iHeartDogs is reader supported. Some of the links below may be paid affiliate links, where we receive a small commission on a product at no additional cost to you.
Just like humans, our furry companions can greatly benefit from incorporating antioxidant supplements into their diet. These supplements can enhance your pet’s overall well-being and potentially prevent various diseases. In this article, we will discuss the best antioxidant supplements for dogs, offering an analysis of their advantages, when and why they might be needed, and how to choose the right one for your four-legged friend.
#1 – iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats – Nourishing Skin & Coat Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs Supports Allergy & Itch Relief, Heart Health and Joint Health – 32 oz
The iHeartDogs Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats is a 100% Norwegian salmon oil that provides numerous health benefits. It is rich in omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids, which support a healthy immune system, heart health, and joint health, and promote healthy skin and coat. The oil also provides relief for itchy skin, hot spots, and dull shedding coats. Additionally, iHeartDogs is committed to sustainability and donates 12 meals for shelter dogs with each purchase.
#2 – Grizzly Omega Health for Dogs & Cats, Wild Salmon Oil/Pollock Oil Omega-3 Blend
Grizzly Omega Health for Dogs & Cats is a dietary supplement that aims to support healthy skin and coats in pets. The product is derived from wild Alaskan Salmon, known for its high levels of omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA and EPA. Additionally, it also includes oil extracted from wild Alaskan Pollock.
#3 – Amazing Turmeric for Dogs Curcumin Pet Antioxidant, Eliminates Joint Pain Inflammation, 120 Chews
Amazing Turmeric for Dogs Curcumin Pet Antioxidant is a chewable supplement designed to eliminate joint pain and inflammation in dogs. These bacon and beef liver flavored tablets are small and easy to chew, making them perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs. The product is made in America and is hypoallergenic, with no byproducts or common allergens. It is recommended to be used as a holistic nutritional boost for dogs of all ages and breeds. If there is no improvement in the dog’s health within 28 days, a full refund is offered.
#4 – Nutrition Strength Coenzyme Q10 for Dogs Grain-Free Supplement, Ubiquinol – The Electron-Rich Form of CoQ10, Promotes Heart Health, Cognitive and Energy Support for Dogs, 120 Chewable Tablets
The Nutrition Strength Coenzyme Q10 for Dogs Grain-Free Supplement is a highly rated product that provides CoQ10, the electron-rich form of coenzyme Q10, to support heart health, cognitive function, and energy levels in dogs. This supplement is a strong antioxidant that protects the dog’s DNA, lipids, and proteins from damage caused by free radicals. It is suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes, and is made in the USA with high quality ingredients.
#5 – iHeartDogs Senior Super 7 Daily Dog Multivitamin: 7-in-1 Vitamin for Dogs Supports Anti-Aging Antioxidant & Probiotics, Ashwagandha, Milk Thistle, Resveratrol, Lion’s Mane, Turkey Tail for Longevity
The iHeartDogs Senior Super 7 Daily Dog Multivitamin is a unique 7-in-1 vitamin supplement for senior dogs. It supports anti-aging and provides various benefits such as promoting longevity in older dogs, boosting cognitive function, and aiding overall health. The product contains natural ingredients like ashwagandha, milk thistle, resveratrol, lion’s mane, and turkey tail, which help reduce stress, regulate mood and anxiety, improve memory and attention, and provide antioxidant support for longevity. Additionally, each purchase of this product helps provide 14 healthy meals to shelter dogs.
#6 – Four Leaf Rover Green Rover – Super Greens with Organic Broccoli Sprout and Spirulina Powder for Dogs – 15 to 120 Day Supply, Depending on Dog’s Weight – Liver Support – Vet Formulated
The Four Leaf Rover Green Rover is a supplement designed to add fermented green superfoods to dogs’ diets. It contains freeze-dried, organic broccoli sprouts and fermented spirulina, kelp, and other grasses and greens that provide probiotics, vitamins, and trace minerals. The product also includes organic grasses and greens that offer probiotics and postbiotics, helping strengthen the immune system and regulate inflammation. The brand prides itself on using only whole foods with no fillers, additives, or questionable ingredients, and offers a 30-day full product refund if customers are not satisfied.
#7 – iHeartDogs Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs – Dog Anxiety Relief Bites with Hemp – Bacon Flavored Dog Calming Treats for Anxiety and Stress
iHeartDogs Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs are bacon-flavored soft chews that aim to provide anxiety relief for dogs. These treats are not only tasty for dogs but also claim to promote a sense of calm and natural joint mobility. The product has been third-party tested and approved by the Clean Label Project.
#8 – Vet Classics Antioxidants with Coenzyme Q-10 for Dogs, with Alfalfa, Green Tea, Vitamin C, & Wheat Grass, 120 Chewable Tablets
Vet Classics Antioxidants with Coenzyme Q-10 is a supplement designed to support overall wellness and a healthy aging process in dogs and cats. It contains a unique blend of highly concentrated antioxidants including alfalfa, green tea, vitamin C, and wheatgrass, which aim to eliminate free radicals and prevent cellular damage. The product may also assist with various health conditions such as skin or ear issues, respiratory infections, and chronic ailments. Vet Classics Antioxidants is suitable for pets over the age of 12 weeks and is manufactured in the USA.
#9 – Zesty Paws Eye Supplement for Dogs – Vision Support with Lutein + Vitamin C & Astaxanthin Antioxidants – Dog Vitamins for Eyes + Fish Oil for Omega 3 EPA & DHA Fatty Acids for Senior Dogs – 90 Chews
Zesty Paws Eye Supplement for Dogs is a daily eye care chewable supplement designed to promote eye health in senior dogs. It contains Lutein and Zeaxanthin to maintain normal eye function, Cod Liver Oil and Omega 3 DHA to support skin health, and Astaxanthin and Beta Carotene to support ocular and visual function. The supplement also contains vitamins and antioxidants to provide overall immune support and keep dogs feeling their best.
What Are The Best Antioxidants for Dogs?
The best antioxidants for dogs include vitamins A, C, and E, selenium, beta carotene, lycopene, and lutein.
- Vitamin A: Found in liver, fish oil, and vegetables like carrots and broccoli, it helps improve skin, coat, and eyes health, and also supports the immune system.
- Vitamin C: While dogs can produce their own vitamin C, supplementation may be beneficial in times of stress or sickness. It boosts the immune system and supports overall health.
- Vitamin E: It is crucial for healthy skin and coat, and heart health, and it enhances the immune system. It is found in leafy vegetables and certain oils.
- Selenium: Found in meat, fish, and whole grains, selenium works with vitamin E to help maintain a healthy immune system and supports heart health.
- Beta Carotene: Found in vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes, it converts to Vitamin A in the body and is beneficial for eye health and the immune system.
- Lycopene: Found in tomatoes, it may help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer.
- Lutein: Found in dark green vegetables like spinach and kale, it supports eye health and could reduce the risk of certain eye diseases.
Remember to consult with your veterinarian before starting any new supplement regimen. The right dose varies depending on the dog’s size, breed, age, diet, and overall health condition.
How Can Your Dog Benefit from Antioxidant Supplements?
Antioxidant supplements can offer multiple benefits to your dog. They help counteract the effects of oxidative stress caused by free radicals, which are harmful compounds that can damage cells, proteins, and DNA.
- Enhanced Immune System: Antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E can bolster your dog’s immune system, making them less susceptible to various diseases and infections.
- Improved Skin and Coat Health: Antioxidants contribute to healthier skin and a shinier coat. Vitamin E, for instance, helps to maintain the skin’s oil balance, reducing dryness and flakiness.
- Better Eye Health: Certain antioxidants, like lutein and beta-carotene, are known to support eye health, potentially reducing the risk of age-related eye diseases.
- Cardiovascular Health: Antioxidants such as lycopene and selenium can support heart health and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Slowing Aging Process: By combating oxidative stress, antioxidants may help slow the aging process, keeping your dog active and healthy for longer.
- Cancer Prevention: Some studies suggest that antioxidants could play a role in cancer prevention, though more research is needed in this area.
Always consult with your vet before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it’s suitable for your dog’s specific needs and conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions About Antioxidant Supplements for Dogs
- What are antioxidant supplements for dogs? Antioxidant supplements for dogs are products designed to provide additional antioxidants beyond what they get from their diet. Antioxidants are substances that help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, thereby protecting cells from damage and supporting overall health.
- Why should I give my dog antioxidant supplements? Antioxidant supplements can be beneficial for dogs in several ways, from bolstering their immune system, improving skin and coat health, and supporting eye and heart health, to potentially slowing down aging and reducing the risk of certain diseases like cancer. However, it’s always important to discuss with your vet before starting any new supplement regimen.
- What types of antioxidants are commonly found in these supplements? Common antioxidants found in dog supplements include Vitamins A, C, and E, selenium, beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene among others. These can all have various positive effects on your dog’s health when administered in the right amounts.
- How do I choose a high-quality antioxidant supplement for my dog? When choosing an antioxidant supplement for your dog, look for products from reputable brands that provide transparency about their ingredients and production methods. It’s also recommended to choose products that have been independently tested for quality assurance.
- Are there any side effects associated with antioxidant supplements? While generally considered safe, some dogs might experience minor digestive upset when starting on antioxidant supplements. If you notice any adverse reactions, it’s best to consult with your vet. Also, extremely high levels of certain antioxidants could potentially be harmful, so it’s crucial to follow dosing instructions.
- Can I give my dog antioxidant supplements meant for humans? Generally, it’s not advisable to give your dog supplements meant for humans as they may contain higher doses than needed for dogs or include additives that are harmful to dogs. Always use products specifically designed for dogs and consult with a vet.
- How often should I give my dog these supplements? The frequency will depend on the specific product and your dog’s individual needs. It’s best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and consult with your vet for personalized advice.
- Can all dogs benefit from antioxidant supplements? Most dogs can potentially benefit from antioxidants. However, the need for supplementation will depend on their diet and overall health. Always consult with your vet before adding any new supplement to your dog’s diet.
- Can antioxidant supplements replace a balanced diet for my dog? No, supplements should not replace a balanced, nutritious diet for your dog but should be used to complement it. While antioxidants can provide additional health benefits, they don’t offer all the nutrients your dog needs to stay healthy.
- Can I use antioxidant supplements for a dog with a specific health condition? In certain cases, antioxidant supplements may benefit dogs with specific health conditions, such as arthritis or age-related issues. However, it’s important to discuss this with your vet first as certain conditions may require specific treatment or dietary adjustments.
Conclusion: Best Antioxidant Supplements for Dogs
Caring for the health of our pets involves a comprehensive approach, and providing the best antioxidant supplements for dogs is one vital component. With the information shared in this article, you are better equipped to make informed choices about the kind of antioxidants your pet needs. Remember, each dog has its own unique needs, so always consult with your vet before starting any new supplement regimen. After all, our goal is to ensure our dogs enjoy a happy, healthy life by our side.