputable brands that provide detailed information about the ingredients, dosage, and manufacturing process. Avoid products with unnecessary fillers or artificial additives.
- Can my puppy take adaptogens? It’s best to consult with your vet before giving any supplement, including adaptogens, to a puppy. Their nutritional needs and tolerances are different from adult dogs.
- Can I give my dog the same adaptogens that I take? While some human-grade adaptogens can be safe for dogs, it’s important to consult with a vet before giving them to your pet, as dosages and formulations can vary between humans and animals.
Conclusion: Best Adaptogen Supplements for Dogs
With the increased focus on holistic wellness for our pets, adaptogen supplements for dogs have found their place in the pet health and wellness sphere. They offer a natural way to support your dog’s immune system, promote stress resilience, and contribute to overall well-being. However, it’s crucial to remember that while adaptogens can be a beneficial supplement, they aren’t a cure-all. Always consult with your vet before introducing any new supplements to your pet’s diet. This way, you can ensure that your dog is getting the best possible care tailored to their unique health needs.